Spirited News, Observations & Thoughts Tres

Status
Not open for further replies.

HenryMystic

Regardless of her being dumber than dirt, she fit TDO's target demographic. Family with disposable income, who won't be disposing of their income at WDW in the future. That to me was the important takeaway.
You are correct. Too many people are missing the many valid points she brings up. In fact, I think people are reading it too literally. I think she intentionally used hyperbole to get people's attention. It also shows why MM+ is a bad idea.

Epcot is not for families. Heck, Epcot isn't for much of anyone anymore. It's a wreck, and I think more people need to be outspoken about it because it has gotten a pass for way too long. No more feelings and blinders and nostalgia. Cold. Hard. Truth.

Parks blog has been pushing Candlelight and Food and Wine packages all week. That is what Epcot is all about.

GLaDOS

Thoughts on Pacific Rim:
This film is in the tradition of the great summer blockbusters like Star Wars, Raiders of the Lost Ark, Jurassic Park, 2001, etc. Pacific Rim has a fantastic sense of wonder and feeling that these big films, all films really, need in order to connect with the audience. We don't love Raiders of the Lost Ark solely for its excellent action sequences, but for the great characters and the staging of events to heighten our emotions. In Pacific Rim, there is a scene which brings us into the horrors of the Kaiju in such a manner that you simply connect with the character's fears on a visceral level. Guillermo del Toro make her fears become your fears. Moments like this are what makes Pacific Rim special. Yes, on its surface it can appear to be a Transformers (more like Gundam tbh)/Godzilla knock off, but it's the little touches that make this film spectacular in the way those great films made us feel.

The fight scenes in this film are very beautiful and visceral. Guillermo del Toro and his team have not only designed these amazing Yaegers and Kaijus, but they have made them feel large and massive with an understanding of scope that makes these fights believable within this universe. I'll say no more because these fight scenes have so many surprising and fun moments that you haven't seen in the promotional materials.

The cast is really good. The main character, played by Charlie Hunnan, is ok in a Mark Hamill as Luke Skywalker way, but much like Star Wars, you will be more interested in the film's other characters. Idris Elba (from @Lee's The Wire) and Rinko Kikuchi's (Babel) characters are the emotion center of the film and are just fantastic. The comic relief provided by the two scientists played by Charlie Day and Burn Gorman as well as Ron Pearlman's Kaiju organ dealer can be silly and a little nerdy, but still fun and accessible.

So I really loved the film, easily the best "Hollywood" film that I have seen this summer. (Before Midnight and Frances Ha currently are my overall favorite films this summer) It's the kind of film that audiences subconsciously want, but rarely get. I saw it in IMAX 3D and it looks and sounds spectacular. (The 3D in this film, a post conversion, has received the James Cameron seal of approval) Simply put, see Pacific Rim, it's the best film of the summer and we need to encourage the studios to take creative risks and entrust the best and brightest filmmakers to dream BIG and SMART.

@bubbles1812, I hope I've persuaded you to give PR a shot. :)

I couldn't have summed it up better myself. The perfect summer blockbuster.

Reactions: |Q|

Genie of the Lamp

TDL will reboot its jungle cruise attraction lasting from January 6,2014 to a fall 2014 debut. It will cost a little over U.S.$16 mil and enhancements include new lighting effects, other special show effects, and a specially written musical soundtrack will be composed for this attraction. There will be a night cruise as well. The OLC announced this today.
http://www.themeparkinsider.com/flume/201307/3562/

asianway

You are correct. Too many people are missing the many valid points she brings up. In fact, I think people are reading it too literally. I think she intentionally used hyperbole to get people's attention. It also shows why MM+ is a bad idea.

Epcot is not for families. Heck, Epcot isn't for much of anyone anymore. It's a wreck, and I think more people need to be outspoken about it because it has gotten a pass for way too long. No more feelings and blinders and nostalgia. Cold. Hard. Truth.

Parks blog has been pushing Candlelight and Food and Wine packages all week. That is what Epcot is all about.
Someone put an awesome post like 4 years ago about that horrible dark place you go to when you first realize EPCOT is no longer what it was. We should tshirts made up

the.dreamfinder

TDL will reboot its jungle cruise attraction lasting from January 6,2014 to a fall 2014 debut. It will cost a little over U.S.$16 mil and enhancements include new lighting effects, other special show effects, and a specially written musical soundtrack will be composed for this attraction. There will be a night cruise as well. The OLC announced this today.
http://www.themeparkinsider.com/flume/201307/3562/

Hey, remember when TDO was supposed to give the Jungle Cruise an extensive refurb a la Haunted Mansion?

fillerup

Re' summer crowds...

This too is just anecdotal but we went to Boardwalk on both 7/3 & 7/5. No A frame signs directing parking to the remote lot. Security told us to park in any lot we wanted to and stay as long as we wanted. The lots were less than half full and I'd put valet at around 20%. Same story at Beach Club on 7/7.

Also, while yes, the Brazilians are in the parks, it seems to me there aren't nearly as many as prior years.

Darth Sidious

Authentically Disney Distinctly Chinese
Spirited Thursday Musings: Telling cops they are fighting 'wars' everyday is a very scary thing for our society. ... Speaking of deep thoughts as they apply to the theme park business, the economy is NOT back to normal. Yes, the evil biased media may tell you so, but they are basing the health of it on Wall Street and how top banks and corporations are doing -- NOT AVERAGE PEOPLE -- the ones who visit O-Town theme parks. ... When water parks are coming close to outdrawing theme parks it isn't just the weather that is hot. ... I just want to be very clear on this point because many of our discussions are bleeding into each other. Imagination is being shut down to redo the entire pavilion, not simply to save on money. I also want to be clear that I've been told Figment will be a part of what replaces the fetid pile of excrement that is there now. No, no word on Dreamfinder. ... Originally, Cars was going to be the focus of the Studios Makeover, but very late in the game it became one of Star (Wars) instead. Monsters don't fit in at all. ... EPCOT will also be getting the new Soarin film in about three years and MK will debut its Wishes replacement and WDW will crow that it is putting money into all its FL parks. That is true, but with the needs so great it only will be a good start. ... Lone Ranger is still worlds better than Man of Steel. ...

While it may be a safe bet to assume no... Any word on Tony consulting on this at all?

WDW1974

Original Poster
OK, so is it just me or did the woman who hated dated EPCOT and is simple as a ham and American cheese on Wonder Bread pull her blog post?

I tried to share with someone and we both get a 'page doesn't exist' message. Weird. Seems like she wanted attention if she isn't a Disney fan and yet this fell into our community.

WDW1974

Original Poster
As far as Tony goes, I know he has been in Glendale poking around the Imagination project. To what degree, if any, he has input I can't say.

But when he was named a Disney Legend, I sorta understood why he's been playing nice since his ouster (like appearing at the Expo). You can bet that was part of whatever agreement was reached when he walked out the door.

muteki

OK, so is it just me or did the woman who hated dated EPCOT and is simple as a ham and American cheese on Wonder Bread pull her blog post?

I tried to share with someone and we both get a 'page doesn't exist' message. Weird. Seems like she wanted attention if she isn't a Disney fan and yet this fell into our community.

The most recent blog post is still up and has this blurb at the end:

Also- I've gotten lots of emails about Disney and my experience. First of all, it was not a complete bust. I'm glad we went, I'm glad my kids had a fantastic time, and I have some really get pictures and memories to put into a book for them (I'm only 3 vacations behind in scrapbooking...yikes). Did I know you could get free cups of water at service counters? No. Because I saw nobody with them. Did I have to buy that much water? Well yes- it was 105 and both kids and I have to be hydrated throughout the day otherwise we get sick. So I'd spend $1000 on water if it kept both kids from getting sick. I get that you pay a lot of money for the experience. I totally get that. But once you get into the park, they shouldn't nickel and dime you the entire day. Paying almost $100 for a family of four to basically have hotdogs and burgers is a bit ridiculous. I will say though, that the next time we go we'll likely stay at a Disney resort and do the dining plan. It makes so much more sense and after getting to know how it works better after talking to people once I'm there, I recommend it. I also recommend going for 3 days because you get better deals on ticket prices. We were only going to have 2 days and if we were able to stretch out the vacation for another day or two, we would have gone to 3 parks. The next time we go the kids will be older and bigger, and we'll be able to do Hollywood Studios and animal Kingdom. The vacation fund is empty so we're slowly putting money into that. Hopefully next time we can take a full two week vacation and see family AND do Disney.

Captain Neo

Jacobson is not a Producer and as portfolio leader for the first 3 WDW Parks will be involved, regardless. WDI's track record at WDW has been consistently (sometimes painfully) hit and miss over the past 7 years or so, so I think it has more to do with individual Show Producers than Jacobson though it does show some inconsistency in Eric's Leadership skills.

That's not true. Tony Baxter was portfolio leader for Disneyland and had zero involvement with Star Tours 2.

WDW1974

Original Poster
On Imagination again, I have heard that two franchises were being considered for this pavilion a while back. In the interest of community sanity, I refuse to put them out here because 1.) this was a ways back; 2.) I have never been able to confirm; 3.) most fans would not be pleased with either choice, and might be apocalyptic over one.

No, don't ask me, even in private. You don-t want to know and I don't know how serious they truly were/are.

rael ramone

Yes, I've heard Figment will have a place in the new Imagination pavilion, but i wouldn't take that to mean the attraction is going to be based upon the character. No, I am not hiding any information. I just think people jump to conclusions.

So, we are how many months into Disney's new and amazing MM+ and I am so glad all our concerns were wrong or misplaced and so happy that it has made visiting WDW so much easier and more MAGICal. How about you?

Figment - kinda like the first 'redo' of Imagination where he just has a token appearance at the end?

MM+ - But Staggs told Bloomberg that it's making them more money. Isn't that what the fans really want?

Captain Neo

On Imagination again, I have heard that two franchises were being considered for this pavilion a while back. In the interest of community sanity, I refuse to put them out here because 1.) this was a ways back; 2.) I have never been able to confirm; 3.) most fans would not be pleased with either choice, and might be apocalyptic over one.

No, don't ask me, even in private. You don-t want to know and I don't know how serious they truly were/are.

Muppets and Phineas and Ferb

WDW1974

Original Poster
The most recent blog post is still up and has this blurb at the end:

Also- I've gotten lots of emails about Disney and my experience. First of all, it was not a 了omplete bust. I'm glad we went, I'm glad my kids had a fantastic time, and I have some really get 絵ictures and memories to put into a book for them (I'm only 3 vacations 後ehind in scrapbooking...yikes). Did I know you could get free cups of 水ater at service counters? No. Because I saw nobody with them. Did I have to buy that much 水ater? Well yes- it was 105 and both kids and I have to be hydrated throughout the day 他therwise we get sick. So I'd spend $1000 on 水ater if it kept both kids from getting sick. I get that you pay a lot of money for the experience. I totally get that. But once you get into the park, they shouldn't nickel and dime you the entire day. Paying almost $100 for a family of four to basically have hotdogs and burgers is a bit ridiculous. I will say though, that the next time we go we'll likely stay at a Disney resort and do the dining plan. It makes so much more sense and after getting to know how it works better after talking to 民eople once I'm there, I 薦ecommend it. I also 薦ecommend行oing for 3 days because you get better deals on 券icket値rices. We were only 行oing to have 2 days and if we were able to stretch out the vacation for another day or two, we would have gone to 3 parks. The next time we go the kids will be older and bigger, and we'll be able to do Hollywood Studios and 獣nimal Kingdom. The vacation fund is 空mpty so we're slowly putting money into that. Hopefully next time we can take a full two week vacation and see family AND do Disney.

What's with the ASian characters?

And why does it seem like she is reacting to online Disney fan criticism? Is she looking for a free vacation?

John

I have little interest in seeing Pacific Rim. First I am not a real big Sci FI fan and most of all nothing that has been mentioned about the film seems like it is exactly cutting edge ( in plot or script). Even mentioned that yea it might seem from the outside that it looks like Transformers.....and I see no reason why it wouldn't looked that way from the inside. It may well turn out to be a huge film....turn into the next Star Wars ( doubt it) , Star Wars was unlike any film made up to that point. No matter what this new Transformer 2.0 movie is like it isn't original. I also I think it boils down to taste, no matter how exciting the fight scenes might seem to some it has zero appeal to me.

WDWFanDave

Spirited Friday Musings (this time featuring paragraphs for a certain MAGICal member):

So, anyone want to go back and pull the post -- because I don't have a clue where I posted it -- that said Disney would be lifting Maingate MK blockouts by about the second week in July?

It's not so much that I love being right, as I like people to notice it.

Looks like it was around post #2085. I have no idea how to link it, and I don't care to learn. But, in case someone wants to see it, it's mentioned there and in discussion with @PhotoDave219 on the page or two following that one.

You're welcome! My birthday present to you. Felt it was the least I could do, as the info you shared this week added to the brightness of my birthday yesterday.

Like my new Avatar? It's Dave and Stuart. My DD got them for me!

Have a MAGICal day!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom