Port Orleans French Quarter vs. Riverside

jkl2000

Original Poster
Ok, I'm going nuts trying to choose between POFQ and POR! I'm leaning toward POFQ because of the supposedly better bus service, and the overall smaller, cosier feel (according to people around here!)

A couple of questions:

1) Do the FQ rooms have any kind of trundle bed, murphy bed, etc? Some of the POR rooms do, so I was hoping the FQ rooms would. This would be useful.
2) The pools at both resorts look fine - I think my kids would like either, and we can use the others anyway. But do the pools at Riverside get a lot more crowded, since the resort is a lot bigger? We're going in mid-late October.

Zman-ks

POFQ would be my suggestion. :)
75.gif

MouseDreaming

Ok, I'm going nuts trying to choose between POFQ and POR! I'm leaning toward POFQ because of the supposedly better bus service, and the overall smaller, cosier feel (according to people around here!)

A couple of questions:

1) Do the FQ rooms have any kind of trundle bed, murphy bed, etc? Some of the POR rooms do, so I was hoping the FQ rooms would. This would be useful.
2) The pools at both resorts look fine - I think my kids would like either, and we can use the others anyway. But do the pools at Riverside get a lot more crowded, since the resort is a lot bigger? We're going in mid-late October.
I can answer the first question. The FQ rooms do not have a trundle bed. Before the switch to queen size beds, we used to have a cot sent to the room, but now there isn't room for it. Riverside does offer a very small pull down trundle in the Alligator Bayou rooms.

BoarderPhreak

Boatwright's is very tasty.

As for the resorts, they're both very, very similar. POFQ is more intimate, smaller than POR. They're both formerly "Dixie Landings." While POR can be a little intimidating in size, it does have a more extensive "common area" (food, shop, lobby, etc.) and I find the main pool (Ol' Man Island) to be less gaudy and better overall. The bus stops are farther apart at POR and you might have to walk a bit farther to the common areas.

LuLaSue

This decison is totally based on personal taste. I love the "Gone With the Wind" atmosphere of POR where the jazziness off POF turns me off. POF seems to be a winner with families with childern who LOVE the whimy atmosphere of POF. We travel without childern so POR is a sure winner for us.

jkl2000

Original Poster
This decison is totally based on personal taste. I love the "Gone With the Wind" atmosphere of POR where the jazziness off POF turns me off.

Funny. My wife loves both Gone With The Wind and New Orleans, so she'd probably like both. I can kind of see what you mean about the jazziness of POFQ though. It's really the bus issue that's the deciding factor - people really get my attention when they say the bus service for POFQ is better than POR's bus service. We're going in October, so if someone said the difference is negligable, I'd probably believe them and go with POR.

LuLaSue

Funny. My wife loves both Gone With The Wind and New Orleans, so she'd probably like both. I can kind of see what you mean about the jazziness of POFQ though. It's really the bus issue that's the deciding factor - people really get my attention when they say the bus service for POFQ is better than POR's bus service. We're going in October, so if someone said the difference is negligable, I'd probably believe them and go with POR.
We honestly never had bus issues at POR. We always caught the bus outside thes in entrance of the resort. We typically travel in October and Nobember. No matter your choice, it's a good one

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward

If it is a lower time of the year the buses shouldn't be a problem. It's during busy times that it can become a bigger issue. Most of October the buses should be fine.

The Incredible Schmulk

Our most recent stay in a Port Orleans resort was at Riverside, but up until then, we had always opted for French Quarter. Riverside got the nod this time around not necessarily because we wanted something different, but because (as noted by @RandomPrincess above) the room only discount for that year did not include both resorts, only Riverside.

I can't say I was displeased with Riverside. The food court is certainly superior, and while I don't mind walking from French Quarter to Riverside to get to the in-hotel restaurant for a meal (the stroll along the river really is quite nice), it was nice to be able to leave our room and have it right there. I never really use the pools, but as a former kid, I can say that I think the theme of the Riverside pool looks a lot more fun. The grounds are definitely better, too. More land means more room for landscaping, and they use it to great effect.

All of that being said, I still prefer French Quarter. It has the better bar, I like the theme of the rooms a little bit more, but the two big draws for me are the intimacy of the resort and the bus service. The intimacy is kind of self-explanatory. It's a small resort, and none of the buildings are too far from anything. On the bus service: I'm not saying the bus service at Riverside is poor. It's better than the other large moderates resorts. because of the way the bus stops are laid out. You're never really too far away from your stop, or even your neighboring stop, for that matter. The thing that makes the French Quarter service better is that, since it's a small resort, there is only one set of stops that cater the entire resort, and sometimes, not always, but sometimes, those buses are exclusive to French Quarter. When they share with Riverside, there's no difference between the service at the two resorts (except for the fact that French Quarter is picked up first and dropped off first, giving the slight edge to French Quarter), but when French Quarter gets its own bus, the service is vastly superior, probably the best on property, since no other resort has that kind of bus to passenger/stop ratio.

That shouldn't be your only deciding factor, of course. If the ammenities are more important to you than the seclusion, Riverside is the superior choice. If you want a more subdued and efficient experience, and you're willing to walk a bit to get to better dining and pool options, French Quarter would be the better fit.

Bethypoo

I had a different experience than @LuLaSue. I stayed at POFQ and walked over to meet my cousin at POR where there were so many more kids. As a matter of fact, we all went to hang out at the pool at FQ because it was less crowded. I guess it just depends on when you go. We did enjoy dinner at Boatwright's(they have really good cornbread). We also enjoyed Yehaa Bob's show before dinner. I usually don't like shows like that, but he was so good.

PUSH

I'd go with POR, but it's mostly personal preference. And the bus issues I find to not be true. I've stayed at POR several times and have yet to wait a long time (minus one time) for a bus.

And the "cozy" feel I get at Riverside. It's really personal preference to be honest.

Oh and there are no trundle beds at POFQ, but there are at POR in the Alligator Bayou section.

WellFedDave

A couple of questions:

We visited POFQ in mid-late October last year. Resort felt like it was half full. Never a line at the front desk, always room at the bar. Pools are great, albeit small. Met some great people from the St. Louis area that we sat around with for a few hours after bar close. Great, homey, friendly feel. Would go back in a second. After staying at both POR and POFQ is an absolute no brainer.

LucyK

Do any of you eat at Boatwright's, and how is it? Yes, I've read some opinions already, just wondering if you folks do use it, or skip it.

I ate at Boatwright once and really enjoyed. But since it's just a 10 minute walk from the main lobby at POFQ, I wouldn't use it to make or break my decision.

I'm a huge fan of POFQ so my opinion may be biased but since pool theming is not really a concern, I'd pick POFQ based on the bus system (although POFQ and POR share most buses, POFQ guests are picked up and dropped first) and size (it matters when you coming back from the park and is so tired you could set camp anywhere and sleep away).

real mad hatter

Hey!,Whatever you pick,It will be awesome.Stayed at FQ in 2006.. Loved it..Tried RS in 2008.. Loved it better..Food court..Boatwrights ..Fultons..Mansion buildings..Since then been back in 2010...2012.. ;)

RonAnnArbor

I always opt for POFQ over POR, but they are both good choices. The pool at POFQ always seems less crowded than POR, but they do have the "quiet pools" which usually don't get too many folks in them (also they are unthemed plain old square-ish pools with nothing else).
The bus service at POFQ is infinitely better than at POR, from someone who goes 4-5 times a year to POFQ and 1-2 times a year to POR, usually off-peak every time. Its better to/from the parks and its better to/from the airport.
Boatwrights is very good -- especially for their steaks. Sides are very good. Except at peak times, you can usually just walk up with a group of 4 or fewer.
But I VERY much prefer POFQ over POR -- its smaller, even the furthest rooms are only a 4 minute walk from the bus -- they have the same boat system down to DTD at POR, and the food court is decent and rarely crowded. The bars are better. Its geared more toward adults, although lately it doesn't make much difference.
But there is no doubt it is now the most popular Moderate resort, and when other Moderates offer 25-30 percent off on room rates, POFQ will rarely exceed a 10 percent discount IF AT ALL...they are now pretty much booked solid. On the other hand, its also a better option if you want to make sure you avoid big tour groups and high school trips that are booked into the mansion buildings in POR.

Allygator

Our most recent stay in a Port Orleans resort was at Riverside, but up until then, we had always opted for French Quarter. Riverside got the nod this time around not necessarily because we wanted something different, but because (as noted by @RandomPrincess above) the room only discount for that year did not include both resorts, only Riverside.

I can't say I was displeased with Riverside. The food court is certainly superior, and while I don't mind walking from French Quarter to Riverside to get to the in-hotel restaurant for a meal (the stroll along the river really is quite nice), it was nice to be able to leave our room and have it right there. I never really use the pools, but as a former kid, I can say that I think the theme of the Riverside pool looks a lot more fun. The grounds are definitely better, too. More land means more room for landscaping, and they use it to great effect.

All of that being said, I still prefer French Quarter. It has the better bar, I like the theme of the rooms a little bit more, but the two big draws for me are the intimacy of the resort and the bus service. The intimacy is kind of self-explanatory. It's a small resort, and none of the buildings are too far from anything. On the bus service: I'm not saying the bus service at Riverside is poor. It's better than the other large moderates resorts. because of the way the bus stops are laid out. You're never really too far away from your stop, or even your neighboring stop, for that matter. The thing that makes the French Quarter service better is that, since it's a small resort, there is only one set of stops that cater the entire resort, and sometimes, not always, but sometimes, those buses are exclusive to French Quarter. When they share with Riverside, there's no difference between the service at the two resorts (except for the fact that French Quarter is picked up first and dropped off first, giving the slight edge to French Quarter), but when French Quarter gets its own bus, the service is vastly superior, probably the best on property, since no other resort has that kind of bus to passenger/stop ratio.

That shouldn't be your only deciding factor, of course. If the ammenities are more important to you than the seclusion, Riverside is the superior choice. If you want a more subdued and efficient experience, and you're willing to walk a bit to get to better dining and pool options, French Quarter would be the better fit.
When we were there in march the bus didn't always stop at FQ first. Many nights we hit all of the riverside stops first before we were dropped off.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom