Very important musings on Captain EO

bubbles1812

LOVE Epcot...but I must admit that everytime we are there, we pass EO up. My little ones would have no interest in sitting through that boring show and neither would I...sorry.o_O
Captain EO was the only thing I disliked when I was there 3 weeks ago. It was just... Stupid. And though I know it was made by Lucas so he could do what he wants with his material, the one sequence ripping off the trench scene in Star Wars was plain annoying. It also didnt really seem to work in that theater in terms of effects. If they aren't going to make something new, which is what that place really needs, think they should put Honey I Shrunk the Audience back in... I thought that was dated until I saw EO.

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
Original Poster
Captain EO was the only thing I disliked when I was there 3 weeks ago. It was just... Stupid. And though I know it was made by Lucas so he could do what he wants with his material, the one sequence ripping off the trench scene in Star Wars was plain annoying. It also didnt really seem to work in that theater in terms of effects. If they aren't going to make something new, which is what that place really needs, think they should put Honey I Shrunk the Audience back in... I thought that was dated until I saw EO.

What's sad is that EO had more effects its opening run. Lasers, laser impacts, the whole theatre was filled with a starfield, and, on occasion, there was smoke.

bubbles1812

What's sad is that EO had more effects its opening run. Lasers, laser impacts, the whole theatre was filled with a starfield, and, on occasion, there was smoke.
Interesting. Maybe if there were more I would have liked it a little better or at least found it a bit more engaging. For the most part I felt like I was just watching a 3D film and not a very enjoyable one at that. My first thought walking out of it was that was lame and asking why they even put it in that theater if they weren't going to use it to the theater's full potential.

Tom Morrow

Well, they retro-fitted it into the theater designed for HISTA rather than converting the theater back to how it was for EO. It was only supposed to run for a year originally, right?

FettFan

The trench scene is stolen directly from Star Wars. Plus, the all city planet is more than a little reminiscent of the Star of Deathness.

Gee, I wonder why....
Michael-George-Lucas-Making-of-Catain-Eo-captain-eo-20089202-717-720.jpg

EDIT -- I kind of want them to revisit the Captain Eo universe. Make a new version of it that's an actual space adventure without all of the singing and dancing. If done well it would age far better than HISTA....think about how Alien and Empire Strikes Back are still loved today, despite both being older than Epcot.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
Oh for the love of God, he WAS at one time a great performer that fell the way of many others before and after him, victims of their own success. The need to blame others for his own path is mind boggling.
Way too many superstars in the ground prematurely due to their own stupid choices.

Disney tried to capitalize on on his death by bringing EO back, nobody was in line to view EO on my last trip, most guests are so over it. Disney should just shutter the place, it fits with the balance of the pavilion, days gone bye.

HatboxGhost

I sense a lot of anger from some people. Not sure why, it's just an attraction at a theme park.......
Some people are very passionate about not liking EO. I, for one, am passionate about LIKING it. Its dated, of course, and I can see how some people would not like it however to me its a classic. I remember first seeing the video for Thriller.....when it first came out... and I nearly fell off my chair. To this day I consider it THE BEST music video ever made. MJ, Vincent Price, John Landis, Rick Baker on creature effects, and zombies was a hit. I feel the same way about EO and I didnt even see it in its first release. MJ, Coppola, Lucas, and sci-fi imo was a hit. Its funny because even though I consider MJ a great talent and the album(album...I am dating myself LOL) Thriller amazing, I am not a huge MJ fan. I grew up and still listen to hard rock. But there is no denying the talent of MJ and when I hear his music I like it.

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
Original Poster
Some people are very passionate about not liking EO. I, for one, am passionate about LIKING it. Its dated, of course, and I can see how some people would not like it however to me its a classic. I remember first seeing the video for Thriller.....when it first came out... and I nearly fell off my chair. To this day I consider it THE BEST music video ever made. MJ, Vincent Price, John Landis, Rick Baker on creature effects, and zombies was a hit. I feel the same way about EO and I didnt even see it in its first release. MJ, Coppola, Lucas, and sci-fi imo was a hit. Its funny because even though I consider MJ a great talent and the album(album...I am dating myself LOL) Thriller amazing, I am not a huge MJ fan. I grew up and still listen to hard rock. But there is no denying the talent of MJ and when I hear his music I like it.

Bolded for being just like me. "We are here to change the world" baby. *waits for Disneysince71 to post another picture based on that* Side note - I downloaded Thriller for fun just last month and had completely forgotten about that McCartney/Jackson duet - The Girl is Mine. One of my friends had me listen to a version where one of the parts is sung by Stephen Hawking. Hilarious.

Well, they retro-fitted it into the theater designed for HISTA rather than converting the theater back to how it was for EO. It was only supposed to run for a year originally, right?

I believe that is correct. I wonder if an expert in that theatre could give us an idea how hard the retrofit would've been. The starfield is what I miss the most.

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
Original Poster
Gee, I wonder why....

EDIT -- I kind of want them to revisit the Captain Eo universe. Make a new version of it that's an actual space adventure without all of the singing and dancing. If done well it would age far better than HISTA....think about how Alien and Empire Strikes Back are still loved today, despite both being older than Epcot.

Lucas has an idea, Lucas beats it to death. I was only partly joking with my suggestion that they go back and show Captain EO's earlier adventure. Let the casting for EO begin. No one sings and dances like MJ any more so you've gotta go a completely different direction. That's why I suggest - Patrick Stewart. He's already experienced at playing a Captain. Plus, you could have a scene where he has a hilarious meeting with his crew.....:lookaroun

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom