Very important musings on Captain EO

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
Original Poster
I saw EO about 25 times on its first run in EPCOT and twice on its current run. Over the years, I've had many deep thoughts and questions concerning this 17-18 minute masterpiece (in all seriousness, I love the movie and have HUGE nostalgic feelings towards it). Anyhoo, let us commence....

So…we learn in the intro that Captain EO is infamous. Why is that? The corps he and his “crew” are in are clearly supposed to be some kind of good group that is spreading pleasantry and happiness throughout the universe using the powers of music, dance, and shirt rainbows. I think it might be because he creates an artificial glut of professional dancers with his magical happy powers. After he leaves there can’t be enough big time shows for all these folks. I’d have to say more than a few are working dinner theatres in their planets’ version of BFE.

The trench scene is stolen directly from Star Wars. Plus, the all city planet is more than a little reminiscent of the Star of Deathness.

Why does this corps employ aliens that don’t meet the minimum height requirement with respect to the reaching of instruments? If Hooter can’t reach it, Hooter can’t be in the corps. Speaking of Hooter, how could he possibly eat the map? I mean a lot of sci-fi water is under the bridge by the mid-80s and no one and I mean no one has characters using paper maps on their imagined high tech spaceships. Also, how does the food that Hooter throws actually slide down the face of Captain EO’s superior officer? He is very clearly a holographic image that has phoned in. And who made the decision to put a plastic fried egg on Captain EO’s shoulder after the crash?

Speaking of the corps – kind of corps is this? Could you imagine if any country on the planet earth sent in a troop of professional singers and dancers to sway the hearts of minds of enemies. My guess is that we haven’t yet developed the magical happy dancing ray.

Once the singing and dancing start everything that happens makes perfect sense and is completely cool with one exception – We’re supposed to assume that the Captain EO magical dance rays are turning the creatures on the planet into more beautiful beings (i.e. pretty humans). However, I very much doubt their standards for beauty are the same as ours.My guess is that many of them are already hotties. Further, even if Queen Angelica Houston is evil, why would she pick a makeup and nail job that would be considered ugly in her native world? Plus, if we suppose that the magical beauty beams do make everyone prettier, there are clearly two guards in the last scene, dancing around that are still uglified. They’ll have a lot of trouble getting dates now that everyone on the planet is a professional dancer.

If someone could explain these things to me, I’d be very appreciative. :lookaroun

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
Original Poster
...and that was the most thinking about Captain EO ever done.

Well, if you're gonna set records, I say really crush them. You know, I really, really question Hooter's inclusion in the corps. I mean he can't even follow a direct order to "put it back" and to "not be silly". However, I think the trash can hat does give the whole scene a foreboding ambiance. I wonder a bit about the motivations of the Queen Angelica Houston character. She seems intrigued by the musical gifts of EO and crew, despite her obvious vision problems that force her to adopt odd head movements as they are setting up...but once there is one little mishap, she immediately sends in her minions. I have always been really impressed with the speed with which she sends in her minions. Nonetheless, I still maintain that it unlikely her curiosity about the proffered gift (which you can already tell is going to be insanely weird) would not dissipate with such speed.

I think of all the things that bother me, the most egregious is the gag store quality fried egg on the king of pop's shoulder. Back in the day, a big deal was made out of the fact that this was the most expensive movie per minute ever (odd claim to fame, but a claim all the same). I understand why it was put there. He was near Hooter's bunk and the implication that he was a slob and his bunk area is likely filled with food, pork rinds (which are a separate thing from food), fecal matter, and the like. So, it was for comedic relief. You know what would've worked a lot better? A real fried egg. I can make one for pretty cheap. I always wondered if this idea was brought up and nixed by MJ or his agent.

Ever look closely at all the pieces of planetary rubber that are sent into the air after the crash landing into the beacon that saves everyone jobs since the "solid hologram" of the colonel or whatever is still there (and he should be fully aware that this crash was the biggest piece of luck in the history of luck)...there are some hidden Mickeys which I've always thought was cool. They are kind of hard to catch. Maybe even a bit harder than the Mickey on the Soarin' golf ball.

When they finally replace this masterpiece, I hope it is with Captain EO II and we can see the mishap on the previous adventure that is alluded to.

Tom

Beta Return
My wife never got to experience EO, as she was not an 80s Disney child. I did, however.

We skipped the brought-back EO on a couple trips, but in November she put her foot down and said she wanted to see it, and that it couldn't be as awful as I was saying it was.

When we walked out of the theater, she just looked at me and in so many words, she acknowledged that I she regretted making us see the show :D

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
LOVE Epcot...but I must admit that everytime we are there, we pass EO up. My little ones would have no interest in sitting through that boring show and neither would I...sorry.o_O

My little ones think Captain EO is great -- surprised the heck of out me. I thought they'd hate it. But then again, perhaps you know your little ones better than I know mine.

dannyboyindc

Actually, I think WDW did a fantastic job with it. For its time, it was pretty cutting edge with the effects...and the sound system/soundtrack in that theater still sounds fantastic years later. I also really like the making of pre-show that they have prior to the doors opening. I realize it's not Horizons or World of Motion, but part of the reason for bringing back Captain EO was for the nostalgia factor. I'm somewhat confused by all the bashing of the attraction.

Would something new be better? Maybe...depends on what would go in there! Did TDO do it because it was cheaper than putting something new in there? Probably. Is it "gay" as a previous poster pointed out? Absolutely! JAZZ HANDS!

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
Original Poster
I was thinking HISTA was getting old and dated, and I wanted them to do something. Now that they've done something, I want HISTA back!!!

When I saw HISTA with my FIL in Feb of 2005 if I don't have my trips mixed up, he called it "The best of the best."

Personally, I think a Phineas and Ferb 4D film would be awesome here. I know someone said they were re-thinking of doing the ride all P&F, but I think the movie would be a slam dunk.

JIMINYCR

Yeah, I won't be in your way. Saw the original run once...skipped the return.

Yeah... Last trip I had to go on because my son had never seen it, he wanted to go, I followed, so I had to suffer through it. Never again. Not a MJ fan anyway so I knew it would probably be on my "Never Do Again" list.

k2859443.jpg

bsiev1977

Actually, I think WDW did a fantastic job with it. For its time, it was pretty cutting edge with the effects...and the sound system/soundtrack in that theater still sounds fantastic years later. I also really like the making of pre-show that they have prior to the doors opening. I realize it's not Horizons or World of Motion, but part of the reason for bringing back Captain EO was for the nostalgia factor. I'm somewhat confused by all the bashing of the attraction.

Would something new be better? Maybe...depends on what would go in there! Did TDO do it because it was cheaper than putting something new in there? Probably. Is it "gay" as a previous poster pointed out? Absolutely! JAZZ HANDS!
The reason they brought back EO was they wanted to pull HISTA, and act the same time cash in on the hoopla surrounding MJs death.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom