It's a Digital World After All

prfctlyximprct

As you can see, the scene has been freshened up a bit. All 22 goodbye phrases are still there, but new accents and a few large postcard shaped signs have been added. However, just because the scene is now visible, does not mean that they are done working on it. The eventual plan is to have the large postcards replaced with screens that will say goodbye to guests personally after gathering their names off of their MagicBands. It is even possible that the long-rumored “create-your-own-doll” feature will be integrated to this scene whenever that may eventually come to fruition with the roll-out of MyMagic+.​
Stay tuned to as more becomes available on this story.​
Taken from .​
You will not be typing in your name. It will be your name as you booked your trip.​

Hedwig's Keeper

Everything is becoming more digital. If Apple can go from computers to phones, they could be making iCars and iHomes in the next fifty years (how kewl would that be to have a home that talks to you? "Siri, where is my cat? ... "Your cat is in your bedroom, destroying your one-of-a-kind, upside down Mickey Mantle rookie card." In fifty years there will hardly be anything that doesn't have some kind of computational processing/interfacing/networking working in the background. Disney is just trying to keep pace with the rest of the world.

"I'm just an analog girl, living in a digital World." - Anonymous

prfctlyximprct

Soon RFID will be used in everything. When the technology gets cheap enough, it will be used on products and you can just fill up your cart at the grocery store and walk right out. Each item will have it's own unique code and your card will be automatically charged. Saw a video of this at school.. pretty crazy but not too far fetched. Paperless world will soon be without even using the ultimate paper: cash.

bsiev1977

Soon RFID will be used in everything. When the technology gets cheap enough, it will be used on products and you can just fill up your cart at the grocery store and walk right out. Each item will have it's own unique code and your card will be automatically charged. Saw a video of this at school.. pretty crazy but not too far fetched. Paperless world will soon be without even using the ultimate paper: cash.

Wouldn't be the worst thing ever. I read an article recently that said it costs the government 2.4 cents to make one penny.

fngoofy

As you can see, the scene has been freshened up a bit. All 22 goodbye phrases are still there, but new accents and a few large postcard shaped signs have been added. However, just because the scene is now visible, does not mean that they are done working on it. The eventual plan is to have the large postcards replaced with screens that will say goodbye to guests personally after gathering their names off of their MagicBands. It is even possible that the long-rumored “create-your-own-doll” feature will be integrated to this scene whenever that may eventually come to fruition with the roll-out of MyMagic+.​
Stay tuned to as more becomes available on this story.​
Taken from .​
You will not be typing in your name. It will be your name as you booked your trip.​
This sounds great to me.

DManRightHere

Clean out all the money thrown into the water and you could easily fund the project!
No! Supposedly they donate all of that money, or I hope they do.

The first time I saw all that money I was rather irritated cause I was sure over $5,000 was in that water for pure profit! Then my girlfriend told me it was all donated. I hope it is, I threw a few dollars in there last time.

Pentacat

Wouldn't they have to hack the Disney computers? The wristband doesn't store your info.

It's been proposed that it could be a way to store a child's name (or a member of your party) for personalized greetings within the context of an attraction. How hard would it be for some nefarious person to save a party member's name as something highly inappropriate?

No system is fool proof, there are just way to many different varieties of fools.

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
It's been proposed that it could be a way to store a child's name (or a member of your party) for personalized greetings within the context of an attraction. How hard would it be for some nefarious person to save a party member's name as something highly inappropriate?

No system is fool proof, there are just way to many different varieties of fools.

You are correct that there is no foolproof system. But, Profanity Filtering systems have been around for a LONG time, and have been constantly updated, improved, and refined. There is no guarantee that it will catch 100% of all things that may or may not be offensive to someone, but I can guarantee that Disney, being a family friendly company, has been using either a home-grown or a 3rd party software system to sort out, block, and otherwise stop 99.9% of profanity or otherwise undesirable content at the point of collection (when you are entering the info).

prfctlyximprct

When you book a trip, don't you have to use your legal name??

Pentacat

When you book a trip, don't you have to use your legal name??

Now there's a slippery slope. Some people have legal names that can be quite humorous and potentially offensive. I'd love to produce several examples here but I don't want to be accused of being dirty so I'll try to be as delicate as possible.

I went to high school with a gentleman who's name was Richard Beaver. How would you like to be the CM that has to answer Richard's question as to why his son Harold (who has a very common nickname) can't have the same level of interactivity as little John Doe.

I understand that using a child's full name is unlikely due to the inherent privacy issues. This is meant simply as an example.

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
Now there's a slippery slope. Some people have legal names that can be quite humorous and potentially offensive. I'd love to produce several examples here but I don't want to be accused of being dirty so I'll try to be as delicate as possible.

I went to high school with a gentleman who's name was Richard Beaver. How would you like to be the CM that has to answer Richard's question as to why his son Harold (who has a very common nickname) can't have the same level of interactivity as little John Doe.

I understand that using a child's full name is unlikely due to the inherent privacy issues. This is meant simply as an example.

Like it or not, there are probably a lot of systems that would have limited access to this person's name. As I said, no system is foolproof, but this is not new ground they are breaking here with this. A lot of companies have faced and solved this issue before. And yes, some poor cast member may have to explain to little Harry Beaver why he cant see his name on the screen (though, honestly, I highly doubt they will have full name here anyway, so I'd guess it would be "Harry" or "Harry B."). This will happen, but not as often as I think you might think. And then his parent will have to help explain to him why he named him Harry Beaver in the first place. Little Harold is going to have a LOT of systems in his life that will boot him out and make him jump through a lot of hoops, especially as automated systems integrate themselves in daily life more and more.

Pentacat

Like it or not, there are probably a lot of systems that would have limited access to this person's name. As I said, no system is foolproof, but this is not new ground they are breaking here with this. A lot of companies have faced and solved this issue before. And yes, some poor cast member may have to explain to little Harry Beaver why he cant see his name on the screen (though, honestly, I highly doubt they will have full name here anyway, so I'd guess it would be "Harry" or "Harry B."). This will happen, but not as often as I think you might think. And then his parent will have to help explain to him why he named him Harry Beaver in the first place. Little Harold is going to have a LOT of systems in his life that will boot him out and make him jump through a lot of hoops, especially as automated systems integrate themselves in daily life more and more.

This is an actually true story, I do know someone with that name albeit he is somewhat of an adult. To say that this name has had an impact on his life would be an understatement. Even funnier is that his father goes by Dick and his middle name is Neil....go ahead and write that one out for a good rotfl. It's running a joke within his family that his mother didn't realize the implication of nicknames for Harold while his father thought that it would "lead to some interesting conversations."

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom