"Bistro de Paris" to reopen as "Monsieur Paul"?

djlaosc

Original Poster
According to Orlando Theme Park News, the new Epcot maps show Test Track opening December 6, the World Showcase countries' flags are now to the right of the name of the country, and "Monsieur Paul" is 'coming soon' to the France Pavilion

The Empress Lilly

Monsieur Paul?

I know France has a bakery chain called 'Maison Paul'. They are a great pâtisserie and boulangerie. Let's say, the Starbucks of France. ;)

Patricia Melton

I think "Monsieur Paul" sounds very exciting and mysterious.

I remember back in the 70s and 80s the very fancy French restaurants were always called things like "Pierre's" or "Christophe's" or "Jean-Claude's"...so Monsieur Paul fits in with that. I picture a lovely and charming and very elegant place that will have delicious food and make me feel like I am in a fancy restaurant in Paris or a big city.

Can't wait to experience this new magic!

Bairstow

I remember back in the 70s and 80s the very fancy French restaurants were always called things like "Pierre's" or "Christophe's" or "Jean-Claude's"...so Monsieur Paul fits in with that. I picture a lovely and charming and very elegant place that will have delicious food and make me feel like I am in a fancy restaurant in Paris or a big city.

I like the name change too. "Bistro de Paris" was absurdly generic.

Polydweller

I would assume it's Paul Bocuse - he's one of the chefs the Chefs de France is named for.
And owned by. The restaurants in France are not owned by Disney. Bocuse's son manages Les Chefs de Francel
I really hope they don't dumb down the menu. Who am I kidding...
Why would Paul Bocuse dumb down his restaurant? He is one of the top chefs in the world and is the owner.

The Empress Lilly

I like the name change too. "Bistro de Paris" was absurdly generic.
Weird indeed! A bistro is an ordinary, cheap, quick restaurant. It's very confusing that the fanciest France restaurant of the three should've been named 'bistro'. :confused:

'Monsieur Paul' for an upscale restaurant sounds a bit silly, almost a bit childlike if you ask me. If the name must be simple to American ears, then why not 'Chez Paul', which sounds much more natural and authentic.
Personally, I would've gone with something a bit more imaginative. Like 'La Fayette's', French hero of the American Revolution, or something like 'Le Rive Gauche'.

nytimez

Weird indeed! A bistro is an ordinary, cheap, quick restaurant. It's very confusing that the fanciest France restaurant of the three should've been named 'bistro'. :confused:

'Monsieur Paul' for an upscale restaurant sounds a bit silly, almost a bit childlike if you ask me. If the name must be simple to American ears, then why not 'Chez Paul', which sounds much more natural and authentic.
Personally, I would've gone with something a bit more imaginative. Like 'La Fayette's', French hero of the American Revolution, or something like 'Le Rive Gauche'.

I think he actually goes by the name "Monsieur Paul." But yes, the name probably doesn't have too much meaning to the typical US tourist wandering Epcot.

I do like the name better than Bistro de Paris, though.

Ignohippo

I can't wait to experience the new magic of "Monsieur Hank" and "Monsieur Billy Bob" either.

Mysterious? How absurd.

Bistro de Paris was fine and told guests exactly what it was.

Bairstow

Monsieur Paul sounds like the French version of Ronald McDonald!

.....I don't see it.

1532-1-chef-paul-bocuse-jpg.jpg

NoChesterHester

If the people that complain loudly about changes like this frequented this restaurant on a more regular basis the big reno and name change wouldn't be necessary.

The reality is that while Bistro was lovely, it wasn't ever that busy. One of the few places one could always get a reservation at. I always felt it was a bit too stark and uninteresting with good food, but not elite.

I welcome the change and hope it does very well.

The Empress Lilly

If the people that complain loudly about changes like this frequented this restaurant on a more regular basis the big reno and name change wouldn't be necessary.

The reality is that while Bistro was lovely, it wasn't ever that busy. One of the few places one could always get a reservation at. I always felt it was a bit too stark and uninteresting with good food, but not elite.
Bistro lacked a unique selling point I think. It was basically haute cuisine in a generic setting. There was nothing wrong with it, but also nothing particularly right with it either. It also doesn't help that it is located in a theme park. I think a quality classic haute cuisine restaurant would work great as the signature dining in, say, the Contemporary or the Yachtclub. But in a theme park, people are both a bit daunted by it feeling upscale, while otherwise not pulled in by any particular selling point either.

It would be a shame if the Bistro would simplify its menu. That's what the Chefs de France is for. Me, I would try for quality French food that isn't classical haute cuisine. Say, turn the place into a Provençal restaurant, serve the fabled Mediterranean menu in a warm regional setting with real character - and not of the Disney fur kind. Light meals based on olive oil, garlic (great for helping to get a spot for Illuminations afterwards!), yummie herbs - perfect for the punishing Florida climate. I'd go!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom