PHOTOS - First look inside 'Under the Sea - Journey of the Little Mermaid'

Pixiedustmaker

Geez whiz!

Somebody else on the Disney park blog brought up the photos from DCA!

Thor from CA on September 11th, 2012 at 6:56 pm

It’s absolutely amazing how the Imagineers got the WDW version of this ride to identically match the California Adventure version of this ride! Right down to the exact way the tiny leaves drape over the moon in the Kiss The Girl scene; they must have worked for hours to get those leaves to drape exactly like the ones in California. Disney magic at its best!

Wasn't me! I was going to laugh when the mod said, "I'll have to look into it," in reply to another question.

Californian Elitist

I think the Glowfest and subsequent Tron and Alice in Wonderland parties hurt the future of Hollywood Land. Instead of fully updating this land, they can see it is a very profitable area to sell booze without a major capital investment.

Agreed. The ideas and executions of both Glow Fest, elecTRONica and Mad T Party are done extremely well but they don't fit the land! It's annoying and you're right, it doesn't help at all.

TP2000

Geez whiz!

Somebody else on the Disney park blog brought up the photos from DCA!

Thor from CA on September 11th, 2012 at 6:56 pm

It’s absolutely amazing how the Imagineers got the WDW version of this ride to identically match the California Adventure version of this ride! Right down to the exact way the tiny leaves drape over the moon in the Kiss The Girl scene; they must have worked for hours to get those leaves to drape exactly like the ones in California. Disney magic at its best!

Wasn't me! I was going to laugh when the mod said, "I'll have to look into it," in reply to another question.

Hey! It made it! :eek:

That was me! I posted that comment as I was multi-tasking and replying/reading on this thread. I figured it wouldn't get past the censors, but would be fun to post on there anyway.

I just posted that about 15 minutes ago, after business hours out on the East Coast, so I figured it would "await moderation" overnight and then be deleted by Ms. Fickley-Baker when she got in to work in the morning. Hmm... they must have West Coast editors reviewing late posts, and they have a sense of humor too. :D

Californian Elitist

Yeah, I love Disneyland's Fantasyland over Mermaid. Disneyland's ride have intimate/cozy queue and all of that "charm", Mermaid in DCA is basically a big Barnes & Noble. You don't feel like you're on your way to a magical journey, but that it is just an elaborate "display" rather than being an adventure.

I actually really like Mermaid's facade because it fits the theme. I remember going to a museum near a pier in Frisco and they had a dome like the one Mermaid has. It's really pretty, too.

The Fantasyland Five have withstood the test of time. I love them all.

RSoxNo1

Once you board your clamshell vehicle, the entire WDW ride will be identical to the DCA ride.

Is it "fair" for the Disney Parks Blog to pass off these DCA photos as WDW photos? No, it's not. But not sure what we all expected from the Disney Parks Blog; it's just a corporate info-blog run by cubicle drones sticking to a very tight script. They don't have a real interest in the widely varied material they present, they are just meeting established targets and deadlines in distributing flattering corporate information about the products and services they are selling to consumers.

Disney Parks Blog is just another cheesy corporate communication tool, no different than a laundry soap commerical on TV or a glossy ad in a fashion magazine. They don't have to be "fair", they just have to get the information out as quickly and cheaply as possible via their approved corporate messaging standards. :cool:
The benefit of the Disney Parks blog is that they will provide you with vintage images and concept art. These are good things, but I haven't seen much additional value beyond that.

Californian Elitist

Hey! It made it! :eek:

That was me! I posted that comment as I was multi-tasking and replying/reading on this thread. I figured it wouldn't get past the censors, but would be fun to post on there anyway.

I just posted that about 15 minutes ago, after business hours out on the East Coast, so I figured it would "await moderation" overnight and then be deleted by Ms. Fickley-Baker when she got in to work in the morning. Hmm... they must have West Coast editors reviewing late posts, and they have a sense of humor too. :D

LMAO. TP, you're Thor on the Disney Parks Blog?!?! Why am I just finding this out??? I love your comment, I just might post something like it over there.

TP2000

LMAO. TP, you're Thor on the Disney Parks Blog?!?! Why am I just finding this out??? I love your comment, I just might post something like it over there.

That's me. Ta-da! :)

I've been "TP2000" online since about 1996 and the old alt.disney usenet group days. Back then the addition of "2000" to something was thought to be terribly modern and exciting!

But my initials are TP and my first name is Thor. To keep my anonymity online, as I don't want some rabid Knott's Berry Farm fan knocking on my door, I just go with the TP2000 thing. But suffice it to say my surname is as stereotpyically Swedish as my first name is; my Swedish parents weren't too creative after they emigrated to this country after the war, as I'm not the first Thor in the immediate or extended family. :rolleyes:

I don't think Ms. Fickley-Baker has put 2 and 2 together yet. She might not understand what everyone is hinting at, or she may not even realize she posted DCA pictures on her blog and claimed they were taken inside the WDW ride. She might just be a victim of this whole silly sham herself!

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
I don't think Ms. Fickley-Baker has put 2 and 2 together yet. She might not understand what everyone is hinting at, or she may not even realize she posted DCA pictures on her blog and claimed they were taken inside the WDW ride. She might just be a victim of this whole silly shame herself!
She was probably given stock photos by someone and said "here use these....topic....first photos of WDW version of the mermaid attraction".

Pixiedustmaker

I actually really like Mermaid's facade because it fits the theme. I remember going to a museum near a pier in Frisco and they had a dome like the one Mermaid has. It's really pretty, too.

The Fantasyland Five have withstood the test of time. I love them all.

I guess because I never lived in California I don't have the same nostalgia. Nice that somebody likes it though.

Pixiedustmaker

She was probably given stock photos by someone and said "here use these....topic....first photos of WDW version of the mermaid attraction".

She said that she got the photos from Walt Disney Imagineering . . . maybe they wanted to use them as "examples" of what Mermaid will look like. Anyway, I doubt that the ride is show-ready enough for photos, otherwise they'd have some photos showing the new stuff like load area, I guess.

Californian Elitist

That's me. Ta-da! :)

I've been "TP2000" online since about 1996 and the old alt.disney usenet group days. Back then the addition of "2000" to something was thought to be terribly modern and exciting!

But my initials are TP and my first name is Thor. To keep my anonymity online, as I don't want some rabid Knott's Berry Farm fan knocking on my door, I just go with the TP2000 thing. But suffice it to say my surname is as stereotpyically Swedish as my first name is; my Swedish parents weren't too creative after they emigrated to this country after the war, as I'm not the first Thor in the immediate or extended family. :rolleyes:

I don't think Ms. Fickley-Baker has put 2 and 2 together yet. She might not understand what everyone is hinting at, or she may not even realize she posted DCA pictures on her blog and claimed they were taken inside the WDW ride. She might just be a victim of this whole silly sham herself!

No joke, your real first name is Thor? That is really cool!

Yeah, I don't think they're getting the hint either. They think we're idiots, though I understand why people who've never seen Mermaid at DCA weren't able to figure it out.

Pixiedustmaker

No joke, your real first name is Thor? That is really cool!

Yeah, I don't think they're getting the hint either. They think we're idiots, though I understand why people who've never seen Mermaid at DCA weren't able to figure it out.

Somebody just needs to post that "clearly the Kiss the Girl" photo was lifted from photos of DCA's Mermaid. I don't think the mod knows what is going on as she wasn't sure if "soft serve" Ariel would be in MK's version of the ride.

TP2000

I can't I'm banned for life from that website already!

Oh, heck, I'll go try it.

I just posted this on the Blog...
"It appears the photo of the Kiss The Girl scene is actually a photo from the Disney Parks Blog that appeared here in 2011 and taken inside the California Adventure of the ride. Is this a borrowed photo from California Adventure, or did WDI really create a scene that is minutely identical to the California version, right down to the small leaves hanging exactly the same way in front of the moon?
It's been stated that the interiors of the two Mermaid rides will be identical, but are they really that identical? "

I tried to be polite. Let's see if it makes it past the censors.

Californian Elitist

Oh, heck, I'll go try it.

I just posted this on the Blog...
"It appears the photo of the Kiss The Girl scene is actually a photo from the Disney Parks Blog that appeared here in 2011 and taken inside the California Adventure of the ride. Is this a borrowed photo from California Adventure, or did WDI really create a scene that is minutely identical to the California version, right down to the small leaves hanging exactly the same way in front of the moon?
It's been stated that the interiors of the two Mermaid rides will be identical, but are they really that identical? "

I tried to be polite. Let's see if it makes it past the censors.

Fantastic, TP. Do it.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Uhh.. wow

I can't believe the level of certainity someone is willing to throw out there based on seeing two scenes that look the same.. when they are supposed to look the same!

Lets see..

'Well the trees are identical' - I would hope so.. they were built at the same time! All the set pieces were built in duplicate when they built the original attraction.

'Lazy and don't want to haul all that photo gear' - Ehh.. we do remember the social media group is BASED out of FL right? And they have countless posts from their staff photographers who grab candid or 'what do I feel like shooting' types of photos. This postulation makes no sense what-so-ever. As if MK has no staff photographers.. ?? Come on

To the idea that they could be hiding something about the completion of the ride.. please.. This this has probably been sitting complete for ages. We've had numerous reports over the time talking about the completion of the interior.. and we know all the AAs, figures, and key pieces were all built in duplicate when the original attraction was built. The question all along has been 'why don't they open it already' - there is no fear of the ride being behind schedule. It's been the exterior that been lagging - and changing.

I had wondered how this thread got to 6 pages over a photo that revealed nothing. I certainly am not one against people speculating on things... but we shouldn't be passing speculation off as FACT - which pixiedustmaker has been doing all through the thread. You may believe.. but you don't know it as true.

Pixiedustmaker

Uhh.. wow

I can't believe the level of certainity someone is willing to throw out there based on seeing two scenes that look the same.. when they are supposed to look the same!

It's most certainly the same room, not just the same scene.

If you look at the pattern of leaves/branches, and even other little details, you can tell that this room is the same thing when you look at the numerous photos guests have taken of this scene in DCA. I refer you to the photos in this post.

I actually recognized the old lighting scheme used in this scene in DCA, which has since been changed. Others in the thread happily provided the photos of the ride in DCA.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom