Do you think Rapunzel-themed bathrooms are weird?

Patricia Melton

Original Poster
I'm very excited about the "rumors" of Rapunzel-themed bathrooms coming with the FLE expansion (to be located near It's A Small World where the Skyway Station used to be). I love the movie Tangled and my niece and nephew think it's one of their favorite movies too. From many reports n these forums, I've seen lots of great detectives piecing together the fact that Rapunzel's tower and other elements from Tangled will be incorporated into the new bathrooms. Some people have pictured the women's bathroom being decorated with drawings on the walls and ceilings like Rapunzel did in her Tower and the men's room maybe having wanted posters of all the criminals like we saw in the movie on the trees.

I told my husband about all this and was surprised at his reaction. He thought it was weird to theme the bathrooms to Rapunzel and thought that Rapunzel fans wouldn't like this because instead of getting an attraction, they get a bathroom.

I was wondering how people felt about this...and whether anyone feels "cheated" that instead of getting a Rapunzel attraction that Rapunzel is being used instead to theme the bathrooms being built where the Skyway used to be.

I have to admit that I wish they'd have built a Snuggly Duckling restaurant and used that as the Rapunzel representation in the parks but I'd also like to see a Rapunzel mine coaster ride for DLR in the future (where I think they could take the Seven Dwarves ride and just do a Rapunzel overlay of that so the two American parks can have different rides using the same design, which we all know Disney loves to do).

Are you excited to see the Rapunzel bathrooms coming or do you wish they'd have been just generic bathrooms and didn't have any Rapunzel theming?

TestTrack Dummy

I wouldnt mind if it was Rapunzel themed but i wouldnt much rather they be "standard" since its so close to liberty square. If it ends up being themed to Rapunzel i dont think it would bother me. For Rapunzel fans i can definitely see a reason to be excited.

Magic Lamp

If done well, even an imagineered bathroom can become an attraction. I guess for that corner they ran out of ideas and there isn't much you can build. Even for a restaurant, the area is too small. And for those who want to meet Rapunzel, there will be the Princess Faire.

I'm a fan of Tangled too, especially the whole set design, and with the addition of the castle walls on the other end, I welcome any kind of structure themed to the village in the movie to complete the picture. I just hope they will invest time and money to redress all the other facades to make them a tad more interesting than "faire fronts".

Patricia Melton

Original Poster
If done well, even an imagineered bathroom can become an attraction. I guess for that corner they ran out of ideas and there isn't much you can build. Even for a restaurant, the area is too small. And for those who want to meet Rapunzel, there will be the Princess Faire.

I'm a fan of Tangled too, especially the whole set design, and with the addition of the castle walls on the other end, I welcome any kind of structure themed to the village in the movie to complete the picture. I just hope they will invest time and money to redress all the other facades to make them a tad more interesting than "faire fronts".

I'm glad you brought up redressing the reset of the area around there. I hope it happens too. It's A Small World and the other buildings around there should all lose the "tournament" fronts and get pretty new fronts. Finally do to WDW what they did in Disneyland and get rid of the "tournament" everywhere.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I really like the movie, and I have no problem with themeing this area to it. As others have said there really isn't much more that could have been done with that area except maybe another gift shop. They really needed to open up the bottleneck there so a good chunk of that space needed to become a new path, which didn't leave much else. I would much rather see themeing to a movie then just generic themeing.

wolf359

I think Disney is addressing an area that needs a lot of attention in a very positive and well thought out way. They are enlarging one of the worst bottlenecks in the entire park, replacing a shell of an attraction that had sat unused for 15 years, and increasing bathroom capacity in an area that sorely needs it. It could have been done quickly and cheaply by razing the entire area and laying down concrete and cinderblock but instead we're getting a well themed and attractive addition that also incorporates a nod to Tangled. Unless there's a giant banner that reads "Potty Time with Rapunzel" over the whole thing I really can't find any fault, and I certainly don't think it's weird.

This new area is a plussing that no one expected and wasn't really necessary from a bean-counting perspective, and yet it is happening anyway. In spite of it being "just" a bathroom I welcome the new scenery and traffic flow and am looking forward to seeing it finished.

ParentsOf4

IMHO, the idea of a Rapunzel-themed bathroom is great. I enjoy WDW because of the special little touches and believe any themed bathroom would be consistent with Disney's reputation for attention to detail.

Do I wish they also added a Rapunzel attraction? Sure, both would be great!

HouCuseChickie

While I like the idea...if I were a major Rapunzel fan...I think I'd prefer an attraction. I mean, it's cool and all to theme the bathroom and it would be an example of Disney taking something more mundane and plussing it; however, it's still a bathroom. And if it's too elaborate...can you imagine the the wait to use the potty!!! :eek:

Seriously though, if Rapunzel were my fave I'd like to see anything from a tower you could explore (sort of like the treehouse) but with painting sessions (kind of like the animation in DHS), maybe a dark ride where you ride in a floating light, and I LOVE the idea of the Snuggly Duckling restaurant.

Patricia Melton

Original Poster
I think Disney is addressing an area that needs a lot of attention in a very positive and well thought out way. They are enlarging one of the worst bottlenecks in the entire park, replacing a shell of an attraction that had sat unused for 15 years, and increasing bathroom capacity in an area that sorely needs it. It could have been done quickly and cheaply by razing the entire area and laying down concrete and cinderblock but instead we're getting a well themed and attractive addition that also incorporates a nod to Tangled. Unless there's a giant banner that reads "Potty Time with Rapunzel" over the whole thing I really can't find any fault, and I certainly don't think it's weird.

This new area is a plussing that no one expected and wasn't really necessary from a bean-counting perspective, and yet it is happening anyway. In spite of it being "just" a bathroom I welcome the new scenery and traffic flow and am looking forward to seeing it finished.

My goodness, I was not expecting to laugh so hard but when I read "Potty Time with Rapunzel" I just lost it. You are too funny!

tl77

I don't know if the interiors be will specifically themed to Tangled, or more like a standard medieval castle look inside, similar to the new restrooms outside PotC which have a "pirate look" to them but Jack Sparrow and Davy Jones aren't featured inside the restrooms

Patricia Melton

Original Poster
While I like the idea...if I were a major Rapunzel fan...I think I'd prefer an attraction. I mean, it's cool and all to theme the bathroom and it would be an example of Disney taking something more mundane and plussing it; however, it's still a bathroom. And if it's too elaborate...can you imagine the the wait to use the potty!!! :eek:

Seriously though, if Rapunzel were my fave I'd like to see anything from a tower you could explore (sort of like the treehouse) but with painting sessions (kind of like the animation in DHS), maybe a dark ride where you ride in a floating light, and I LOVE the idea of the Snuggly Duckling restaurant.

Something tells me the Snuggly Duckling is going to happen and will be built in DLR in the future. I just have a feeling that when DLR gets its own Fantasyland expansion in the future (when Autopia is finally ripped out), they're going to want to repurpose some of the things in the FLE in MK...but I don't see them repeating Belle's village or BOG and the rest. I think a Fantasyland Expansion in Disneyland will ultimately include:

* Snuggly Duckling restaurant instead of Gaston's
* Rapunzel mine car ride instead of Seven Dwarves Mine Car ride
* Tiana's Palace Restaurant instead of BOG (built in New Orleans Square area maybe?)
* A Cinderella-themed ride instead of Little Mermaid (since LM is in DCA already)

This way the two parks have different things, but Disney can reuse the things that worked well in Florida.

I have no idea what the bathrooms will be themed to in California. Frozen or Brave?

lazyboy97o

At Disneyland there is a set of bathrooms behind the Alice in Wonderland dark ride that are decorated (not themed as is typically discussed with Disney) based on the King of Diamonds (men) and the Queen of Hearts (women).

cookiee_munster

i love the idea that the bathrooms are getting a rapunzel overlay. true, its a shame she hasn't got her own attraction, but its a lot better than nothing. :) and yes, a snuggly duckling restaurant would have been most welcome. that's got to be my favourite part in the film! "i have a dream!"

i was reading a post yesterday someone had linked. it was basically showing how fantasyland in Disneyland Ca has changed over the years. I haven't really followed the park until a couple of years ago. so i was stunned to find out it had that huge refurb in the 80's changing all the facades. and what a change!!! yes, eventually id like to see the other side of fantasyland get a good old amount of TLC and really improving the facades.

Animaniac93-98

I wonder will they change the music loop when the area is complete? Won't make much sense to have music for an "alpine" section when the main building that justified it is gone.

Biff215

Something tells me the Snuggly Duckling is going to happen and will be built in DLR in the future. I just have a feeling that when DLR gets its own Fantasyland expansion in the future (when Autopia is finally ripped out), they're going to want to repurpose some of the things in the FLE in MK...but I don't see them repeating Belle's village or BOG and the rest. I think a Fantasyland Expansion in Disneyland will ultimately include:

* Snuggly Duckling restaurant instead of Gaston's
* Rapunzel mine car ride instead of Seven Dwarves Mine Car ride
* Tiana's Palace Restaurant instead of BOG (built in New Orleans Square area maybe?)
* A Cinderella-themed ride instead of Little Mermaid (since LM is in DCA already)

This way the two parks have different things, but Disney can reuse the things that worked well in Florida.

I have no idea what the bathrooms will be themed to in California. Frozen or Brave?

My daughter has likely watched Tangled at least 100 times, but am I missing the connection you are making to a mine car ride? I can't figure that one out.

It will be nice if these restrooms include a Rapunzel theme. There really isn't anywhere else in Fantasyland to build a ride, other than the old Snow White which will of course be the M&G that includes Rapunzel anyway. As others have said, rebuilding this area really has become a necessity due to the traffic bottlenecks, undersized bathrooms, and limited Peter Pan queue. Building this solves all three problems, and instead of making the building generic, something themed would seem to tie in nicely and anchor that side of FL.

I still don't think Rapunzel will be totally out of luck when it comes to an attraction. I think a DHS is an obvious place that will need some updating soon once the FLE opens. VotLM and BatB both could be replaced, just take your pick for Tangled. Even though the movie is already a few years old, it seems to have aged well and Rapunzel's popularity might actually be rising still.

doctornick

I still don't think Rapunzel will be totally out of luck when it comes to an attraction. I think a DHS is an obvious place that will need some updating soon once the FLE opens. VotLM and BatB both could be replaced, just take your pick for Tangled. Even though the movie is already a few years old, it seems to have aged well and Rapunzel's popularity might actually be rising still.

There's been rumors that a Tangled show will replace BatB at DHS. It certainly makes sense to me for the reasons you state.

Patricia Melton

Original Poster
My daughter has likely watched Tangled at least 100 times, but am I missing the connection you are making to a mine car ride? I can't figure that one out.

It will be nice if these restrooms include a Rapunzel theme. There really isn't anywhere else in Fantasyland to build a ride, other than the old Snow White which will of course be the M&G that includes Rapunzel anyway. As others have said, rebuilding this area really has become a necessity due to the traffic bottlenecks, undersized bathrooms, and limited Peter Pan queue. Building this solves all three problems, and instead of making the building generic, something themed would seem to tie in nicely and anchor that side of FL.

There's that scene where Rapunzel and Flynn are on the run from the bad guys and they are being chased through that rocky area, inside of a mine of some kind and they end up racing around the tracks inside and outside of the caves.

When I've seen the movie, I always thought they could turn that scene into a ride.

ellie-badge

I don't find the idea of Tangled themed bathrooms weird at all. If anything, I think it's clever and would end up being extremely helpful. When somebody asks a cast member where the bathrooms are located, they could easily say, "They're located near the Tangled area!" :D

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom