WDW dissatisfaction?

YoungNY

Original Poster
Maybe I don't visit enough, maybe I don't pay enough attention or maybe I'm too young to remember the "good days", but it seems the same issue keeps coming up on these forums. It seems many people are dissatisfied with the state of the parks, the attractions, the themes, the layouts. I keep reading how people think AK and DHS are only half day parks. Apparently there is nothing to do in DHS or Epcot. I don't get this. Of course there are things I don't do and rides that don't interest me so I skip them, different strokes for different folks, but I still love a majority of what's offered. It seems DHS gets the worst of the bashing, but I've never seen anything wrong with this park. I could spend a whole day there no problem and I don't ride RnR. I guess I just dont understand how such avid Disney fans could have such dissatisfaction in the parks they love so much, or perhaps it's because you love it so much that your expectations are higher? Are the few rides that you love worth the price of the trip? What is it that keeps you coming back despite your disappointment?

Florida_is_hot

Everybody has their own opinion.

I imagine if you never been to any park, even Animal Kingdom is a full day park.
If you been to the parks dozens of times you pass on some attractions.

For this reason Animal Kingdom for me is a half day.

People always want more.

MITCH 112198

I imagine if you never been to any park, even Animal Kingdom is a full day park.

People always want more.[/q

Me too, Animal kingdom half day and done!

powlessfamily4

I agree. If you go at least once or twice a year, every year, you pretty much know which rides/attractions you like and which ones you want to skip. Having said that, I believe a lot of the dissatisfaction comes from unrealistic standards that people formulate in their own minds. Is there area for improvement? Absolutely, there always is, however you have to know there are realistic and unrealistic standards placed on Disney. Magic has no boundaries in our minds.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Dissatisfaction seems to come hand in hand with extreme fandom. The opinions you see on this site and other like it might represent about .1% of Disney's client base and tend to be extreme in nature. " X was better back then", "All they care about is money", "All change is bad" seem to be the battle cry to those who have gotten too deep into a particular area of entertainment. Go to a Star Wars fan forum and you will honestly wonder if anyone on the planet liked any of the films.

All of this use to bother me as well but I learned to ignore the insane ramblings and pull out the rational opinions and simply enjoy what I enjoy.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
Maybe I don't visit enough, maybe I don't pay enough attention or maybe I'm too young to remember the "good days", but it seems the same issue keeps coming up on these forums. It seems many people are dissatisfied with the state of the parks, the attractions, the themes, the layouts. I keep reading how people think AK and DHS are only half day parks. Apparently there is nothing to do in DHS or Epcot. I don't get this. Of course there are things I don't do and rides that don't interest me so I skip them, different strokes for different folks, but I still love a majority of what's offered. It seems DHS gets the worst of the bashing, but I've never seen anything wrong with this park. I could spend a whole day there no problem and I don't ride RnR. I guess I just dont understand how such avid Disney fans could have such dissatisfaction in the parks they love so much, or perhaps it's because you love it so much that your expectations are higher? Are the few rides that you love worth the price of the trip? What is it that keeps you coming back despite your disappointment?

I'm 14... and I believe since I've started using these forums I've become part of the crowd and canNOT get away from critisizing every single little detail that's not working on an attraction and immediately think "Disney's just not on their game anymore" when it was most likely the same way years ago even tho people won't admit it. Trust me. Leave while you can o_o

coachwnh

I agree. If you go at least once or twice a year, every year, you pretty much know which rides/attractions you like and which ones you want to skip. Having said that, I believe a lot of the dissatisfaction comes from unrealistic standards that people formulate in their own minds. Is there area for improvement? Absolutely, there always is, however you have to know there are realistic and unrealistic standards placed on Disney. Magic has no boundaries in our minds.
Amen

coachwnh

Dissatisfaction seems to come hand in hand with extreme fandom. The opinions you see on this site and other like it might represent about .1% of Disney's client base and tend to be extreme in nature. " X was better back then", "All they care about is money", "All change is bad" seem to be the battle cry to those who have gotten too deep into a particular area of entertainment. Go to a Star Wars fan forum and you will honestly wonder if anyone on the planet liked any of the films.

All of this use to bother me as well but I learned to ignore the insane ramblings and pull out the rational opinions and simply enjoy what I enjoy.

Amen again!

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
I've been going two to four times a year since 2001. I have yet to figure out how anybody can say any park is a half-day park unless they do only what they personally like and only once. I do what I like multiple times and have never had any issue with any park.

I don't complain about things that aren't "perfect" because I'm content with what's there.

JohnLocke

I probably think more highly of the current state of the parks than a sizable chunk of the fans on here, but that said there's always and definitely room for improvement.

While a person's opinion that a park is a half-day park or not is in the eye of the beholder, I think you'd be hard pressed to find many who don't feel that DHS and AK aren't half-day parks in their current states. I say this as someone who's an early riser when it comes to Disney and hits the parks immediately.

AK, when we've done it early in the morning, is rarely anywhere near crowded, and this was during Christmas, and we were able to go on every major attraction, many more than once, in a span of about 3-4 hours. I was even able to do EE about 4 or 5 times in a row without a wait on multiple days. As it stands now, there are only around 7-8 things that I would categorize as rides, and that's pushing it by 3-4 really. There are also a few shows to do as well, but even these can be done relatively quickly if planned right.

DHS has 3 major rides, if you hit them back to back to back in the morning you can be mostly done with the park in the span of a few hours as well.

I know that many, myself included like to ride things multiple times, but even this doesn't eat up too much time. These two parks just don't have what MK, a ton of rides and attractions, and EPCOT, a good number of rides but much explorable space, as of right now to make them worthwhile for a full day without a Hopper.

ginadee

I just found this site and joined. Disney Fanatic here. I think everything about it is 1st class and magical. Ive only gone with adults, usually two of us so I definately skip alot of attractions and still couldnt manage half days in any parks. HS used to be my fave and now its AK. Always takes a full day for each park for me.

olinecoach61

I just found this site and joined. Disney Fanatic here. I think everything about it is 1st class and magical. Ive only gone with adults, usually two of us so I definately skip alot of attractions and still couldnt manage half days in any parks. HS used to be my fave and now its AK. Always takes a full day for each park for me.
Welcome aboard!

bethymouse

Upkeep of the parks and all of the DISNEY property is outrageous! I don't know how they keep up w/ it all!:eek:
AK, if you explore the trails and take some time @ Rafiki's Planet Watch inside, is a full day park. Don't forget about Nemo and The Lion King shows!:) True, not many rides, and most of us would like more, but that's what separates Disney from the rest.:D
HS has several shows to see, and again a few rides, but it's the atmosphere that makes it so special to most people!:)
EPCOT doesn't have the amount of rides it should either, but World Showcase takes 1/2 the day if you truly explore it!:)
I come back because every time I go, I have a different memorable magical experience! Rides are just rides, but, there's just something about "the mouse"!:D

71dsp

People always want more.

Is there area for improvement? Absolutely, there always is, however you have to know there are realistic and unrealistic standards placed on Disney.

This is absolutely true. My family and I love going to Disney. I think they've done a pretty darn good job on the parks, rides, etc. We don't usually focus on anything negative while we're there (although we may complain about a long line here or there), but for us, our trips to WDW are absolutely the most fun we have during the year. We love being there, and better yet, we love being there spending time together as a family.

I think if I ever started to really bash on WDW, all I'd have to do is go to the local Six Flags to be reminded why I like WDW so much (especially the cleanliness!). :)

plaz10

People always want more.

Agreed. I personally have seen all AK has to offer and it doesn't particularly interest me aside from a few rides. So it is only a half day park for me as well (it would actually be a "no day" park for me but my fiance feels we SHOULD visit even if only for half day as we're there for 8 days. I oblige.)

PolynesianPrincess

Like people have mentioned, people always want MORE. And it is usually those people who get to visit yearly, if not more. I visit about every 6 months and I still find DHS and AK to be full day parks. We are people who enjoy the rides AND shows though. Disney doesn't have the power to change things frequently so of course those visiting more often would like to see new stuff. It's just not possible though. I think some people just always need something to complain about.

sweetpee_1993

Admittedly, I'm one that thinks in many instances Disney doesn't hold themselves to the show quality standards they themsves created in WDW. I grew up in Orlando, my first trip was as a toddler in '76. I've been to WDW a lot. I think if I didn't care I wouldn't feel disappointment. I just wouldn't care. Ya know?

Other factors definitely play into the grand scheme for me. I have no problem in discussing that as well. As the years have passed attendance steadily has climbed even in the "off" season. I find as I get older I have less patience or desire to navigate the hoards effectively. I'm not a morning person. I don't want to have to get up & go before 8 to enjoy the parks before the masses set in. Planning where to eat on each day & make ADRs 6-months out just doesn't appeal so much anymore. When once the planning was as thrilling as the trip itself, now it's more like work...work I don't want to do at all. Also, admittedly, for me there comes a time with anything that I'm done & not so interested for a while. This applies just as much with the other big passions of mine: my doll collection & sewing. Sometimes I go long periods without touching one of my dolls or feeling the urge to purchase one. There's been times when my sewing machine stayed put away for a solid year. Eventually I get interested again. Right now I can't really think of a thing I want to do in any of the 4 WDW parks. I'd like to go back to Typhoon Lagoon & see Blizard Beach but I'm not making a trip for that. I recently had the opportunity. Hubby asked me if I'd like to go to WDW just the 2 of us for a long weekend. My response? "Nah." I'm just not feelin'

sweetpee_1993

^^^((I do not know why I can't edit a post since the format change...stupid iPhone submitted before I was done!))

...it.

Basically, dissatisfaction comes for many reasons. Doesn't mean it's game over forever for that person. Maybe they just need a little break, time to go soak up some other Dosney experiences.

Just thought I'd comment from the perspective of the WDW dissatisfied... Can't wait for my upcoming Disney cruises, tho! LOL!

PennyInPink

I think the level of expectations have risen dramatically. Remember the "Good old days" when a county fair was the highlight of a summer? Altho the prices have skyrocked to the point that we all feel a higher level of entitlement. "I have paid X amount of dollars, so I expect..."

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom