Better time of year for WDW visit

DisneyJunkie

Original Poster
My DW and I have a friendly disagreement on what we feel is the best time to visit WDW. She feels that late January is the best time because the crowds are generally low and the weather isn't unbearably hot. I feel that our usual time of late September is the best, in part because of the warmer weather, and also because in that time of year you don't typically have many attractions down for refurbishment. I also like it because for the most part with schools across the nation having just started for the year, many families wouldn't want to plan a trip at that time (although that seems to be changing somewhat with the free dining offers and so forth that are usually found at that time of year).

What do you find to be the best time of year to visit?

real mad hatter

Burn Baby Burn.

Give me heat,let me feel that solar ray on my face,coming from Scotland we praise this mysterious ball of fire that gives us warmth.All in seriousness anytime is good for a vacation to WDW. This year will be our fifth trip and always in July.Why? Because it's like a big party at every park.We love the atmosphere and meeting people from all over this planet,and of course it's school hols,and if we ended up at Disney and all we saw was adults and no children,well that to me ain't a Disney vacation.Hey,but when your as mad as myself,every day is a party,so let the fun begin,sunshine and showers.Whoo Hoo.:sohappy:

popcenturylover

Give me heat,let me feel that solar ray on my face,coming from Scotland we praise this mysterious ball of fire that gives us warmth.All in seriousness anytime is good for a vacation to WDW. This year will be our fifth trip and always in July.Why? Because it's like a big party at every park.We love the atmosphere and meeting people from all over this planet,and of course it's school hols,and if we ended up at Disney and all we saw was adults and no children,well that to me ain't a Disney vacation.Hey,but when your as mad as myself,every day is a party,so let the fun begin,sunshine and showers.Whoo Hoo.:sohappy:

I have to agree with you. Anytime is a good time to visit WDW!:D Especially since we are from Ohio and it is almost always warmer in Florida!

Mickey_777

We've gone in October, April, March, and November before. November was hands down the best time between holloween and Thanksgiving. The parks were empty and relaxed and the weather was awesome. 80 degrees everyday is what I'm talking about. Less is too cold and hotter can get uncomfortable IMO.

Pioneer Hall

I like both times of year, but when the debate comes to weather then it is really personal preference. If you like touring in the cooler weather then Jan will be best, if you like the heat then Sept works.

Ginzuishou

January, the week after the 1st, has always been the best time for me and my friends to go.

The weather is cool and the crowds are small.

Make sure to check ride refurbishment schedules before finalizing your trip. Worst thing would be your favorite ride out of commission while you are down there. I don't think you can check that far ahead right now (January 2013), so you'll have to keep checking.

p.s. I'm planning to go January 2013

DisneyDebNJ

October has always been our fav time. Mid to end of Oct/beginning of Nov., crowds aren't bad at all, and the weather is usually fabulous! Hot days (around high 80s low 90s) nights, cool and breezy. Unfortunately the last few Octobers have been unseasonably hot, but still, nights were really nice. Plus, the food and wine festival runs during this time. Weekends are a little busier than the weekdays, but very doable.

J03Y

generally the best time is during the school year (but not during December/January and March/April. that's winter and spring break), given that the majority of families aren't usually visiting because of school. summer is just too chaotic and the heat is just a happily added bonus. i'd say around September to November is the best time to go. the heat isn't as intense and the number of guests is really died down. the first several weeks of school is when there is the most attendance to classes. i usually go around October/November. but that's just me.

Cmdr_Crimson

January, the week after the 1st, has always been the best time for me and my friends to go.

The weather is cool and the crowds are small.

Make sure to check ride refurbishment schedules before finalizing your trip. Worst thing would be your favorite ride out of commission while you are down there. I don't think you can check that far ahead right now (January 2013), so you'll have to keep checking.

p.s. I'm planning to go January 2013

Same Here! Can't wait to go back..:sohappy:

JIMINYCR

We've loved the atmosphere found throughout the parks along with Christmas displays when visiting in mid December.

Fundementally, it comes down to a choice between visiting the parks in a jacket or in shorts. I'd rather visit in shorts.

Although packing shorts leaves more room in the suitcase for taking home more souvineers.:sohappy:

Cmdr_Crimson

I've only gone during 2 times Sept/Oct or January..I find that January seems to be the best bet for me..It's not too busy it's just right..I try to avoid when MLK weekend hits as that week tends to be a little bit busier as parents take their kids out of school to come so I try to go a week after.

CP_alum08

We went in September two years ago and it was as close to perfect as we thought it could get! We went back this past september and even in two years we have seen a definite increase in crowds.

I've mentioned this before, but I think it's worth mentioning again :) I think with all the thousands of places (websites, books, travel agents, etc.) telling you when the 'slow seasons' are eventually you will see a point when the seasons flip flop. More people will think its a better idea to go in sept., oct., etc. and then not go in dec., jan., aug.

Just my thoughts!

Sloan

November, early December

My favorite when focusing on climate is probably early December, because it's cool, crowds are low and you get to see all of the Christmas decorations w/o the Christmas crowds.

I hate the heat, and have sworn off of summer visits. My last January trip saw nights in the 20's which I loved, but might not have appreciated if I was visiting Florida to get away from winter. I was still driving around with my top down!

My personal choice for the "best" time is late October / early November to avoid the heat and crowds, but to catch the EPCOT Food & Wine Festival - if I can only make it to the World once in a year, that's when I go.

The last time I went in September it was still really, really uncomfortably hot ...

Nicholas016

It's really just opinion of how you like the weather, for instance I usually go in July and August and it is super super hot, but my girlfriend and I love it, While the rest of my family doesn't enjoy it to much, it's just whatever you prefer really

David S.

I hate the heat, and have sworn off of summer visits. My last January trip saw nights in the 20's which I loved, but might not have appreciated if I was visiting Florida to get away from winter. I was still driving around with my top down!

The last time I went in September it was still really, really uncomfortably hot ...

Completely agree!

I agree. Given the choice between a late January and late September WDW visit, I'd pick late September. Crowds are similar, weather is very different. Fundementally, it comes down to a choice between visiting the parks in a jacket or in shorts. I'd rather visit in shorts.

Given that choice, I'd take January by a mile!

For me, January vs September means visiting in shorts and being comfortable (January), or visiting in shorts and feeling like I'm suffocating in the relentless heat and stifflingly sticky, muggy humidity and at risk of collapsing from heat stroke (September). ;)

The average WDW high in January is 71 degrees which is only 6 degrees hotter than my ideal "neutral" temperature of a comfortably cavelike 65. The average overnight low is 47, and it is usually in the 50's or low 60's at night when the parks close, which is VERY comfortable for me and not cold enough for me to feel the need for long pants and/or a sweater or jacket.

September, on the other hand, has a relentlessly uncomfortable (for me) average high of 90, which is almost as bad as the June/July/August average highs of 91/92/92. I can take a nice shower, walk outside, and immediately feel like I've just stepped into a stupid bloody unbearable sauna and need another one.

And the average overnight low of 72 in September offers little relief, as it is usually hotter, more humid, and muggier than this when the parks close. (more like upper 70's/low-mid 80's at night in the parks). What I am craving for instead is 65 (or lower!) to match the home AC settings I am used to and acclimatized to.

I have wintered in Florida for the past 7 seasons, and have rarely if ever experienced weather I would classify as uncomfortably cold; just pleasantly cool. I've certainly encountered more days that were too hot for my liking even in winter than too cold. In fact, I don't ever recall being "too cold" in a WDW winter. If it gets into the mid 40's or lower, I just wear long pants and a sweater, and I'm comfy (except when I enter a building that has the infernal heater blasting, and then I wish I was in shorts and a t-shirt!)

Based on my taste, I'd be miserable in September. I've lived in the south my whole life, and have never gotten used to the excessive heat and stiffling, overwhelming humidity. Different strokes for different folks, etc.

Another nice thing about January is it's the dry season at WDW and there is only 2.91 average inches of rain. And the rain you do get is much less likely to be thunderstorms due to the cooler temps. September has 5.09 average inches, which is not as bad as the ridiculous amount of rain and thunderstorms in June/July/August, but the rain in Sept is still more likely to be accompanied by lightning than in January.

WDW temp and rain averages: http://www.weather.com/weather/wxclimatology/monthly/graph/USFL0615

My ideal time to start a WDW trip is a few days after Christmas. This allows me to spend Christmas at home with family and friends before heading to WDW in time to see all the Christmas decorations and entertainment before they go away.

PS. I've noticed a lot of southern meteorologists refer to weather in the 50's as "cold" instead of the more appropriate "cool", but blistering hot weather in the upper 80's and 90's as "warm" instead of the more appropriate "HOT". Never could figure that one out! ;)

minniemickeyfan

End of May to early June without a doubt. Been all times of the year and this is our favorite. Star Wars Weekends is going on, we can go to the water parks without worrying about the weather plus this time of year we can stay the longest since school's out.

Another consideration for September is do you like the Halloween decorations or even the parties, this is always one of our favourite times to visit the disney parks and get some trick or treating fun.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom