AVATAR land coming to Disney's Animal Kingdom

RSoxNo1

Because investing hundreds of millions in a failed franchise is doom for the park?

I think we've established that the movie is not only a success, but a success across multiple age groups. The more and more I think about this partnership, the more it makes sense.

Also consider how difficult it is for Disney to tackle the male demographic. The Disney name itself hurts their ability to reach teenage/young adult males because the perception is that Disney is for kids and/or females. Acquiring Marvel helped with this but they can't use that property in WDW and they already made the mistake of labeling the network geared towards the male demographic as Disney XD.

Avatar has an appeal that extends beyond just that male demographic. While, it's not Harry Potter, it has some of those same characteristics.

bhg469

I find it amusing that numerous people keep saying they should build clones of other rides at WDW instead of coming up with something new. The possibilities for rides and themeing out of this are too numerous to count. The technological aspect of new attractions and effects in this land have the ability to go well above and beyond what's standard out there today.

Disney grew to what it is today through new ideas and creative thinking. With something like this let them do what they do best before you start to say such things as "I'll never step foot in that land" or I wish we would just get a cloned copy of a ride from Tokyo etc...

While being absolutely ridiculous it is not surprising that not even one piece of concept art has been put out for this yet but people already hate what they are going to build...

I find the "clone" argument to be played out. A lot of attractions are well out of the reach of typical people. I would love to see Disney sea but I have very little chance of ever seeing it or any of its attractions. I am all for WDW getting world class attractions even if they exist only overseas. Having said that I am not an avatar fan but I think if done right this could be a very cool addition.

SleepingMonk

Avatar has an appeal that extends beyond just that male demographic. While, it's not Harry Potter, it has some of those same characteristics.

The first movie was a huge success, but only in terms of ticket and DVD sales.

Neither of which mean a thing to a guest inside the park waiting on line, looking for merch.

Merch was a dud, and that was the point of my post.

Yes the visuals were great but you can't sell models of clouds and floating mountains. A giant plastic tree isn't exactly high on a kid's Christmas list.

DonaldDoleWhip

The first movie was a huge success, but only in terms of ticket and DVD sales.
Only in terms of sales?

-academy award nomination for best picture
-83% on rotten tomatoes
-it was #1 at the box office for 6 (maybe 7) weeks, and while its first weekend didn't set records, weekends 2-6 did (indicating that word of mouth propelled it to record-setting levels. Most movies have a huge opening weekend and then drop off sharply because word of mouth can't sustain them).

It's beyond silly to say avatar was only a success financially. The film had some true merits (I've never seen the movie, but obviously visuals were great), and I think these merits will work very well in a theme park attraction.

FigmentJedi

Disney grew to what it is today through new ideas and creative thinking. With something like this let them do what they do best before you start to say such things as "I'll never step foot in that land" or I wish we would just get a cloned copy of a ride from Tokyo etc...
But Tokyo has nice things, often original or underutilized/things not used to full potential elsewhere content. Why don't you want nice things like those? Copying Tokyo is the good kind of copying

I still don't see why they don't build Beastly Kingdom instead. It would have dealt with mythological creatures that have been part of the world for centuries. It would have been a broad theme that could have ranged from dragons to Egyptian Rocs (giant flying birds).

Avatar is a sci-fi movie that came out two years ago. It fits in Animal Kingdom as well as Starship Troopers would have.

bhg469

But Tokyo has nice things, often original or underutilized/things not used to full potential elsewhere content. Why don't you want nice things like those? Copying Tokyo is the good kind of copying

Agreed 100% if we get a clone of that BRING IT ON!

WDWGoof07

Well, your in luck if you dont care for the end result because I'm sure the area will be clearly marked on park maps so you don't accidentally find yourself somewhere you don't deem fun.
You don't have to automatically like a theme park project just because it has a big budget. If you have a bad story, no amount of technology or window dressing can save it. I'm merely offering my initial thoughts, and I don't have to keep to myself just because they are negative. I'm not alone in my concerns that the IP won't work for an entire theme park land, either. I'm not so sure it belongs in DAK, and, if it were in DHS, I think I would be more accepting of it at this point. Even if I ended up disliking the land, I wouldn't mind it so much if it were in DHS because DAK has a special organic vibe going and travel into movie worlds wouldn't clash with DHS. I'm going to try it.

I hope that I'll enjoy it, and, more importantly, I hope it enhances, rather than clashes with, the beauty of DAK. If I don't like it, I won't return.

HoosierWDWFan

I have been hanging around this forum for months and I finally am making my first comments.

I think that at the very least we are receiving an answer to the bothersome aspect of having an incomplete park. DAK needs more and with AVATAR we get that. It may not be everyone's top idea, but a fresh concept to run with might be just what the doctor ordered.

I am looking forward to seeing how they are going to accomplish this feat. I am confident that it will be like nothing we have ever seen before. Universal laid down the gauntlet and Iger is not going to take it laying down.

:sohappy:

ChrisFL

Premium Member
Yes the visuals were great but you can't sell models of clouds and floating mountains. A giant plastic tree isn't exactly high on a kid's Christmas list.

yeah, Disney would never sell a plastic tree for people to buy

140.jpg

SoccerMickey

You don't have to automatically like a theme park project just because it has a big budget. If you have a bad story, no amount of technology or window dressing can save it. I'm merely offering my initial thoughts, and I don't have to keep to myself just because they are negative. I'm not alone in my concerns that the IP won't work for an entire theme park land, either. I especially don't think it belongs in DAK, and, if it were in DHS, I think I would be more accepting of its presence even if I disliked the land itself. I'm going to try it. I hope that I'll enjoy it, and, more importantly, I hope it enhances, rather than clashes with, the beauty of DAK. If I don't like it, I won't return.

The Avatar section of Disney's Animal Kingdom, I am sure, will promise to be a totally immersive, beautiful addition to the theme park based on a property franchise that nobody really cares about....just like the rest of Disney's Animal Kingdom. Therefore, it will fit in just perfectly.

NoChesterHester

The Avatar section of Disney's Animal Kingdom, I am sure, will promise to be a totally immersive, beautiful addition to the theme park based on a property franchise that nobody really cares about....just like the rest of Disney's Animal Kingdom. Therefore, it will fit in just perfectly.

I laughed.

TyrantBoss

Oh Goodie....7 years of this B.S.

So we are going to have to hear speculation, complaint, conjecture and blather about this Avatar Land for the next 7 YEARS?!?!? SERIOUSLY?!?!?

Why don't you all just zip it until Disney comes out with some kind of a plan or diagram. Anything before that is just an empty waste of time.

_Scar

So we are going to have to hear speculation, complaint, conjecture and blather about this Avatar Land for the next 7 YEARS?!?!? SERIOUSLY?!?!?

Why don't you all just zip it until Disney comes out with some kind of a plan or diagram. Anything before that is just an empty waste of time.

4. Doesn't it open in 2015?

And more projects will come along to drown it all out. :wave:

Cosmic Commando

We are really fortunate, I think, that Disney has been open about their plans to take this worldwide. This movie did huge business in China and Japan, too. DAK is the first and Disney desperately wants this to be a success so they can clone it globally.

Of course, you could have said much the same of Mission: Space. :lookaroun

4. Doesn't it open in 2015?

And more projects will come along to drown it all out. :wave:

I think maybe 2016? If they start in 2013, three years of construction time would be on par with a project like Everest.

Scuttle

I have been hanging around this forum for months and I finally am making my first comments.

I think that at the very least we are receiving an answer to the bothersome aspect of having an incomplete park. DAK needs more and with AVATAR we get that. It may not be everyone's top idea, but a fresh concept to run with might be just what the doctor ordered.

I am looking forward to seeing how they are going to accomplish this feat. I am confident that it will be like nothing we have ever seen before. Universal laid down the gauntlet and Iger is not going to take it laying down.

:sohappy:

I agree. I know a lot of us arent sure about this announcement, but I'm confident this new land will be absolutely mind-blowing .

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom