AVATAR land coming to Disney's Animal Kingdom

paul436

OMG, I was reading this story with my mouth wide open. This has the potential to be a deeply immersive and interactive land. Great news!!:sohappy:

janoimagine

Yeah, WDI is brilliant because they think these things through. There ar exceptions, but they would never just be like, "Pssht, whatever, let's not overthink this design too much."

I never said WDI wouldn't give the correct amount of thought required to make this a success ... However there is an extremely fine line between the perfect amount of thought and overthought ...

My point was people here are way over thinking the way this will fit into the current landscape of AK. Give Cameron and WDI time to create the story, draw up some skinnylines and put pen to paper before we bash the idea and say it doesn't fit because its from a planet from another galaxy ... if you don't like Avatar ... and think it's only about Aliens having __x with their hair :lol: (someone elses words) then you are missing out.

bgraham34

OMG, I was reading this story with my mouth wide open. This has the potential to be a deeply immersive and interactive land. Great news!!:sohappy:

It certainly does, i heard about this news yesterday but just got a chance to go online this morning. I am not a huge fan of Avatar the movie but I do wish Disney the best with this.

nngrendel

. Give Cameron and WDI time to create the story, draw up some skinnylines and put pen to paper before we bash the idea and say it doesn't fit because its from a planet from another galaxy

I agree with this. I want to see what they plan on giving us before I say I am not happy with it. However there are going to be those that hate it before they even break ground and continue to hate it just because. Even if its a success.

I just appreciate they are expanding. Something new to see and either hate or enjoy is better than visiting year after year with nothing new.

janoimagine

I agree with this. I want to see what they plan on giving us before I say I am not happy with it. However there are going to be those that hate it before they even break ground and continue to hate it just because. Even if its a success.

I just appreciate they are expanding. Something new to see and either hate or enjoy is better than visiting year after year with nothing new.

Whats that line ... Haters gonna hate? :D

Mr_Incredible

I couldn't resist.

haha very cool!

RunnerEd

Go back about 30 pages and watch the movie trailer that describes Pandora. This is less about the movie than it is about the planet. I've never seen the movie (although is now on top of my Netflix queue), but I'm still excited for the possibilities. The collaboration of James Cameron and Joe Rohde itself should produce excitement in anyone that hears about this. From the announcement, it sounds to me like the only thing that is inked right now is the contract, so the imagineering is just about to begin.

I'm happy to see Animal Kingdom move away from the zoo theme as well. Although they have done amazing things for/with animals, they have never wanted AK to be just another zoo. Adding Australia or another continent to the park would have been nice, but it would have kept the same zoo theme. This gives them the opportunity to move beyond that. It also has HUGE potential for after dark entertainment that will be able to co-exist with the animals.

BTW - Kudos to Tom Staggs. You clearly intend to make a positive mark on Disney and I can't wait to see what's to come.

Well said. To me, this trumps Australia/South America/North America areas big time. This is, IMO, the Beastly Kingdom 2.0, and has the potential for being incredible! Can you imagine "Pandora Land" at night, right before park closing? I wasn't a huge fan of the movie, I'm military and don't like how they/we were portrayed. However, the visuals were simply stunning and I can't wait to walk through it.

jt04

Lutz is already attempting to marginalize the announcement which he would never do if Avatar was slated for the DLR. So transparent. I guess Mr Yee has his marching orders now. :lol:

Just kidding :animwink:

Anyway, his main point is that Avatar is not able to be merchandised in the same way as Cars. If it were that easy the success of Cars would be repeated over and over. Cars is 'lightning in the bottle' and Disney was fortunate enough to be able to buy Pixar. Wasn't Al a critic of that deal? Huh.

Of course, we all celebrate the success of Cars merchandising and all that profit because some of that money will obviously be used to give WDW a new land called Pandora. And we won't settle for anything but the best. Thanks Carsland. :wave:

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
A couple things...

Maybe we can ease off the word "Haters". Just because someone does not like Avatar, and this land does not appeal to them, that does not make them some ignorant "hater" who hates just to hate. In fact, I would argue that the ones using the phrasing such as "they are just haters" are in fact the ones doing the hating.

Now about the land itself. No doubt it has the potential to be a deeply themed environment. But I think the idea that it is going to resemble the world James Cameron created in AVATAR is more then optimistic. There will be no floating islands, there will be no 900 foot trees, there will be no exotic made up animals milling about. Imagining this kind of environment is only setting yourself up for disappointment.

Not that it matters, but IMO, I would rather they had stayed earthbound. Bring us the Amazon, and El Dorado or Paradise Falls, or any number of stunning natural wonders and environments that we have right here.

jt04

Well said. To me, this trumps Australia/South America/North America areas big time. This is, IMO, the Beastly Kingdom 2.0, and has the potential for being incredible! Can you imagine "Pandora Land" at night, right before park closing? I wasn't a huge fan of the movie, I'm military and don't like how they/we were portrayed. However, the visuals were simply stunning and I can't wait to walk through it.

Yes, I see it as BK for the 21st century.

I have had the feeling for awhile that any expansion at DAK would not include live animals because of the logistics and expense. The only way I can imagine they would expand the zoo portion is if they build a South America some day. But I also would not be suprised if the zoo was phased out completely over the next decade or two with Disney deciding to concentrate all conservation projects and investments largely with projects in Florida. See the Disney Wilderness Preserve which has been a huge success. (not to be confused with the Wilderness Lodge or Fort Wilderness)

allgar

I'm amazed at so many of these comments. We complain that there isn't enough happening, then we complain that we don't like when they choose to do something. *sigh*

This move can be categorized very simply. Avatar is a giant brand, and Disney is betting that it's on the same level as their investments in Star Wars and Indiana Jones. There is a huge built in following that represents immediate money making potential. For this reason, it is a significantly better play for Disney than coming out with Beastly Kingdom. Get over it already, if they can take advantage of existing marketing and fan base, they should, and good on them.

As for the fit, well, it's a lush planet with a myriad of interesting wild animals. Sound familiar? Focus on that and you won't have any problem understanding the fit. Giant blue people or not, this one is going to be about the planet and the very unique interesting animals. A dark ride could be great. I imagine something like the Indy ride in DL only with a new ride vehicle, perhaps something more like the Potter ride.

I for one say "Yay!" this is going to be a lot of fun... and if anyone cares to know, I am not a huge Avatar fan, but I see the vast potential of the franchise and the creative expanse it delivers.

jt04

I'm amazed at so many of these comments. We complain that there isn't enough happening, then we complain that we don't like when they choose to do something. *sigh*

This move can be categorized very simply. Avatar is a giant brand, and Disney is betting that it's on the same level as their investments in Star Wars and Indiana Jones. There is a huge built in following that represents immediate money making potential. For this reason, it is a significantly better play for Disney than coming out with Beastly Kingdom. Get over it already, if they can take advantage of existing marketing and fan base, they should, and good on them.

As for the fit, well, it's a lush planet with a myriad of interesting wild animals. Sound familiar? Focus on that and you won't have any problem understanding the fit. Giant blue people or not, this one is going to be about the planet and the very unique interesting animals. A dark ride could be great. I imagine something like the Indy ride in DL only with a new ride vehicle, perhaps something more like the Potter ride.

I for one say "Yay!" this is going to be a lot of fun... and if anyone cares to know, I am not a huge Avatar fan, but I see the vast potential of the franchise and the creative expanse it delivers.

I think the synergy of Imagineering and James Cameron will only help the films and possibly propel the stories told by the films to a level they might not have reached otherwise. Truly a win-win.

Todd H

I feel the same. One doesn't have to be a fan of a movie to enjoy an attraction based on said movie. And this has the potential for a number of FUN rides and attractions. I say bring it on.

mickeysaver

As a fan base, do WE really know what we want?

We want a major expansion.
But not FLE because that caters too much to princess & little girls.
We didn't like the fact that nothing major was mentioned at D23 back in August.
There isn't enough for older kids in the parks.
Avatar caters too much to older kids in the parks.
We need more Disney-oriented expansions.
But FLE isn't good enough.
Get rid of Stitch & Zazu from the Tiki Room. Now they're gone...but the show isn't what we wanted.
We want Cars Land...but we don't want too much Pixar!
We miss retro-Epcot. Why did they bring back Captain EO?
We want a clone of Tokyo DisneySea for WDW. But we want WDW to stay original and not spounge off other parks...

If you're a Disney exec...stay the hell away from internet forums. It's just not worth it.

:sohappy: Masterful.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom