That Polynesian smell ...

a2grafix

Let me preface by saying that I should have asked a cast member at the Polynesian while I stayed at the Shades of Green Dec. 11-16, but alas I did not.

Each time I ventured inside the Polynesian hotel, be it after walking the Shades of Green trail to the back entrance of the Great Ceremonial House, cutting through the loading dock and into the main ground floor entrance, or exiting the monorail and through the second-floor doors ...

... This massive "South Pacific" smell hit me, and hit me hard.

This might have been discussed before, and sorry for not looking around for it. I was wondering if anything could come up with the fragrances that could equal the smell of the Polynesian. It's quite strong and I love it.

It has to be a mix of the running water through the lobby, coconut, pineapple, and something else.

If possible I'd love to purchase candles that might replicate the smell for my apartment.

Thanks!

gingerbreadtikibar.jpg

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
I'm pretty sure much of that is the scents of the various plants they have in the lobby and throughout the grounds that are native to that part of the world. Beyond planting the same variety at home, I'm not sure you could replicate it.

But I will agree it is an overpowering, yet pleasant experience. :D

Upvote 0

Pioneer Hall

I agree that the smell is great, but I think that it is mostly natural as Monty said. The great ceremonial house allows a lot of scents to mix due to its open atmosphere. The water, plants, and cooking combine together to create that very unique scent.

Upvote 0

coachz

Exactly! We always videotaped our family's reaction to the smell as they entered the lobby. So far, the best we could do at home is use a ROSE scent, liquid sprayed working the best.

Upvote 0

EPCOTPluto

Maybe it's because I live here in Florida, but I can't recall such a scent. :shrug:

But with the plant life, most likely the smell. Also agree in looking for candles with the scent of those tropical plants...

Upvote 0

Mystic

It definitely comes from the various plants. We stayed at the Poly at the start of December and we would get off the monorail at the TTC and walk back to our room through the Poly grounds and the minute you stepped onto the grounds, we were hit with a fragrance that you didn't have on the other side of the roadway at the TTC. We figure it had to do with all the plant life/flowers that line the grounds.

Upvote 0

heartodisney

Scents are a VERY powerful sense for we humans..threads about what you smell in different parks have been disscussed before. It can make or break a attraction. By the way, I guess I have not gone far enough into the Poly, where is the bakery located? Those pasterys look great! Yummy!

Upvote 0

EPCOT Explorer

So agree with you. :eek: One of my favorite scents in WDW, if not anywhere.

I'm thinking it is the "Disney" water, plants, and SOME sort of perfume/deodorizer. There's a strong scent of vanilla in there.

Upvote 0

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
Scents are a VERY powerful sense for we humans..threads about what you smell in different parks have been disscussed before. It can make or break a attraction. By the way, I guess I have not gone far enough into the Poly, where is the bakery located? Those pasterys look great! Yummy!
That's the small cash and carry cafe to the left as you enter from the Monoirail. Right between the entrance and Kona Cafe.

Upvote 0

fredtom

I think the best smell in all the World hits you when you enter the Great Ceremonial House at the Poly. I instinctively take a deep breath when I walk in there, followed by a long ahhhhh.... My wife first noticed that I do it without realizing it.

Outside-- walking around the grounds also has a delicious scent... especially if the gardenias are in bloom around the pool and garden area. :slurp:

The second best smell is found in the lobby of AKL- Jambo House.

"An Adventurer's life is best!" :lol:

Upvote 0
Wow! I wish I knew. I really know what you all mean! Our first big inhale upon entering the GCH is one of the highlights of each visit! For some reason, whenever I do a load of wash with "fresh scent" bleach I get a whiff of the Poly; perhaps they use something like that in their laundry? That may sound strange, but it works for me!

Upvote 0

a2grafix

Original Poster
By the way, I guess I have not gone far enough into the Poly, where is the bakery located? Those pasterys look great! Yummy!

The bakery counter is actually the Kona coffee bar right next to the entrance of the monorail. It's open at around 6am until 12 noon-ish. IT then converts to a sushi stand for afternoon / dinner time.

Upvote 0

a2grafix

Original Poster
Thanks everyone for the insight into the scents of the Great Ceremonial House. Over the holiday weekend at my parent's house, my mom had a vanilla candle in a side bathroom and it cued me into thinking about the Polynesian.

I dig the Hawaiian culture, tikis and all. Definitely making a trip to the mall the next few days to see if I can duplicate some of the smell to warm my home.

Thanks!

Upvote 0

KeithVH

You know, we just did the 10th-18th at Hawaii and I was doing OK on withdrawal symptoms until I read this post.

Thanks for nothing everyone . . .:cry:

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom