Ticket Price Increase?

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
The 14 day ticket in the UK is currently £60 higher than in 08, now some of that will be exchange rate based. However it hasnt gone down despite the £ recovering some of the lost ground on the $$$.

And funnily enough free dining for this year and 2010 is tied to purcahsing tickets from Disney direct.

But hey bonuses still need paying.

bgraham34

Yeah while I am not surprised they are raising their prices but during these hard times I think its a bad move. I am not asking them to lower their prices but keep them steady.

lentesta

Premium Member
Disney recent policy is to raise ticket prices around this time of year. The best explanation for why they're doing so during a recession is that people did not cut back trips to WDW as much as they cut back food and merchandise purchases once they got there. (Attendance, for example, was roughly the same through the first quarter of 2009 as it was in 2008, while merchandise and food sales dropped much more.)

Disney's first goal as a corporation is to make money for shareholders. (It has other goals, of course, including things like being good corporate citizens and these occasionally conflict.) Knowing that, and knowing that demand for theme park admission is still relatively strong, the rational thing to do is raise ticket prices.

One interesting question is by how much Disney plans to raise prices. Any increase will certainly generate negative press, but my sense is that if they keep it to single digits, attention will fade after everyone's vented.

The other interesting question is whether there is a price at which Disney alienates its strong fan base. If Disney's looking at the short term, then they don't really care whether the 70 million people visiting WDW parks are made up of 20 million annual visitors and 50 million once-every-decade visitors, or 50 million annual and 20 million once-a-decade people. It's all the same amount of revenue for them. (Put another way: Disney is in the enviable position of not having to care a whit whether you personally dislike the prices; Disney sees that someone else will take your place in line if you don't go. They can only push that so far, however.)

If prices get raised to the point where half the annual visitors decide that they can't afford to go quite so often, then they're down 10 million annual visitors. They have to make up the difference by convincing people who would otherwise stay home, or go to Paris, London or New York, to come to WDW instead. That is exceedingly more difficult than keeping your existing base of 20 million loyalists happy. This is why Disney needs to keep its fan base "not PO'd," if not happy.

Now, the cost of WDW admission is one of the largest budget items in a trip - if you're a typical family staying offsite or in a value resort for a week, the only thing more expensive than admission might be airfare.

That being said, suppose Disney raised ticket prices by $10 per day. The average WDW trip is 4 to 5 days, so that's an incremental cost of $160 to $200 for a family of four. My gut tells me that most people wouldn't cancel their trips over that; they'd either drive, cut back on sit-down restaurants, or downgrade their hotel. And there's a whole bunch of people (me included) that could probably rationalize a larger price increase simply by switching to an annual pass. (I already have one.)

If I had to make a prediction, I'd say that Disney will make modest single-digit percentage increases to its one-day passes, so that it will avoid most of the negative publicity. It will make more substantial, double-digit percentage increases to its multi-day passes, especially those in the 3 to 7 day range, and probably increase more for kids than for adults. Those are easier costs to hide and/or justify.

Just a thought.

Len

Missing20K

If attendance is roughly the same as last year, but in park spending on merchandise and food is down significantly, wouldn't it make more sense to keep the admission prices the same, and discount the merchandise and food? :shrug:

I understand increasing the admission price because the demand is still there, but if the problem is with in park spending, increasing admission prices won't get people to spend more money in the parks. If anything, it would have the opposite effect. If everyone has to spend $5 more to get in the park, that's $5 less they have to buy food, or plush dolls.

EPCOT Explorer

Maybe I'm reading too much into this, but here's my take. Disney is discounting packages heavily right now, but we all know that's temporary. Raising ticket prices now can be offset by a slightly higher discount, so the effect is somewhat masked. As soon as spending trends back to normal and the discounts go away, bam, Disney is sitting there with higher ticket prices as "normal" prices.

Or, they've decided their attendance numbers are fine and feel they can justify the increased price.

Yes, but what of the guests (like myself) that don't stay on site, and just visit for a day to two. Most guests belong to this demographic and are getting hurt my this increase.:shrug:

Atomicmickey

Disney recent policy is to raise ticket prices around this time of year. The best explanation for why they're doing so during a recession is that people did not cut back trips to WDW as much as they cut back food and merchandise purchases once they got there.

(snip)

If I had to make a prediction, I'd say that Disney will make modest single-digit percentage increases Those are easier costs to hide and/or justify.

Just a thought.

Len

Wow, I finished reading this well reasoned and thoughtful message,
and then realized "hey, it's Len Testa".

That makes it also a well-informed post. Thanks, Len. Love the guide
and the podcast. *ding!*

OH...any inside info on whether there's going to be buy 4, get three free in the fall? That should be/could be coming soon, I'd think.

DisneyJoe

If attendance is roughly the same as last year, but in park spending on merchandise and food is down significantly, wouldn't it make more sense to keep the admission prices the same, and discount the merchandise and food?

They ARE discounting the merchandise!!! and for most of August and September, food is free for many!

hwdelien

Maybe I'm reading too much into this, but here's my take. Disney is discounting packages heavily right now, but we all know that's temporary. Raising ticket prices now can be offset by a slightly higher discount, so the effect is somewhat masked. As soon as spending trends back to normal and the discounts go away, bam, Disney is sitting there with higher ticket prices as "normal" prices.

That only works under the assumption that the vast majority of guests walking through the gates are staying on property. I would guess that that number is below 50%.

lentesta

Premium Member
If attendance is roughly the same as last year, but in park spending on merchandise and food is down significantly, wouldn't it make more sense to keep the admission prices the same, and discount the merchandise and food? :shrug:

Interesting question. The answer is no. Based on past experience, Disney knows that people will still go to WDW regardless of ticket price (within certain ranges). And they know that because they've kept their prices high in a recession and attendance has not yet dropped. (Demand for WDW tickets, then, might be relatively inelastic.)

What Disney don't know is whether people will be more likely to buy food and merchandise at lower prices. It could be that in the current economy, people won't buy dinners and plush even if Disney discounted them 20%. (Or that they won't buy enough more of them to make up for the price cuts.)

Faced with one thing being more certain than the other, the less risky move is to go with the ticket price increase.

Again, YMMV.

jakeman

I think it would be very interesting to see what the average guest pays per day of admission within the Magic Your Way pricing structure and how that compares to ticket price averages in the past.

I know the one day pass is always the shocker with the ticket price, but I think we tend to forget that families staying 5-10 days are only paying $15-$30 a day to get in (those are numbers totally off the top of my head).

DougK

I think it would be very interesting to see what the average guest pays per day of admission within the Magic Your Way pricing structure and how that compares to ticket price averages in the past.

I know the one day pass is always the shocker with the ticket price, but I think we tend to forget that families staying 5-10 days are only paying $15-$30 a day to get in (those are numbers totally off the top of my head).

It's more than that, but less than the one day price so it is still a good point you are making. The vast majority of park guests do not pay the full daily price.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom