Soarin' vs. Food Rocks

DisneyAnole

It still wouldn't really fit the pavillion, but it would still fit in with Epcot better, because of WS.

I guess SE is somewhat "international" although it's more world history than world geography. But since SE is the park's icon, it's fitting that it kinda combines the themes of FW and WS.

DisneyAnole

Agreed! And my reaction to Soarin' Around the World -

Nooooooooooooooooo

:lol:

Soarin' hasn't been around long enough to update the film! I need to ride it at least 100 more times. It's a great film. Besides, I don't think there has been a successful transatlantic hang gliding expedition.

You also can't hang glide 500 miles in 5 minutes. It's Disney magic, ya know? :animwink:

Mouseketeer09

I know exactly how you feel. My family loved Food Rocks and still quotes it often, but we looovee Soarin', so we are kinda caught between both! :)

jedimaster1227

Circle of Life replaced Symbiosis.

Circle of Life enhanced Symbiosis. Parts of the original film were used when creating the new Lion King based film.

I also regard the removal of Food Rocks as a necessary but unnecessary loss (as strange as that sounds). I myself have fond memories of loving Food Rocks (and watching videos or listening to its music from the show still brings back those memories) and I always remember hating Circle of Life. I love Soarin' and believe it was a completely necessary addition, but I always felt that a relocation of Food Rocks to the Symbiosis Theater would have been wise, considering the low attendance rate for the attraction as is. Thats just my view on the whole situation.

Food Rocks was a great show, with a good message portrayed in a classy and fun way, but the time came when it's place could be put to better use. I just wish they could have put the Symbiosis Theater to better use...

DisneyAnole

Circle of Life enhanced Symbiosis. Parts of the original film were used when creating the new Lion King based film.

Food Rocks was a great show, with a good message portrayed in a classy and fun way, but the time came when it's place could be put to better use. I just wish they could have put the Symbiosis Theater to better use...

But you have to admit the AAs in Food Rocks were...poor. Most of them were cardboard cut-outs and just looked super-cheap. Why they replaced the appealing AAs in Kitchen Kabaret for the ones in Food Rocks is a mystery to me. Although, admittedly, Bonnie Appetit in KK looked a little like a possessed doll. Rest of the characters looked good.

As much as I love Soarin', and believe me, I do, part of me will always love Food Rocks. One thing that can never be taken away from me is that I was the last person to ever see it. I was the last person in the last show to walk out the doors. I was also the last person to leave Alien Encounter in the same fashion. Two honorary WDW titles that belong to me.

DisneyAnole

As much as I love Soarin', and believe me, I do, part of me will always love Food Rocks. One thing that can never be taken away from me is that I was the last person to ever see it. I was the last person in the last show to walk out the doors. I was also the last person to leave Alien Encounter in the same fashion. Two honorary WDW titles that belong to me.

Were you a CM when Food Rocks closed? I thought the last show was a CM-only show. But maybe you meant you were the last guest to leave the theater...

Scooter

I prefered Food Rocks over Kitchen Kaberet because of the music. Food Rocks had some pretty hilarious parodies of some memorable songs from the 60's and 70's, while that Veggie Veggie Fruit Fruit song in KK just anoyingly stuck in your head like the Small World song.

Having said that I should add that I prefer the Soarin attraction over both of them. While I have ridden Soarin many times since it opened and still Love it, after seeing KK and Food rocks 2 or 3 times each, I had had enough of both of them.

CThaddeus

Food Rocks! was a much more satisfying experience than Soarin' ever has been. I've been on Soarin' Over California many times at DCA and twice at Epcot, and while I think the soundtrack is quite beautiful, and Patrick Warburton is funny as usual, I've always been extremely underwhelmed by the attraction itself. As mentioned, it's just an IMAX movie that you're lifted up to watch. Ooo. Aaaah. I'm afraid I just don't get the fascination with it, nor do I understand the long lines for it.
Food Rocks!, however, had catchy songs, an entertaining show, and it actually related to the theme of the building - good nutrition through foods created by the land. Yes, many of the audio-animatronics were of the limited movement type, but I found the show so enjoyable I was willing to overlook it. I also just assumed it was a stylistic choice.
Someone else mentioned removing "Circle of Life" for Food Rocks! I hope not. I find "Circle of Life" even more enjoyable than Food Rocks! Personally, I'd like to see both coexist in the same building again. I'd give Soarin' its own entrance between Imagination and The Land, and call it the Air Pavilion (then you'd have Land, Sea, and Air all in a row). They could even tack on another air-related attraction with it. Then, I'd bring back Food Rocks!, updating it with some new songs from the '90s and '00s. This time, I'd attempt to get the actual artists to sing the songs, and perhaps even rotate some songs/AAs out from time to time. Keep it fresh, keep it healthy, keep it fun. But, above all, get Soarin' out of The Land.
Flame away.

Fun2BFree

Food Rocks! was a much more satisfying experience than Soarin' ever has been. I've been on Soarin' Over California many times at DCA and twice at Epcot, and while I think the soundtrack is quite beautiful, and Patrick Warburton is funny as usual, I've always been extremely underwhelmed by the attraction itself. As mentioned, it's just an IMAX movie that you're lifted up to watch. Ooo. Aaaah. I'm afraid I just don't get the fascination with it, nor do I understand the long lines for it.
Food Rocks!, however, had catchy songs, an entertaining show, and it actually related to the theme of the building - good nutrition through foods created by the land. Yes, many of the audio-animatronics were of the limited movement type, but I found the show so enjoyable I was willing to overlook it. I also just assumed it was a stylistic choice.
Someone else mentioned removing "Circle of Life" for Food Rocks! I hope not. I find "Circle of Life" even more enjoyable than Food Rocks! Personally, I'd like to see both coexist in the same building again. I'd give Soarin' its own entrance between Imagination and The Land, and call it the Air Pavilion (then you'd have Land, Sea, and Air all in a row). They could even tack on another air-related attraction with it. Then, I'd bring back Food Rocks!, updating it with some new songs from the '90s and '00s. This time, I'd attempt to get the actual artists to sing the songs, and perhaps even rotate some songs/AAs out from time to time. Keep it fresh, keep it healthy, keep it fun. But, above all, get Soarin' out of The Land.
Flame away.

Dreamflight 2.0 anyone?

DisneyAnole

Flame away.

I agree with everything you wrote except about the AAs in Food Rocks. Maybe they were a stylistic choice, but why on earth would you try to underwhelm the guest in a show that was obviously supposed to look like an impressive rock concert? There was just too much of a gapi in quality between the AAs in Food Rocks versus Kitchen Kabaret.

However, I completely agree with your assessment that Soarin' is wildly overrated. It truly is a 5 minute IMAX film. I just don't get why people are so mesmerized by it. It doesn't seem especially magical...you can clearly see the ride's mechanics. Yet it's so popular. Oh well, with all the people there, I can ride M:S more times! :hurl:

jedimaster1227

But you have to admit the AAs in Food Rocks were...poor. Most of them were cardboard cut-outs and just looked super-cheap. Why they replaced the appealing AAs in Kitchen Kabaret for the ones in Food Rocks is a mystery to me. Although, admittedly, Bonnie Appetit in KK looked a little like a possessed doll. Rest of the characters looked good.

True, but something about the show really stuck with me when I was younger. At that age, I didn't really look into the authenticity of the figures, so it suited my tastes just fine- though I'm sure I would be more critical of the show if it were here to this date.

DisneyAnole

True, but something about the show really stuck with me when I was younger. At that age, I didn't really look into the authenticity of the figures, so it suited my tastes just fine- though I'm sure I would be more critical of the show if it were here to this date.

Good point, I probably preferred KK because I saw it when I was little.

Sam Eagle 1776

Original Poster
I knew this thread had potential to raise some havoc, while never saying that Food Rocks is superior to Soarin', I'm glad that many of you share my opinions.

I wouldn't call Soarin' the "replacement ride" for Food Rocks. That makes it sound like Soarin' was built within the confines of the area that Food Rocks existed in - but uh.. Soarin' is a slightly bigger attraction and takes up the space where Food Rocks was and tons more. I also feel you're kinda comparing apples to oranges here. They're very different experiences.

Wow I had never heard (until now) people referring to Soarin' as "overrated." I've always loved it and never tire of it. I will say this... it makes a HUGE difference where you sit folks. If you aren't sitting in Bravo 1, the experience isn't half as good imho.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom