Taking The Kids Out of School

rileyspaw

I've noticed that many families plan their vacations at all times of the year not just in the summer when most kids are out of school. As a retired school teacher I was simply wondering if anyone has ever faced any negative feedback from their school district when asking to take your child out of school for an extended period of time?

wcj1968

So why exactly should the teachers go out of their way to compile a special packet of work so that you can take a "cheap" Disney vacation. Do you offer to pay them for their time or is it just expected??? The fact that this discussion even exist is testament to the Low ranking our educational system receives when compared to other industrialized countries.

Upvote 0
I live in MA. I dont have any kids and i didnt go to school here but my b/f did and im almost positive the rules werent that strict at his school. as a matter of fact his sister is missing school next week for a disney trip.

My parents traveled for work every year the first two weeks of school and then later in the school year and would take us (but they didnt have a choice) we were never too much behind because there isnt much learning the first two week but before we went away we would visit the school and the teachers so we were prepared. In the middle of the year we always took the work on the plane with us and down time on vacation did school work. We were never behind and it was great to be away.

Upvote 0

LaughingGravy

So why exactly should the teachers go out of their way to compile a special packet of work so that you can take a "cheap" Disney vacation. Do you offer to pay them for their time or is it just expected??? The fact that this discussion even exist is testament to the Low ranking our edcational system receives when compared to other industrialized countries.

The spelling, grammar and punctuation above is what points to the cause of any low ranking of our educational system.
Yes, this is an internet forum, but did you know you can go back and edit your own posts?

Now, in response to the points and (ahem)"questions" posed...

Compared to the majority of the rest of the world, we have far fewer vacation days. So to take a few extra here and there in this short thing we call life should not be big deal.

Teachers here, please clarify.
For the most part, the school year is mapped out in advance from the teachers' standpoint, often down to most homework assignments, as there is approved curriculum that needs to coordinate with other classes in the same grade.
A good example of this is one set of 30 books of a particular subject that needs to be rotated among 90 kids consisting of three classes over the course of a school year.

The consensus here of those teachers and parents who have posted seems to be that if there is sufficient notice given to the teacher (in most cases a month or more), that it is not such a huge inconvenience.
I wouldn't give any teacher anything less than 4 weeks, if it could be helped. Maybe 3 weeks with a major apology if it couldn't.
I think there is a moral compass that guides someone to be a teacher in the first place.
Most teachers I've encountered are concerned more about the betterment of people than of being compensated for a little extra time that may be required for the few who take their kids out away from the standard vacation time. Most teachers are far underpaid for what is accomplished.

One post mentioned a cutesy note on a Friday asking to put all assignments for the next week in a packet that day as they would be gone the following week.
Unless for a family emergency, that is most certainly out of line with courtesy, and does not deserve to be catered to.

Upvote 0

weluvtink

My son is in second grade and we've taken him out for a week the last two years. I contact the teacher about two weeks ahead and get his assignments. So far, this has not been a problem. Once the kids hit high school we probably won't take them out.

Upvote 0

dwayneswife

So why exactly should the teachers go out of their way to compile a special packet of work so that you can take a "cheap" Disney vacation. Do you offer to pay them for their time or is it just expected??? The fact that this discussion even exist is testament to the Low ranking our edcational system receives when compared to other industrialized countries.

We have been very blessed with teachers who are willing to work with us. Wheny my husband returned from Iraq two years ago, our daughter was in the first grade and her teacher suggested to us to consider a family vacation when he returned home. We took her wise counsel, and a month after he came home we were in Disney World!

My husband is now active duty with the Army National Guard. Last summer we began to hear rumblings of rumors of another possible deployment. Before school began, we discussed with the administration that we would like to plan another family vacation during school because he may not be home next summer. They were in complete support of and agreement with us. As soon as school began and we knew who our daughter's teacher was for the year, we let her know about our plans. The week after Christmas break she gave us a packet of school work that we could work on before leaving, if we so chose. We are leaving for the World in nine days and are very excited.

We do not expect the administration to be cooperative but are very thankful that they are, and we have given lots and lots of notice each time.

Upvote 0

MouseMadness

Well, we DO bring back a spiffy little trinket for them. :lookaroun

Upvote 0

GoofyFan1

The spelling, grammar and punctuation above is what points to the cause of any low ranking of our educational system.
Yes, this is an internet forum, but did you know you can go back and edit your own posts?
1. Not really necessary.

Teachers here, please clarify.
For the most part, the school year is mapped out in advance from the teachers' standpoint, often down to most homework assignments, as there is approved curriculum that needs to coordinate with other classes in the same grade.

2. Yes there generally is a "curriculum" set by the State, especially here in NY. NO, Any good teacher may have an idea of what he or she may want to do, but a very good teacher bases what, and when, materials get taught on how the students comprehend the material presented. Set curriculum does not mean all teachers teach the same.

The consensus here of those teachers and parents who have posted seems to be that if there is sufficient notice given to the teacher (in most cases a month or more), that it is not such a huge inconvenience.
I wouldn't give any teacher anything less than 4 weeks, if it could be helped. Maybe 3 weeks with a major apology if it couldn't.
I think there is a moral compass that guides someone to be a teacher in the first place.
Most teachers I've encountered are concerned more about the betterment of people than of being compensated for a little extra time that may be required for the few who take their kids out away from the standard vacation time. Most teachers are far underpaid for what is accomplished.

3. Moral compass or not education is a two-way street. If I continue to tell students how important school is, and you tell them no, getting cheaper rates and shorter lines is more important, you make both our jobs, your child's success, harder.
As a high school Biology teacher with a State Regents exam in June along with a minimum of 1200 minutes, successful, hands-on lab requirement, it is a major inconvenience to me and my family to make-up work for students who went away on their family "emergencies" to avoid peak times.

How many of you would be in favor of teachers taking off for a week or two to avoid lines and cost? We only get to go to WDW during peak times. What if I decided that my family, and the possibility of travelling at non-peak times, was more important than your child's future?

Upvote 0

GoofyFan1

We have been very blessed with teachers who are willing to work with us. Wheny my husband returned from Iraq two years ago, our daughter was in the first grade and her teacher suggested to us to consider a family vacation when he returned home. We took her wise counsel, and a month after he came home we were in Disney World!

My husband is now active duty with the Army National Guard. Last summer we began to hear rumblings of rumors of another possible deployment. Before school began, we discussed with the administration that we would like to plan another family vacation during school because he may not be home next summer. They were in complete support of and agreement with us. As soon as school began and we knew who our daughter's teacher was for the year, we let her know about our plans. The week after Christmas break she gave us a packet of school work that we could work on before leaving, if we so chose. We are leaving for the World in nine days and are very excited.

We do not expect the administration to be cooperative but are very thankful that they are, and we have given lots and lots of notice each time.

Please thank your husband for what he does for our country. This is an exception to my rant above. Not really a family emergency, but definetly a neccessity.

Upvote 0

slappy magoo

Aside from the comments of others, I'd like to add that, if parents are involved with their children's education (as they should make effort to be), the "special packet of work" might be nothing more than a list: Read pages 82 through 120, complete exercises on page 103 and 121, show your work, etc. etc. The stuff the other students will be doing anyway, and if the teacher is caught up on his or her lesson plans, what you seem to assume is a burden might be nothing more than a cut-and-paste Word document. Certainly not all of the time, with all teachers, but still quite often. And, as I said before, IF parents are involved with their child's education, they should be in a position to help them with their homework. The problems arise when parents who decided they didn't need to learn themselves nothin' the nanosecond they graduate give theur child a note to hand to the teacher saying "please give junior his homework for next week in advance as we will be on vacation" or worse, "please excuse junior from homework and tests this week as we will be on vacation." Goes to what I was saying before about respecting education AND educators. Be involved, be concerned, and instill in your kids a love of learning and most teachers will love you & bend over backwards to keep your kids motivated and up-to-par with the class, if not taking them further.

Upvote 0

For us, the reason we are taking a vacation during the school year isn't because we are trying to be "cheap". Sometimes we have only have 2 weeks in a years time that my husband is actually in the country and home with us? Unfotunately the US Government doesn't schedule my husbands deployments around the school system's schedule. If we want a vacation together, that's the only time we may have. I think that most teachers would agree that family time is very important to a child, and if that is the only time you have available, you have to make do. We have taken our children out several times, and not just for vacation. We take them out for several days before my dh has to leave just so they can BE with their Dad whenever possible. As we are in the position that he is getting ready to leave again, we will be doing the same thing again. Of course we do let the school know and work personally with the teacher in getting the work for the time missed, and it's not because I expect them to go out of their way to do extra work, it's because they understand the situation and don't mind the fact that the children don't want to fall behind in their work.

Upvote 0

DisneyMusician2

As another NYS teacher, elementary absences can be made up much more easily than HS at the same times. That being said, if you pull your kids out of school, PLEASE do not ask for special consideration. If they have to take atest the day they get back, then they MUST TAKE THE EXAM. WITH NO MAKE-UP. Entire units can go by in a week, and I refuse to give special ground to those who were on vacation. Call it callus, but sick or emergency is one thing. If you get work to do on the vacation, then you should be caught up the day you get back. If you can't be, then pulling the kids out simply isn't the way to go. ****The military matter is a different issue altogether. Please accept my thanks for what your family does for ours****

Upvote 0

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
We tend to do off season 2 to 4 day weekend trips so when we take the kids out of school it is at the most 2 days. We are also very strict on grades. If my girls do not have their grades at a certain level they don't go on the trip. Just recently my 13 year old messed around and turned in a few assignments late and came home with an F on her progress report. She spent our annual 4 day Christmas trip at her grandmothers house and went to school. Also all school work must be done before we leave. If a test falls during a trip and the teacher will not allow a make up we reschedule the trip or they will stay home. We ask for assignments well in advance and there has only been one teacher out of many that have given us any problems whatsoever. We also ask if there is anything extra credit or special projects that our kids can do while at WDW.

Bottom line a parent should use their own judgment and follow the rules set by the school. If the school says no than that ends the discussion. If you have a straight A student a few days out won't hurt them if your child is struggling it might not be the best idea. But again it is your child not mine or anyone else's and your opinion is the only one that counts.

Upvote 0

Nemo14

We tend to do off season 2 to 4 day weekend trips so when we take the kids out of school it is at the most 2 days. We are also very strict on grades. If my girls do not have their grades at a certain level they don't go on the trip. Just recently my 13 year old messed around and turned in a few assignments late and came home with an F on her progress report. She spent our annual 4 day Christmas trip at her grandmothers house and went to school. Also all school work must be done before we leave. If a test falls during a trip and the teacher will not allow a make up we reschedule the trip or they will stay home. We ask for assignments well in advance and there has only been one teacher out of many that have given us any problems whatsoever. We also ask if there is anything extra credit or special projects that our kids can do while at WDW.

Bottom line a parent should use their own judgment and follow the rules set by the school. If the school says no than that ends the discussion. If you have a straight A student a few days out won't hurt them if your child is struggling it might not be the best idea. But again it is your child not mine or anyone else's and your opinion is the only one that counts.
Master Yoda, if all parents had your attitude, there would be no need for this discussion at all! I applaud you and your attention to your kids' education!

Upvote 0

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Master Yoda, if all parents had your attitude, there would be no need for this discussion at all! I applaud you and your attention to your kids' education!
Yeah but it is out of selfish reasons. I want my girls to grow up get great jobs and by daddy a new Dodge Viper.:lol:

Upvote 0

DisneyMusician2

I also congratulate you on your policy and your attitude. We in the teaching (and parenting) world really appreciate your follow-through!

Upvote 0

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I also congratulate you on your policy and your attitude. We in the teaching (and parenting) world really appreciate your follow-through!
And I really appreciate you teachers as well. I have always thought that you guys should get paid more than doctor's because you are responsible for future of this country and this world. The powers that be really seem short sighted on this. If teachers were paid what they are worth, which to me is no less than 6 figures, everyone would aspire to be one. Then only the cream of the crop would get the job. Sooner or later all these problems we have like crime, drug abuse, etc would go away.

But that is just my opinion.....

Upvote 0

MickeyTigg

You gotta be kidding me. We just do a crummy job of teaching our kids the basics. Britney and Jose can't do math, read or write because the curriculums are bad and don't teach it very well....not because some parents choose to take their kids to WDW for a few days.

Funny...my kids were in private schools and we took them out of school for WDW trips...we made up the work....the private schools kick the public schools butts in performance testings.

We home school the kids now...we have a trip planned for 28 days....we've been making up a little work at a time for a few weeks. It's not that hard.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom