Honeymoon-Worth it to upgrade to a Deluxe Resort?

aj_steig

Original Poster
Hi everyone!

I have a question to ask, based on everyone's personal opinion...

I am getting married in September and we are having our Honeymoon at DisneyWorld :)

We were wanting to stay at the Port Orleans Riverside (because we wanted to keep hotel costs down since we won't be there all that much anyway and wanted to allocate the money to more expensive dinners and shows), but now I am thinking of splurging and booking at the Polynesian (even though it is twice as much!)

Based on past experiences, do you think it would be worth it to upgrade to the Polynesian? I have heard wonderful things about Riverside, but the Polynesian looks fantastic as well.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated (and sorry if it sounds like a silly question!) I know it's our honeymoon and we should go all out, but it's expensive and we were not sure if it was worth it or not :)

Have a good night! :wave:

tigsmom

The Polynesian is a beautiful resort, but pricey. Why not start at POR and spend the last night or two at the Polynesian? The CMs will transfer your things over for you while you visit the parks. You can plan this as a surprise and make some brownie points. :lol:

Don't forget to let them know its your honeymoon when you make your reservations and ADRs.

Congratulations! :wave:

KHockett

Congratulations!! That is awesome to spend your honeymoon at WDW. I have been to WDW a number of times and I would say while the Poly is amazing - I would go to Port Orleans Riverside or even the French Quarter - the FQ is especially romantic, and if you save some money on the hotel, you could use it on other things - like a dinner at the California grill, the Yachtsman steakhouse, or other cool stuff to do - maybe a backstage safari, a carriage ride, Cirque de Solei (sp) etc. I just think that the moderates are really nice and there are other expenses while you are there that can make the vacation amazing - especially food. If you spend too much on the hotel you might have to cut back on other areas. We have stayed at both moderate and delux hotels and location was the big difference - my husband even likes the French Quarter the best of everywhere we have stayed. You could also stay the Poly for 2 nights at the end of your stay and start out in the moderate - that way you would have the best of both experiences and keep within a budget. Have a great time!!!!

dflye

It really depends upon whether you plan to spend most of your time away from your resort or not.

If you are a home-body that wants to kick back and relax at your resort, go all out for the upgrade to a luxury resort, especially one on the main loop to the MK.

If you are going to spend all your time out and about, and only crash in the room (or for some wedded bliss), just stick with the cheap room, and spend the difference dining out or getting souvenirs.

Ashitaka

Not a silly question at all.

If you could easily afford it, then of course you should upgrade. But if you, like most of us can't afford to, you do have to consider your options. I think you are on the right track. How much time do the two of you expect to stay at the resort? If not a whole lot, perhaps you should resist that romantic urge to go all out and just stick with Port Orleans Riverside (or French Quarter, which is my favorite moderate resort). They are great resorts after all and the money you save will allow you to do other things like great meals.

If you do think you'll spend a day or two just relaxing at your resort, then maybe it is worth it to upgrade.

How many days overall will your honeymoon at WDW be? Maybe you could consider splitting the trip up into two resorts. A romantic couple of nights at the Poly and the rest at the more affordable Riverside. Best of both worlds.

However you do it you'll have a great time. You're at DisneyWorld on your Honeymoon! Doesn't get any better than that!

KeithVH

For a romantic getaway-type place, the Poly cannot be beat. But, as stated earlier, it's partially a state of mind. If you enjoy being on the hotel grounds just for the experience and don't have to cram every minute into a park adventure, I would definitely suggest spending the money. Once it's done, it's done. Cut corners later. Review Tikiman's site if you need more convincing.

darrin933

I would get one annual pass now since you are going to need one anyhow and when the passholder rates come out for that time the poly would probably be close to what port orleans costs without the pass holder rates

adventurelander

If you can afford it, I'd say yes definately upgrade. I stayed at Riverside in 1999, with some friends and really loved it. But for my Honeymoon in 04, we stayed at Boardwalk Villas, and it totally made the whole trip. Yes it was very pricey, but it was wonderful and most of my best memories involve that resort. I am so happy we did it. I'm sure the Poly will give you the same feeling.

DiPSU224

If you can afford it, go for it! We honeymooned for 10 days and spent 5 days at the Poly and 5 at POR. We always dreamed of honeymooning with a room at the Poly and with a little extra saving we did it for our special occasion. Instead of buying a cup of coffee each day or going out to eat one night, put the money towards getting a deluxe! Then switch over to a moderate resort half way through. Watching the fireworks on the beach and walks around the resort with the tiki torch lighting were so romantic. Make sure you visit tikiman's site devoted to the Poly. It's an amazing site.
http://tikiman2001.homestead.com/

Look into adding on the dining plan to your reservations to eat at some amazing restaurants as well!

MR. DISNEY

Congratulations you have picked the best honeymoon place in the world. I stayed at both resorts. I stayed at Poly for my honeymoon in 94. It was great. Everything was top notch. The next trip we tried save a little money and I was glad we did this on our second trip. The Poly is an attraction all to itself. They have one of the best pool and grounds on the Disney property. One of the best things we did was every night after a long day at the parks or what ever, we would get a drink at the bar and go to the beach and watch the fireworks over the castle. The walkways around the resort are lit with torches and are very romantic. So I say if you can afford it save money on the next trip.

justducky78

If you can swing it, I would definitely recommend a Deluxe. The Poly is romantic and in a great location so of course it's worth it. This is your honeymoon and the time to splurge, but even if you can't afford the entire week there, stay at a moderate and then move to the Poly. NOT the other way around!

Congratulations! :wave:

poohbear6103

I say go for the Poly. You won't regret it and if you are going in September you can get a great rate compared to other times of the year. There is no place more romantic at DisneyWorld! You'll feel like you are in Hawaii on your honeymoon. The monorail stop is a definite plus. Plus they redid the rooms now and they look fantastic! No more 1970s feel. I agree with others to look at Tikiman's site. He even gives advise as to what longhouse and rooms are best and has lots of photos. You'll really enjoy yourselves at the Poly!!!

tikiman

Well we spent our honeymoon at the Yacht Club and the Polynesian and I would have to say the location of both and what they had to offer made our Honeymoon very special. The resorts for us almost become as fun to visit as the parks. I look forward to going to WDW almost more for the resort than to go in the parks (I did say almost) so I believe a nice resort is important to the trip. That being said I would say that PO is a nice resort also. Will upgrading to the Polynesian make it that much better? That is a matter of opinion and my opinion would be yes. If you do not upgrade will you not have as good a time…I am sure you will still have a great honeymoon.

I think tigsmom gave some great advise on maybe splitting the stay and finishing out at the Polynesian.

Here is our Honeymoon trip report with photos if you are interested.

http://www.tikiman2001.homestead.com/tripjul2001.html

Aloha

Steve

Tomcat47

Sept. 2002 spent Honeymoon at Grand Floridian and it was worth every penny.
Sept. 2007 will be spending 5th anniversary at the Polynesian.
I think those two resorts are the Deluxe ones that are worth spending a honeymoon or anniversay at. They feel more romantic between the decor and atmosphere of the resorts to the white sand beaches with a dream castle off in the distance.

coltow

Though I've never stayed at Poly it has always been my dream resort. We had our honeymoon at the Wilderness Lodge and found that to be very romantic as well. At the time, for us to reserve a "honeymoon room" at WL was cheaper than a standard room at Poly.

tamibar

You have received some great advice. I have stayed @ both the Poly and PO-RS. They are both really nice. My DH and I celebrated our 10th anniv. last summer @ the Poly. It is really amazing! Are you using the dining plan? Then, your costs are upfront, not pay as you go or should I say pay as you eat. The annual passholder is a great idea. The discounts are usually around $100 per night ( depending on what season.) I agree if you split time between two resorts, stay @ PO first then move to the Poly. I've said this before the Tikimans' website is great! All you could ever need to know about the Poly. As others have said, when you do make your res. let them know it's your honeymoon! Okay' this is getting too long. Congrats!

aj_steig

Original Poster
Thanks so much for all the advice!

I think that's a great idea to split up the time between the two resorts. I didn't even know that it could be done, so that's good news to me!!

Also, I didn't even know that there was a dedicated site to the Polynesian. I will have to check that out.

One more thing, does anyone think it would be worth it to add on the dining plan during the stay? My fiance is 6'6'' (and he eats a lot!) :) . When we went last time (Jan 06) we didn't have the dining plan, but we missed on what I think could have been some great dining experiences.

Any thoughts? Thanks so much!!!:)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom