Trip Report Two broke guys & a dog (for the last time.) (completed)

No, I’m not mad at Disney. We’ll be back (in fact, it can’t be soon enough.) But this turned out to be our last trip together as a family.

Who: Brian (R) Tony (L) and Kylie.
IMG_2010.jpeg

When: May, 2023.

Can’t tease this, so I’ll just come out with it.

We’ve posted TRs over the years under the “Two broke guys & a dog” banner (and other titles.) Our May trip was short, and we had already booked August for my birthday (complete with a planned meet up with @Tuvalu) so I thought I’d make one double TR after August.

I ended up with Covid mid-month and we had to postpone to December for Brian’s birthday.

In the meantime, Kylie, our 14 year old German Shepherd/Chow Chow was diagnosed with heart failure. That “heads up” turned out to be a gift and a blessing that allowed us to spend so much extra quality time with her.

Kylie’s 14th bday on Halloween:
IMG_1696.jpeg
She stayed with us through the holidays, rubbing on the Christmas tree when she walked past it, per usual (like a cat lol) and was really doing well - eating, going for walks, snuggling. I expected more of a slow, gradual decline…but she passed yesterday. Now my heart is failing.

I don’t know how far I’ll get with this today. It might actually be too soon. But I thought it could be therapeutic, and a nice tribute.

For some reason, since my 30s, if I cry even a little, my eyelids swell up and it’s hard to undo. Ice helps only temporarily. I fear typing all this out will continue the waterworks (it already has) and prolong that condition. OTOH, they’re already swollen, so WTH? I’ll play it by ear, if that’s ok.

This is my love letter to my pup.
IMG_2361.jpeg

Tony the Tigger

Original Poster
IMG_3633.jpeg

First time in the “Broadway” section of ASM.

IMG_3634.jpeg

Almost went here, but plans were changed.

IMG_3635.jpeg

$850!! 🤷🏻‍♂️

IMG_3636.jpeg

That’s Gwyn. We worked together years ago. She was very motherly when my Dad died in the early 90’s. We hung out at Boathouse while her fam stayed at the Lego store. Her niece (CM) offered me a pass for tomorrow, but she was blocked out, too!

IMG_3645.jpeg
IMG_3647.jpeg

Oh, yes, my banana gelato. (Remember the cruise? Every day!🤣) and it’s frickin’ freezing out - but it’s banana. 🍌

IMG_3646.jpeg

Self explanatory and sacrilegious to Italians. I bet they put pineapple on pizza, too (making it officially not pizza anymore.) 😉

IMG_3648.jpeg

I forget the name, but this was a bourbon with fresh blueberry purée. 😋 (drink #3) ETA: this is at Chef Art Smith’s.

IMG_3652.jpeg

That’s cauliflower. And I got a chicken salad sandwich to go because I couldn’t eat another bite, and there was somehow no pork sandwich on the menu. (???)

I could/would have done a lot more poking around but
IMG_3656.jpeg

It’s frickin’ cold. (That’s down to 57 already. Please kill me.) @MinnieM123

What to do tomorrow?

Last edited:

fractal

True confession: while Brian was in the shower, I ate another beignet. (So I guess, out of the original 6, 2 were left. Damned beignets.🤣)

So when we arrived at AK around 12:30, I wasn’t super hungry. At B’s suggestion, we got our bug on.

View attachment 769076

We stumbled across Yak & Yeti, and hoped there were seats at the bar.

“Come with me, and you’ll see, a world of pure imagination….”

There was one seat at the bar. I stood in front of it and B stood behind it lol. Plenty of seating for everyone!

Before entering, I checked the D3 (Disney Day Drinkers) FB page for the secret password (which only works at Y&Y, and only at the bar.)

When the bartender greeted us, I said the secret words.

“Secret secret - I’ve got a secret!”

No, those aren’t the secret words. I just started singing Mr. Roboto in my head.

The mixologist showed me a QR code, which took me to the secret D3 drink menu. (Oooooh!)

View attachment 769081

The couple next to us helped us access the menu (there’s an extra not so intuitive click required) so we knew they were members also.

There were several drinks on the menu, but most seemed a little on the sweet side, so B played it safe with a Jack & Diet.

I went a little more fancy:

View attachment 769078

View attachment 769082

I don’t know if I’m supposed to show you that, but I just did. This drink was fab.

View attachment 769080

At this hour, it didn’t make sense to order full meals. Our dinner was at 5. We ordered egg rolls, which were exceptional IMO, and chatted up the couple next to us. They were from Atlanta (where Brian lived for a few years) and the guy’s Italian family were up in Jersey. Too funny. Per usual, we had a great time with them, just hanging out.

I ordered another round and some lettuce cups with chicken. They were good, but we preferred the simple eating style of the eggrolls (not to mention the eggrolls were more filling at $13 than the lettuce cups at $20. I know, duh lol. It’s lettuce.)

Our Atlanta friends moved along, and another group came in. We offered to move down to make room for more of them and were on the fence as to whether or not to stay. Then one of the guys put a phone stand on the counter and started recording or streaming to an audience. That was our cue!

As a man of a certain age, I don’t know how people do that with no sense of embarrassment whatsoever. I’d be very self-conscious about disturbing other patrons.

We said fond goodbyes and thanks to the bartender, and moved along as well.

Add that to the growing lists of firsts on our bazillionth Disney trip: arriving from home directly to a park, eating at Tony’s, staying at POFQ, having Mickey beignets, and now Y&Y.

We will definitely go back there for a real meal (probably still at the bar.) All your recommendations were spot on!

This just made me love Y&Y even more.

Tony the Tigger

Original Poster
Oops - almost abandoned this one - get ready for a photo drop like when a canceled TV show is burning off remaining episodes. 🤣

Let’s see what the pics reveal.

First off, I want to say this was my first Mears experience, and it was fine. Very, very similar to the Magical Express. Way cheaper than an Uber (for one person) albeit slower. I don’t know what everyone complains about.

Went back to ASM. Tried to duplicate an earlier pic I like, but meh. Couldn’t get it right.

IMG_3657.jpeg
IMG_3659.jpeg
IMG_3660.jpeg
IMG_3661.jpeg

Got into that chicken salad sammy.
IMG_3662.jpeg

Honestly, it needed a little flavor. Well, some dressing was included. That helped!

Tony the Tigger

Original Poster
I relaxed a bit at ASM, and came to think of it as underrated and under appreciated! The grounds are nice, the rooms are much improved from years ago. “Value?” Yep. At least compared to the moderates.

Got a little work done, too.

IMG_3666.jpeg
IMG_3668.jpeg
IMG_3671.jpeg
IMG_3672.jpeg
IMG_3673.jpeg
IMG_3675.jpeg
IMG_3676.jpeg
IMG_3679.jpeg
IMG_3677.jpeg

What to do with no park tickets and a too early departure time for a 9pm flight?

Let’s do something different.

I sat in that little park area and chatted with Brian on the phone. I booked the G. Flo Cafe for lunch! Hadn’t eaten there in years, and wanted to see all the Easter stuff. Plus they had some kind of banana oatmeal on the menu. 😋

There was a 5pm open at Cali Grill (hello, monorail crawl!) but they wanted to pick me up at like 5:30 for my flight (Tragical style.) I called them, told them I had no bags to check, and they pushed back my time! Booked it. Seemed like a promising day. Beautiful weather.

Tony the Tigger

Original Poster
It was nice not feeling rushed and just taking it all in. Then I realized I kind of had to rush to my lunch ADR!!

I took the bus to MK, thinking it would take me to the TTC, but it actually took me to MK. Duh. So I started walking and texting Mrs. Expert @Tuvalu because I had no time to waste! Which way should I go? Walk all the way and be sweaty for lunch? Or be late?

I could see it from here!

IMG_3680.jpeg

IMG_3681.jpeg

How long is that walkway?!

IMG_3682.jpeg

Is that boat coming this way?

IMG_3683.jpeg

It is! My hero!

And now, many pointless pics of a boat ride that don’t capture how blue the sky was.

IMG_3685.jpeg
IMG_3686.jpeg
IMG_3687.jpeg
IMG_3688.jpeg
IMG_3689.jpeg
IMG_3684.jpeg

That last pic is out of order. I’m not fixing it. 😆 But wait, there’s more…

Tony the Tigger

Original Poster
IMG_3690.jpeg
IMG_3691.jpeg

I loved that boat ride. I did, however, arrive 6 minutes late.

The Cafe’ ran over 40 minutes late!!

They said they didn’t have enough staff to clear the tables (it was nearing the end of the lunch shift.) That was a bummer. But I thoroughly enjoyed both the cocktail and the meal!

IMG_3693.jpeg
IMG_3694.jpeg
IMG_3695.jpeg
IMG_3696.jpeg

Eggs Benedict with pulled pork? Hello!!

As you can see, it was pretty empty, making the wait a little more annoying.

My server was a doll. This lunch exceeded expectations.

IMG_3697.jpeg
IMG_3699.jpeg

Disstevefan1

I relaxed a bit at ASM, and came to think of it as underrated and under appreciated! The grounds are nice, the rooms are much improved from years ago. “Value?” Yep. At least compared to the moderates.

Got a little work done, too.

View attachment 783772View attachment 783773View attachment 783774View attachment 783775View attachment 783776View attachment 783777View attachment 783778View attachment 783779View attachment 783780

What to do with no park tickets and a too early departure time for a 9pm flight?

Let’s do something different.

I sat in that little park area and chatted with Brian on the phone. I booked the G. Flo Cafe for lunch! Hadn’t eaten there in years, and wanted to see all the Easter stuff. Plus they had some kind of banana oatmeal on the menu. 😋

There was a 5pm open at Cali Grill (hello, monorail crawl!) but they wanted to pick me up at like 5:30 for my flight (Tragical style.) I called them, told them I had no bags to check, and they pushed back my time! Booked it. Seemed like a promising day. Beautiful weather.
Excellent report! You make me WANT TO stay at ASM!!!! 👍

Tony the Tigger

Original Poster
And on my way to the Contemporary.

IMG_3738.jpeg

Had some time to kill. A little shopping.

IMG_3740.jpeg
IMG_3741.jpeg
IMG_3742.jpeg
IMG_3743.jpeg

Some Pride stuff.

IMG_3744.jpeg
IMG_3745.jpeg

Loving the Ewok set. Wicket!

IMG_3746.jpeg

Don’t know why I didn’t take a pic, but I was very happy to find the Mickey Pride Christmas ornament I’d meant to get on a previous trip, and then couldn’t find anywhere. 😀

And if you’ve read this whole TR, you know what this pic means. I rearranged some plushies and texted it to Brian.

IMG_3747.jpeg

Tony the Tigger

Original Poster
Still a little time to kill, so I made friends with this masseuse. Three times.

IMG_3749.jpeg
IMG_3751.jpeg

That was wonderful. Even inside an arcade. 😆

I made my way to the Cali Grill entrance and charged my phone while I waited. I hoped it was ok to sit at the bar even though I had a table reservation.

When I was checked in, the hostess asked if I’d like to sit at the bar. Perfect! (Get those thoughts out of my head that she thinks I’m a lonely old man who would be awkward sitting at a table by himself!)

I was surprised how many others joined me at the bar. (Get those thoughts out of my head that I’m a trendsetter and everyone wanted to sit with me!)

I decided to pass on the signature cocktail.

IMG_3752.jpeg

Even though 138 is my birthday backwards, I thought ordering that drink was backwards. And I was out of points again! (It sucks to be poor! 😉)

93boomer

Still a little time to kill, so I made friends with this masseuse. Three times.

View attachment 783850View attachment 783851

That was wonderful. Even inside an arcade. 😆

I made my way to the Cali Grill entrance and charged my phone while I waited. I hoped it was ok to sit at the bar even though I had a table reservation.

When I was checked in, the hostess asked if I’d like to sit at the bar. Perfect! (Get those thoughts out of my head that she thinks I’m a lonely old man who would be awkward sitting at a table by himself!)

I was surprised how many others joined me at the bar. (Get those thoughts out of my head that I’m a trendsetter and everyone wanted to sit with me!)

I decided to pass on the signature cocktail.

View attachment 783852

Even though 138 is my birthday backwards, I thought ordering that drink was backwards. And I was out of points again! (It sucks to be poor! 😉)
Smart to pass on that drink! Wow that’s crazy!!

Tony the Tigger

Original Poster
Now, as you know, CG is prix fixe (I always have to double check where the “e” goes 😆) the rules (and menu) are different at the bar!

Yes, you may order the standard prix fixe dinner. Or..you may use the special menu.

Ooooooooh!

IMG_3754.jpeg

It’s mostly the apps from the main menu. Plus.

A certain someone I had been texting turned me into a spy, texting that special menu so he or she could decide whether to sit at the bar on one of her…er, or his many trips to California Grill. 😉😉

I started with A Little Whistle.

IMG_3753.jpeg

IMG_3755.jpeg

Anything with basil, I’m good. 💕

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom