News Star Wars Galactic Starcruiser coming to Walt Disney World 2021

TP2000

tumblr_mmw7htXf2f1sqd58qo2_500.gif

We've been discussing Mr. D'Amaro over in the Disneyland threads lately. He really does seem to be another clueless dolt like Chapek or Rasulo, but this time just better looking, more personable, and with a winning Pepsodent smile.

This latest CNBC interview with him backs up that creeping realization, doesn't it?

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
We've been discussing Mr. D'Amaro over in the Disneyland threads lately. He really does seem to be another clueless dolt like Chapek or Rasulo, but this time just better looking, more personable, and with a winning Pepsodent smile.

This latest CNBC interview with him backs up that creeping realization, doesn't it?
Honestly, he is usually the one I am okay with...usually...

Smiley/OCD

Josh D'Amaro just went on CNBC this weekend to explain that the reason Galactic Starcruiser was a giant failure was because the customers simply didn't understand it. We were all simply too stupid to understand their vision and their brilliance with the Galactic Starcruiser.

“It was difficult to explain to the public. I think it was incredibly brave for us to move into this space. And this, to me, says Imagineering is still at its best today.” - Josh D'Amaro discussing Galactic Starcruiser on CNBC, April 7th 2024

If only we understood it all. If only we listened to them, and rewatched the marketing videos with Ann Morrow and that young man from The Goldbergs several more times, we could have understood their brilliance and Imagineering prowess.

It's not them, it's us. We're the problem. Let's just hope that Mr. D'Amaro and the WDI team gives us all a second chance to redeem ourselves. Can all of us lifelong Disney fans please commit to trying harder? We owe it to them, apparently. 🤔

Wait a minute…I thought we were the magic…now we’re the problem?? Hmmm…

rd805

Before his promotion, he really seemed like a positive influence for the brand. Since then, he just seems a little too corporate; although, the issues I have with the parks don't really seem like it would be his fault. I want new attractions, built faster than Disney typically does. I don't think he makes those calls.

Magicart87

HOUSE OF MAGIC Member
Premium Member
Price sets expectations that the experience will be premium. It wasn't. JoshIBoi can suggest the fans "didn't get it" but no matter how you slice it Disney is still at fault because they poorly marketed the product and under delivered.

TP2000

Honestly, he is usually the one I am okay with...usually...

He needs to go into D23 Expo this summer in Anaheim with guns blazing and bulldozers roaring and make it rain on high quality projects that are shovel ready. No more vague concept art for blue sky ideas that "may" or "might" be "considered" for an American park in "the future".

This interview with CNBC where he blames the customers for his own market failures isn't a good sign that he gets that.

Prove me wrong Mr. D'Amaro, or else just double down and tell us again that we're the problem and we just need to do more homework to understand your team's brilliant Parks concepts.

tissandtully

Josh D'Amaro just went on CNBC this weekend to explain that the reason Galactic Starcruiser was a giant failure was because the customers simply didn't understand it. We were all simply too stupid to understand their vision and their brilliance with the Galactic Starcruiser.

“It was difficult to explain to the public. I think it was incredibly brave for us to move into this space. And this, to me, says Imagineering is still at its best today.” - Josh D'Amaro discussing Galactic Starcruiser on CNBC, April 7th 2024

If only we understood it all. If only we listened to them, and rewatched the marketing videos with Ann Morrow and that young man from The Goldbergs several more times, we could have understood their brilliance and Imagineering prowess.

It's not them, it's us. We're the problem. Let's just hope that Mr. D'Amaro and the WDI team gives us all a second chance to redeem ourselves. Can all of us lifelong Disney fans please commit to trying harder? We owe it to them, apparently. 🤔

He's not wrong, Imagineering swung for the fences for an immersive environment and the public didn't want to spend what that costs to do. Which means we'll never see anything like it again.

TP2000

He's not wrong, Imagineering swung for the fences for an immersive environment and the public didn't want to spend what that costs to do. Which means we'll never see anything like it again.

The original artwork and concept idea swung for the fences, I agree with that. With even a nod to me at the bar with a martini in my hand.

star-wars-galactic-starcruiser-hotel-lobby-concept-art-1.jpg

star-wars-galactic-starcruiser-hotel-restaurant-concept-art-1-1536x1024.jpg

But then the reality was far less an over the fence home run, than it was a modest bunt and a single.

WDW-Starcruiser-Food-Crown-of-Corellia-Dining-Room-1024x536.jpg

These people in the dining room clearly didn't watch the marketing videos with Ann Morrow enough to understand the sheer brilliance of this product. They didn't do their homework! Disney fans, try harder to love the product please. ;)

AmishGuy91

Never seen a worse take on the Starcruiser than this. It was absolutely a premium product, not sure what you are on about.

Yup. Anyone that actually went on it understood it really wasn’t overpriced. Obviously Disney isn’t a nonprofit so they have to make money on it. But there def wasn’t much room to cut costs and still deliver the profit needed for a project that size.

Disstevefan1

JoshStarCruiser.jpg

pdude81

More rehashing of the same junk spewed last year. He's right that you don't understand it. Now that isn't the only reason it closed, but he's never doing into a deep dive on failure in an interview.

Remember, as soon as they announced it was closing and people couldn't wait until they saved up enough money, it sold out with no more discounts until closure.

He has said before there are plans to do something with this space in the future, and it seems that he was telling the truth.

Vegas Disney Fan

Cool. Just like how we were all too stupid to understand Lightyear.

No dumb ideas, just dumb audiences, apparently.
I was going to make a similar comment, sounds like he’s been talking to the motion picture side of the company, they blamed the audience for their failures also.

Imagine the arrogance required to blame the customers when the product you design fails.

Ghost93

I agree with D'marro that the concept showed an ambitious side of Imagineering and some innovative ideas. I disagree that the problem was the public not getting the concept. The problem was that it was just waaaay too expensive for the average guest who isn't a die-hard Star Wars nerd. I think a lot of the concepts for Galatic Starcruiser would have been better suited for a Galaxy's Edge expansion.

fgmnt

The original artwork and concept idea swung for the fences, I agree with that. With even a nod to me at the bar with a martini in my hand.

star-wars-galactic-starcruiser-hotel-lobby-concept-art-1.jpg

star-wars-galactic-starcruiser-hotel-restaurant-concept-art-1-1536x1024.jpg

But then the reality was far less an over the fence home run, than it was a modest bunt and a single.

WDW-Starcruiser-Food-Crown-of-Corellia-Dining-Room-1024x536.jpg

These people in the dining room clearly didn't watch the marketing videos with Ann Morrow enough to understand the sheer brilliance of this product. They didn't do their homework! Disney fans, try harder to love the product please. ;)
That’s one of the nicest looking retirement home cafeterias I have seen in a while.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom