News Reedy Creek Improvement District and the Central Florida Tourism Oversight District

Bill in Atlanta

I do not think half of Disney's customer base are terminally online right wingers but I'm open to whatever evidence you may have that shows the contrary.
I'm as right wing as anyone on this site (see: half my posts from 2020-2021 were deleted by mods because I opposed lockdowns that much). I believe the Parents Rights in Education bill was common sense and Disney made a mistake in slamming it.

All that said, any use of state power to enact retribution on an individual or business should be fought in the courts, regardless of which political tribe is enacting said retribution.

JoeCamel

Exactly this.

But I have. Due to the uniqueness of my role and job function, for the past 7 years members of the C-suite, including CEOs, at several GINORMOUS publicly traded corporations were among my more common colleagues to interface with.

And if Disney's investment weren't nearly so big (think less WDW and more Aulani or DCL), I'm beyond certain that they'd consider divesting WDW and licensing it Tokyo Disneyland style.

But what do I know? I'm just your friendly neighborhood troll.
Or Bobby is an evil genius and he planned all this years ago so he could dump the parks business for cause. He never believed in the parks....... 10 year plan is working

Lilofan

As a non-us citizen, I am mostly just trying to understand what the heck is going on haha. I know I believe the constitution should be a living breathing thing, and cases need be looked at with nuance.

But I think everyone knows this was a violation of Disney's rights to free speech, and it's a failing of the system that they won't even get their day in court.
Rights to free speech can bite one in the rear - separate society and be subject to verbal abuse.

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
It sounded more like the judge was saying there is no circumstances that can possible exist that would produce standing short of the legislature writing Disney directly into the law.
Bring in other affected landowners and refile as a class action suit?

flynnibus

Premium Member
Reading more into it. Looks like the argument is that Disney isn't the only affected landholder but the only one that filed suit.
No - the argument is it didn't target Disney in the letter of the law as written... Disney tried to argue they were singled out, the court said 'no you weren't' because the law as written included more than Disney... And wouldn't entertain the argument beyond what was in the text itself.

Being singled out was an important exception for Hubbard... having everyone file suit doesn't trigger that exception and actually just helps the state's case that it's applied universally... so not retaliation.

Nubs70

It sounded more like the judge was saying there is no circumstances that can possible exist that would produce standing short of the legislature writing Disney directly into the law.
Logically makes sense, in that, the State of Florida took action against Reedy Creek not WDW.

Dranth

If I read this right, based on reactions.

Courts are bad when they don’t go my way.
Courts are good when they go my way.
I would say you didn't read it right if that is what you think.

How about, when courts choose to ignore intent, they limit themselves to some very strict and undesirable verdicts that open the door for massive abuse across the nation?

Figgy1

Premium Member
What worries me more is the board now takes the words cental Florida to mean every action they take(down to permits for snack stands, maintenance that requires permits............... ) has to be studied to how it will affect every business in central Florida gumming up the works even further. If Disney wants X but company Z 15 miles down the road may see 3 less visitors, Disney doesn't get approved

Last edited by a moderator:

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
What worries me more is the board now takes the words cental Florida to mean every action they take(down to permits for snack stands, maintenance that requires permits............... ) has to be studied to how it will affect every business in central Florida gumming up the works even further
I've already heard grumblings of CFTOD staffers arbitrarily shutting down elevators and escalators for "inspections" during busy times.

Figgy1

Premium Member
I've already heard grumblings of CFTOD staffers arbitrarily shutting down elevators and escalators for "inspections" during busy times.
As for the grumblings are the coftd employees doing any or just Disney ones. I smell a rat in the house of mouse

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom