News The Walt Disney Company Board of Directors Extends Robert A. Iger’s Contract as CEO Through 2026

LSLS

So you’re blaming chapek then?

Maybe

But I’ve seen most of these movies…they’re bad…almost all of them

2022 too

They are just running out branded garbage…nobody ever leaves the theater pumping a fist of heading to the store

That’s not Disney

I'm not sure exclusively I blame him, but yes, I think that decision has had a big impact. Now, for me to put it all on him, I'd have to believe that Iger on his "Retired but still in charge" tour had no say in any of that (I don't), and that the push to get as much content on D+ as fast as possible to get those subscriber numbers at record pace and make D+ look like brilliant strategy was 100% concocted by Chapek and Iger had no say (take a guess my thoughts on that).

They may not be great, but something like Marvels is not bad (not great, but not bad, just ok to me), and opening weekend being that disastrous wasn't because it was bad. Plenty of bad movies have done significantly better than a lot of the Disney movies this year. To me there has to be something else going on. Or, put another way, if Disney puts out a film that is universally praised by everyone here and around, I still don't think it's going to do huge numbers. Look at Elemental. Even though it was pretty universally praised as a good film, it didn't get some giant box office number (just squeaking out profit).

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
View attachment 756817
Alex Sherman, CNBC reporter

Also, here:

and across other various Disney fan sites that I won't link
Note that he said “it got worse” under Bob the Lesser. It started with him, just like 90% of what $lappie did.

TalkingHead

View attachment 756817
Alex Sherman, CNBC reporter

Also, here:

and across other various Disney fan sites that I won't link
The notion it got worse under Chapek whom the creatives loathed when he wasn’t vocal enough during the Florida brouhaha is pretty rich. Wonder what content specifically Iger has in mind that made this issue worse. Don’t think too hard about it because odds are he doesn’t really believe it.

JD80

A lot of these underperforming/bad movies were made during the pandemic. I believe the Marvels was filmed in 2021? Curious to see how many in house creatives that left/quit/got fired during this period impacted production/quality. Let alone the difficulties collaborating during that time period.

Trauma

I love how Bob himself can admit the problem and certain posters here still continue to spin.

Let me help you out here.

The brand is damaged.

Even if you only lose 15% of your customers that is a HUGE loss.

Box office performance would suggest that things are actually worse than that.

It’s now up to Bob to fix the problem he helped create.

Since the man is a coward and a liar I care less about his words, and will wait to see his actions.

Better yet he can just step down.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I love how Bob himself can admit the problem and certain posters here still continue to spin.

The brand is damaged.

Since the man is a coward and a liar I care less about his words, and will wait to see his actions.

Bingo…no BS

pdude81

We’re also forgetting the studios lost the battle to the writers and actors…so costs are going to go up if they shoot a single frame

And there’s a shortage of material…and the customers are indebted up to their eyes

…and there are no cats in America and the streets are paved with cheese
Ten points to Slytherin for the American Tail reference

pdude81

He didn't say there won't be any more messages. He just said the focus would be the story and not the distractions that blow up in the news. So I view this as a minor change in direction

willtravel

Anyone else surprised by Iger's comments today?

"(Our) creatives have lost sight of what their job should be: entertain first, not messages."

Seems like a surprisingly blunt way of saying their DEI mission has not been well received.
So, the "creators" never received any direction from the top? And why did it take so long to state this or change this thru his direction? Passing the buck.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
So, the "creator" never received any direction from the top? And why did it take so long to state this or change this thru his direction? Passing the buck.
That’s the lying part…it’s all top down directives coming from analysts

Kathy kennedy hasn’t been fired because she can Open her mouth once the NDA is void…

…convince me I’m wrong

Indy_UK

The brand is damaged.

Agreed. Problem is that the guy who caused the mess, isn't the guy to fix it.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
To me, it seems like Iger is sort of just acknowledging what everyone knows: that a certain subset of the audience thinks Disney has some big agenda and it's hurting the brand. I don't see how that might indicate that he's changed his thinking on anything.
…so not bobs fault? It’s really the not rich, minority of pleb fans?

What time is your shift at magic kingdom stroller rental today? 🤔

DCBaker

Premium Member
Original Poster
Adding this here in case anyone doesn't wander down to the Disney+/Movie section.

Disney has launched a new Disney+ Perks page, with a range of special discounts and offers from November 30, 2023 to January 31, 2024.

Some offers include:

Special Walt Disney World Resort Offer (available January 3, 2024)
50% off a D23 Gold Membership and access other special offers
30 free Marvel digital comics
$5 Fandango promo code to Disney's film WISH
Walmart+ Membership Offer (no available date yet)

See the full list at the link below.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom