Universal Epic Universe (South Expansion Complex) - Opens 2025

WDWFREAK53

It's not great at all. Theming is non-existent and is by far the roughest ride in the resort. Getting to pick your song is fun but it sounds like the amount of choices has been slashed significantly.

If I had to bet, I'd think we'll see a retheme of Rockit to F&F, freeing up the Supercharged plot for future development while still keeping the IP in the park.
I could see a retheme...but (no pun intended) ripping the ride out seems like a lot of work to remove an attraction especially when it gets high guest ratings.
I'd imagine F&F is the first one on the chopping block.

celluloid

I could see a retheme...but (no pun intended) ripping the ride out seems like a lot of work to remove an attraction especially when it gets high guest ratings.
I'd imagine F&F is the first one on the chopping block.

It will reach the end of its operating life in the next five to seven years.

UNCgolf

No,

Forbidden Journey is one herky-jerky ride……nothing fluid whatsoever about it. It has abrupt turns and twists delivering a disjunct performance.

If FJ were a band it would be Primus

I hated Forbidden Journey and this was part of it. Even if the rest of the experience was fantastic -- and I actually don't think it is; there are some great moments but far too much of the ride is just a boring broom flight simulation -- it's incredibly unpleasant to actually ride.

I don't have any desire to ride it again because the ride content isn't remotely good enough to make it worth dealing with the awful jerkiness.

Disneyhead'71

Ah, yes. Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey. A ride so terrible that it's success single handedly bought Transformers: The Ride 3D, Cabana Bay Beach Resort, Sapphire Falls Resort, Aventura Hotel, Volcano Bay Water Theme Park, and paved the way for Epic Universe. It has been cloned across two continents, and literally changed the theme park industry at large with the "Power of the IP".

Oh, I'm sorry, I may have gone on a bit. What was it you were saying?

Last edited:

UNCgolf

Ah, yes. Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey. A ride so terrible that it's success single handedly bought Transformers: The Ride 3D, Cabana Bay Beach Resort, Sapphire Falls Resort, Aventura Hotel, Volcano Bay Water Theme Park, and paved the way for Epic Universe. It has been cloned across two continents, and literally changed the theme park industry at large with the "Power of the IP".

Oh, I'm sorry, I may have gone on a bit. What was it you were saying?

I love comments like this because it's absolutely hilarious when people are incapable of grasping incredibly simple concepts like personal opinion.

"It was massively successful therefore everyone in the world must unanimously think it is the greatest thing ever!"

Twirlnhurl

You have to admit that it is an uncommon opinion, though.

I totally understand not liking Forbidden Journey. There are a lot of screens and it makes some people motion sick. But "herky-jerky" is definitely not how I would describe it. The motion of Forbidden Journey is very smooth--so smooth that my wife (with back problems that prevent her from riding most simulator rides) goes on it and enjoys it without pain.

The ride definitely moves the riders into unusual angles, especially around the whomping willow scene. And it definitely is not for everyone. But "herky-jerky" is not how I would describe the ride's motion.

TalkToEthan

A ride so terrible that it's success single handedly bought Transformers: The Ride 3D, Cabana Bay Beach Resort, Sapphire Falls Resort, Aventura Hotel, Volcano Bay Water Theme Park, and paved the way for Epic Universe. It has been cloned across two continents, and literally changed the theme park industry at large with the "Power of the IP".

“single handedly” ?!

Are you sure about that?

Andrew25

“single handedly” ?!

Are you sure about that?
1698757186602.png

yes

There hasn't been a single attraction/land/experience at any theme park that has generated the ridiculous growth of attendance Universal experienced in 2010.

None of the post-potter attractions/hotels/expansions were considered until the success of Hogsmeade.

Universal was in dire shape before Potter, competing against SeaWorld for the extra day or 2 guests had when visiting WDW. Now it's taking WDW head to head.

TalkToEthan

Hold on….. you, too!?!?! You’re backing up that outlandish claim.

Disneyhead is saying FJ “single handedly” did all that. And we know that is grotesque exaggeration.

It was Hogsmeade initially and followed up with Diagon with fully themed out connecting train that accounts for the far reaching success.

Last edited:

UNCgolf

You have to admit that it is an uncommon opinion, though.

I totally understand not liking Forbidden Journey. There are a lot of screens and it makes some people motion sick. But "herky-jerky" is definitely not how I would describe it. The motion of Forbidden Journey is very smooth--so smooth that my wife (with back problems that prevent her from riding most simulator rides) goes on it and enjoys it without pain.

The ride definitely moves the riders into unusual angles, especially around the whomping willow scene. And it definitely is not for everyone. But "herky-jerky" is not how I would describe the ride's motion.

I definitely agree that not loving the ride is an uncommon opinion, but I don't think the specific herky-jerky complaint is that uncommon. I've seen that complaint pretty regularly, with people saying it was worth riding despite that. One of my friends loves it but stopped riding because the tossing around actually hurt her neck. I wonder if it varies depending on refurbs, though? Like maybe sometimes it's much rougher and other times it's pretty smooth.

I certainly don't think it's a bad ride and I appreciate what they were trying to do with the combination of different ride elements. I just don't think the simulator aspect is very interesting, and the more wow moments that get away from the simulator are a minority.

To be fair, I've never been overly impressed by any simulator attraction. It's not that I dislike them -- I still enjoy riding stuff like Flight of Passage -- it's that they don't feel like headliners and I wouldn't ever wait in a long line. FJ is more than just a simulator, which I like, but the simulator part is the majority of the experience and I don't think it's anywhere near as good as, e.g. Flight of Passage just in terms of that simulator aspect.

If it was either A. a much smoother/less rough ride or B. had a more interesting simulator aspect (or even better, much less simulator in general) I'd probably like it a lot more, but the combination of the two makes it kind of a shrug attraction for me.

Last edited:

Andrew25

Hold on….. you, too!?!?! You’re backing up that outlandish claim.

Disneyhead is saying FJ “single handedly” did all that. And we know that is grotesque exaggeration.

It was Hogsmeade initially and followed up with Diagon with fully themed out connecting train that accounts for the far reaching success.
Obviously, the land helped as well, but the ride itself at the time was revolutionary and was the major draw of the land.

TalkToEthan

The Hog castle facades together far exceeds the ride itself. And the queue is even more impressive than the already near perfect exterior frontages. I bet those two attributes working together impress more people than the ride itself(as in the entire time being locked into the bench.)

I walked the queue 3 times already just to exit out after I see the sorting hat.

TalkToEthan

ride itself at the time was revolutionary

I assume you’re essentially talking about the robot style arm moving the benches, no?

If you are then I say I both agree and disagree depending on how I look at it. Employing that kuk on an anchoring attraction is revolutionary but as for the technology itself I saw it before it made its way to the opening of Hogsmeade in Orlando——-I saw it at Uni Studios Hollywood; so did 10’s of thousands of others.

999th Happy Haunt

No,

Forbidden Journey is one herky-jerky ride……nothing fluid whatsoever about it. It has abrupt turns and twists delivering a disjunct performance.

If FJ were a band it would be Primus
Forbidden Journey is intense but it is not “rough”. Every movement on that attraction is purposefully designed, much like Dinosaur which I think also gets ridiculous criticism for being “rough”. Rockit is rough, the shaking and headbanging is not intentional.

jpinkc

The ride itself is in really bad shape... but the land is a money maker. I think Universal will try everything they can to retain the merchandising/dining rights for the property while they just get rid of the ride itself and use it with USF's massive expansion pad.

While I do agree that Endless Summer hotels have pretty drab exteriors, the rooms themselves are ridiculously good and the amenities are great. At the end of the day, they are value hotels designed for sleeping after a day at the parks.

The two new hotels are much more comparable to the prime-value category like Cabana Bay. The exteriors are gonna be amazing.
Hey maybe...... South Park to replace Simpsons................ that would be huge LOL

Andrew25

I assume you’re essentially talking about the robot style arm moving the benches, no?

If you are then I say I both agree and disagree depending on how I look at it. Employing that kuk on an anchoring attraction is revolutionary but as for the technology itself I saw it before it made its way to the opening of Hogsmeade in Orlando——-I saw it at Uni Studios Hollywood; so did 10’s of thousands of others.

Not just the ride system, but FJ has a lot going for it... an immersive queue, grand facade, familiar/relevant IP that millions love, impressive ride system, carousel dome screens, sets that interact/impact guest travel, etc.

Kuka arms have existed for years prior to FJ, but nobody got a chance to ride it on a massive scale. (Sum of all thrills does not count lol)

UNCgolf

By the way, just to clarify -- even though I'm not a big fan of Forbidden Journey as it exists, I do like the ideas behind it and I hope they continue building rides like it in terms of scale etc.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom