News Wakanda joins Coco, Zootopia, and Encanto on Disney Parks' future blue sky expansion list, reveals Josh D'Amaro

Stupido

But I don't understand.. Isn't Black Panther one of the Marvel characters they explicitly can't use? What's going to be in Wakanda then? Surely they won't continue the 'Shuri is Black Panther' here? Will it just be the Dora Milaje? Will it be a team up attraction featuring the characters they can use, just set in Wakanda?

It seems very irresponsible to tease Wakanda without further expanding what it would look like. I think this land will be met with varying enthusiasm depending on what it features.

Last edited:

Phicinfan

Okay, just saying Wakanda in WDW doesn't track. Not with Black Panther being an Avenger. And having Wakanda with no reference to Black Panther makes no sense.

I read the above, was there a statement about Wakanda to WDW? It WOULD make a great expansion at Disneyland though.

No Name

But I don't understand.. Isn't Black Panther one of the Marvel characters they explicitly can't use?
Okay, just saying Wakanda in WDW doesn't track. Not with Black Panther being an Avenger.
He never mentioned WDW. The headline on this website is misleading and overblown. It was just a quick offhand mention about the idea and nothing more.

doctornick

But I don't understand.. Isn't Black Panther one of the Marvel characters they explicitly can't use? What's going to be in Wakanda then? Surely they won't continue the 'Shuri is Black Panther' here? Will it just be the Dora Milaje? Will it be a team up attraction featuring the characters they can use, just set in Wakanda?
Wakanda as a place and concept could almost certainly be used at WDW. T’Challa is almost certainly off limits, but sure I could see Shuri being possible.

If they hypothetically were putting Wakanda in Epcot (say replacing WoL), having it science/tech based would be something that could work with directly needing T’Challa.

lazyboy97o

While World of Frozen is pretty, Mystic Manor remains the best ride at HKDL 10 years after opening.

IP alone does not dictate whether an experience is good, as we've seen several times now in the past few years.
The Nondescript Coaster Themed Like India or Whatever was still a better return on investment than anything they’d done since. While that’s not due to a rejection of franchises (a term I think better defines the requirement than just IP and explains why older, smaller properties are ignored) it shows how the franchise mandate was not in response to a failure and the serious problems with cost control. Expedition Everest was a huge success that immediately rejected by Iger who was convinced that only franchises could appeal to audiences and were the key to success. While costs were to rise, that view of the unflappable power of franchises justified an acceleration of costs that resulted in things like Pixar Pier costing more than a true E ticket experience.

doctornick

They're desperate to put DEI in their parks.
That's the only drive.
While I wouldn’t frame quite like that, I do think the drive for more inclusive representation is probably part of why these specific IPs are on the table. And that’s not necessarily a bad thing, as they are all quite good IPs in terms of their popularity and how they could be used.

TheMaxRebo

It seems very irresponsible to tease Wakanda without further expanding what it would look like. I think this land with be met with varying enthusiasm depending on what it features.

I don't believe they could use the character Black Panther in Florida - he was a member of the Avengers at once

Now, could they have Wakanda without reference to the Black Panther? That is less clear

LSLS

Regardless of park, is Wakanda outside the Universal/Marvel agreement of Marvel representation east of the Mississippi River?
I don't know about Black Panther, but Wakanda I'd think almost certainly is. Isn't the agreement based on characters? This would be a place in Marvel.

doctornick

Regardless of park, is Wakanda outside the Universal/Marvel agreement of Marvel representation east of the Mississippi River?
Black Panther (T’Challa) is likely off limits for WDW but Wakanda is likely possible to use. And if Uni tried to block such use, you know Disney would be quick to pull out a PR push saying that Uni is preventing the building of an attraction themed to a popular Black character and concept that they are building for inclusion (with the subtle implication that Uni is being racist).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom