idea on refillable mugs

Coaster Lover

In the Parks
No
I honestly think you could make it $40 or $45 and it would still be worth it. I think the bigger issue with the current setup would simply be demand . I think there would be so many people looking to refill you'd need staff at each quick serve location just to accomidate refills. Conversely, they could just add customer facing soda fountains at all quick serve locations, but that is a substantial amount of infrastructure. Hersheypark has this. Instead of an RFID, they have QR codes on the refillable bottles and on the season passes. They have customer facing soda fountains in lots of areas around the park and you just scan the QR code to get your refill (can always get water and ice without scanning anything). If they had that at Disney and you could refill the mug in the parks, yeah, that refillable mug would be substantially more valuable!

dmw

In the Parks
No
Just for comparison... the All-Season mug (free refills all season) at Dollywood sells for 31.99. So, the price point you suggest might be low. But, for it to work in parks, the soft drinks need to be outside of the food lines. That's what makes it work so well at Dollywood. That and a LOT fewer guests in the park.

Interesting to note that Dollywood is on the honor system. The cup lid identifies the type of mug (single day refill vs season refill), but there is no one policing the drink stations.

Phonedave

I personally wouldn’t want to carry multiple of those around all day. Especially since they are not spill proof and cannot fit into a pocket on a backpack.

That is one of the big reasons for me that I would not get one. The other is that I really do not drink soda. Water (which is already free), and unsweetened iced tea is about all in WDW.

Raxel7851

Just for comparison... the All-Season mug (free refills all season) at Dollywood sells for 31.99. So, the price point you suggest might be low. But, for it to work in parks, the soft drinks need to be outside of the food lines. That's what makes it work so well at Dollywood. That and a LOT fewer guests in the park.

Interesting to note that Dollywood is on the honor system. The cup lid identifies the type of mug (single day refill vs season refill), but there is no one policing the drink stations.
Since we’ve heard so many great things about Dollywood on this forum, we’re heading there in June to experience it.

Weather_Lady

I personally wouldn’t want to carry multiple of those around all day. Especially since they are not spill proof and cannot fit into a pocket on a backpack.
Me neither. And I've seen, plenty of times, at Universal, how cumbersome and messy in-park refillable mugs can be. In some cases, families appeared to have appointed one family member to the be the drink Sherpa: you'd see them sitting out while everyone else went on rides, just to hold and babysit a bunch of drinks. I even saw some fool try and stuff one into a ride locker, sideways, while it was full... you can imagine the outcome. :rolleyes:

Coaster Lover

In the Parks
No
Since we’ve heard so many great things about Dollywood on this forum, we’re heading there in June to experience it.

I think you'll love it! The park (as a whole) has a very relaxed feeling to it and the staff are just so amazingly friendly (be sure to say "hi" to Miss. Lillian [i.e. “The Chicken Lady”]... she is such a WONDERFULLY entertaining character [and I believe possibly an alumni of Hoop Dee Doo?]) The food is also fantastic (not to mention a great collection of ride).

Refresh my memory... I know that the Disney mugs require the RFID to work. Can you scan the RFID chip and then swap out the mug you are filling or do you need to keep the mug with the RFID chip on the reader throughout the fill? If you can scan the RFID chip and then use any mug, it would be nice to just take along your own mug (possibly with a better lid) and just fill that (I know you could just fill the Disney mug then transfer the drink, but I'm not a huge fan of the effort required for that). Hate to keep bring up other parks, but with Hershey, the refills are just tied to a QR code. They do have the refill code on your bottle, but for season passholders, the QR code is on your season pass (which can also be on your phone). When you want a refill, you just scan the QR code at the fountain. Once the QR is scanned, you can use ANY mug (I bring along a nice big insulated mug with a water tight lid). You are limited to the volume you can fill per fill and there is a 10 minute hold period between refills (which I think is similar to Disney's set-up). Disney could still use the RFID, but if they could tie it to your magic band instead so you just scan your band then you could use any mug, that might be a better option ( at least in the sense that you could carry one larger mug instead of multiple smaller mugs)... still doesn't fix the issue of needing to carry around the mug in general...

Cmdr_Crimson

Could you imagine if Disney took the Freestyle approach similar to how Universal does their's...The lines for that in the parks you also need the virtual queue just to refill you mug..

ppete1975

I get tired of carrying anything so i wouldnt want to carry one around the park. I would rather they went to a bigger mug so that it would be useful outside of the park. They are cute but after stays most end up at good will, the trash, or the back of a cabinet. If they were bigger they would be less plastic waste. They only hold 12 ounces of liquid comfortably. Add in ice, and they are pretty much useless, and not as easy to clean as a plastic cup. And not that useful as an insulated cup.

Andrew25

Could you imagine if Disney took the Freestyle approach similar to how Universal does their's...The lines for that in the parks you also need the virtual queue just to refill you mug..

Probably right, but I would appreciate if Disney (and the other Orlando parks) could at least install more easily accessible water-filling stations (with free cups available) throughout the parks. The Florida sun is brutal and seeing people wiped out/down for the count at the parks is not fun.

Visited Hersheypark a few weeks ago and they had soda/water stations easily accessible and convenient stations throughout.

Cmdr_Crimson

Probably right, but I would appreciate if Disney (and the other Orlando parks) could at least install more easily accessible water-filling stations (with free cups available) throughout the parks. The Florida sun is brutal and seeing people wiped out/down for the count at the parks is not fun.

Visited Hersheypark a few weeks ago and they had soda/water stations easily accessible and convenient stations throughout.
But, then there would be guests who would take it too far and they would have to adjust the drink refill from 30 mins to 45..

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom