Coronado Tower vs. Old Rooms

Doberge

True Bayou Magic
Premium Member
Original Poster
We've never stayed at Coronado so we're looking to spend one or two nights with four of us including two kids under 8. Not much time so it'll be "resort only" so bus situation isn't an issue (and we have out car anyway).

So I have three questions. First, would you pay more for Grabd Destino Tower? If yes, how much more? It's running about $35-40 more than a traditional room. Third, club is an option for ~$400 or $150 more than a nonclub Tower room, so I'm curious if anyone would so something like one night All Star one night Coronado Club or two nights Coronado nonclub? Luggage is the same either way because it's such a short trip through, basically just overnight bags.

castlecake2.0

I’d do one night all stars then switch to tower club room. You can start using the resort amenities the morning of check in, leave all stars and go to club lounge and check in and start enjoying all the snacks and food! You can hang out at the pools or lounge till room is ready.

LeighM

I have yet to stay in Gran Destino Tower but the regular rooms at CSR are fantastic. The bathrooms in Destino have a totally different layout compared to almost every other Disney resort (the shower is in the same space as the sinks vs sinks being outside the room with the toilet and bath) so it can limit how many people can get ready at once. I don't think that Destino has bathtubs but I could be wrong. If that's something that is necessary for your family, you may want to do further research.

Doberge

True Bayou Magic
Premium Member
Original Poster
I’d do one night all stars then switch to tower club room. You can start using the resort amenities the morning of check in, leave all stars and go to club lounge and check in and start enjoying all the snacks and food! You can hang out at the pools or lounge till room is ready.
We were leaning this way because it's exactly what *I* want to do but with two kids under 8 it's also been suggested the "club to pool" distance is bit of a walk. We're currently leaning a cheaper tower or nontower room and then throwing the savings into Toledo.

I have yet to stay in Gran Destino Tower but the regular rooms at CSR are fantastic. The bathrooms in Destino have a totally different layout compared to almost every other Disney resort (the shower is in the same space as the sinks vs sinks being outside the room with the toilet and bath) so it can limit how many people can get ready at once. I don't think that Destino has bathtubs but I could be wrong. If that's something that is necessary for your family, you may want to do further research.

I hadn't thought about the bathroom configuration. Shower in room with sink shouldn't be a problem because my wife is the only one who needs more than two minutes at the sink, but the lack of tub could be a deal breaker for my son. He's not very fond of showers. It's something we'll have to consider if we'll make him suck it up or go without a shower for a day or two. If not, the old rooms may be the only choice.

LeighM

We were leaning this way because it's exactly what *I* want to do but with two kids under 8 it's also been suggested the "club to pool" distance is bit of a walk. We're currently leaning a cheaper tower or nontower room and then throwing the savings into Toledo.

I hadn't thought about the bathroom configuration. Shower in room with sink shouldn't be a problem because my wife is the only one who needs more than two minutes at the sink, but the lack of tub could be a deal breaker for my son. He's not very fond of showers. It's something we'll have to consider if we'll make him suck it up or go without a shower for a day or two. If not, the old rooms may be the only choice.

Depending on the time of year you're going, I would suggest a room in the Cabanas or Ranchos section if you want to be closer to the main pool. If you're going during cheer/dance competitions in the spring, then Ranchos might be overtaken by cheerleaders. We stayed in Ranchos for our first trip and really enjoyed the proximity to the main pool. Cabanas is a little closer, I think. The older rooms at CSR are some of the best of the moderate resorts and I would never hesitate to stay there (the exception being during cheer competitions LOL). However, if you're going during hurricane season, I would suggest Destino because you would be able to leave your room and go to the lobby, if there was one during your trip. But that would be harder to do the higher you are in the tower because that would be a lot of stairs lol.

LeighM

And if you require a bathtub, then definitely call Disney resort reservations and have them make a notation on your reservation because not every remodeled room at Coronado has a bathtub, either.

Buzz2001

Both are great. It just depends on your wants/needs. I typically like the outdoor walkways of the villages vs hallways of the tower but if we want to experience club level, we will stay in the tower. And even if you stay in the villages, you can still use the amenities of the tower. You can't go wrong with either

Imhere

We've stayed at CSR many times. Last visit we split between GDT & Casitas Preferred. We like trying new things, so, that's why we wanted to try GDT. The Tower is nice and I'm glad we tried it, but for a few different reasons we like Casitas Preferred better. We have tried staying Club level previously, not at CSR, and though we enjoyed it, it doesn't really fit our style of WDW touring. Once again though, trying different things is always good.

Doberge

True Bayou Magic
Premium Member
Original Poster
Thanks for the advice, all. Disney allowed us to book a "standard" view villages room for $187. At that price it'd cost another $60 for the tower and while maybe that might still be worth the difference, considering that we've never stated at Coronado at all we've decided put the savings toward dinner at Toledo or Three Bridges.

As a data point, it's interesting to me that the discount levels mean that standard Coronado is $1.05 cheaper per night than a standard POP room. I can see POP as a better fit for some families but I still think that's pretty crazy.

Last edited:

Imhere

Thanks for the advice, all. Disney allowed us to book a "standard" view villages room for $187. At that price it'd cost another $60 for the tower and while maybe that might still be worth the difference, considering that we've never stated at Coronado at all we've decided put the savings toward dinner at Toledo or Three Bridges.

As a data point, it's interesting to me that the discount levels mean that standard Coronado is $1.05 cheaper per night than a standard POP room. I can see POP as a better fit for some families but I still think that's pretty crazy.
If I were you I'd call in and note a request for Casitas 4 or 5. That gives you many of the benefits of preferred. Close to Bus stop #2; the ability to walk to El Centro undercover if it's raining; close to a quiet pool. In our experience, CSR is one of the better resorts for meeting our requests.

nickys

Premium Member

Pop has the Skyliner. I agree it’s still crazy but it pushed both Pop and AoA prices up.

ktg_1

We did Grand Destino Tower Club level last Christmas and LOVED it! Loved the room, great club lounge offerings, zero transport issues... Club lounge staff were fantastic. Was worried we'd feel out of touch with things but actually preferred it to our BC, BW. and CR club level stays in previous years.

Richie248

Gran Destino/Chronos Club is awesome. Staff is amazing, lounge is beautiful....it's my new go to! Highly recommend it if you plan on spending more time at the resort vs. parks.

fireworksandfairytales

In the Parks
No
I personally would choose Gran Destino over the regular rooms. We've stayed at Coronado Springs twice and it's such a large, sprawling resort that I think the convenience of being in the main tower is well worth the price. It's also absolutely stunning and feels more like a deluxe resort at a moderate price, imo.

James J

In the Parks
No
If I were you I'd call in and note a request for Casitas 4 or 5. That gives you many of the benefits of preferred. Close to Bus stop #2; the ability to walk to El Centro undercover if it's raining; close to a quiet pool. In our experience, CSR is one of the better resorts for meeting our requests.
I second this. That's the area we request when we go to CSR, and wouldn't want to change to the Tower. It's perfect.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom