News Disney CFO Christine McCarthy says Disney will continue to focus on existing intellectual property for new park investments

BlakeW39

Such a weird way of thinking of things. For it to be "new" or "creative" it has to come from a specific division that isn't part of a previous acquisition? So Mandalorian isn't creative? Endgame isn't creative? The days where you have a handful of channels and the movie theatre don't exist. The days of network TV plus cable plus movies don't even exist anymore.
To many on here, the answer to that question is no. They’re not creative because they’re just extensions of existing IP. I disagree, as do many I’m sure. But the loud majority on here is “IP bad”

"cre·a·tive
/krēˈādiv/
adjective
adjective: creative
relating to or involving the imagination or original ideas, especially in the production of an artistic work."

Creating new IP and original attractions in the parks is more creative than leveraging IP that already exists, yes. I think that's pretty intuitively obvious. Endgame has creative merits yes because it's a new story not told in the comics, but nothing Disney has done in its domestic parks over the last 5 years or so has really been creative at all, categorically.

While I read these boards daily, I rarely post. But, I have to agree with the fact that IP is where Disney is going...And it is the right direction.
When Sue from West Virginia, or Maddy from Massachusetts plan their family trip to finally see Disney World, all they care about is IP. They do not know the acronym IP, but it is what they want. Which parks do I visit? Which park has Star Wars? Which park has Avengers? Which park has the princesses? Which park has Harry Potter?

Then, when they get home, which attractions are they telling their neighbors about? Elsa was in EPCOT. Mickey Ride was in the Studios. I could not ride the Harry Potter World ride because I could not find it. Oh and I waited online for 1 hour and Jungle Book sucked. What was up with the stupid fake bird show and the old teddy bear show. They are so dated and need to go.

While we may enjoy the classic attractions without IP, that is not what most Disney visitors want to see.......[stuff]..........IP is what guests want and it is what is being produced now.

Mhm, all of this is nice but it's based plainly on anecdote. It's not evidence that the general public prefers IP to original attractions. My family members, who before my explanations hadn't even known what the acronym "IP" stood for, have complained many times that too many attractions these days are based on niche brands and franchises with limited broad appeal. They say they like Pandora, etc but don't like that it's based on movies they either don't like or haven't seen. They don't go on forums, they don't know about the online community or their sentiments about IP. But when I told them about it they mostly agreed. Even Harry Potter which they are fans of, disappointed them when it replaced their favorite land at IOA....The Lost Continent.

See? We all got anecdotes. But they aren't evidence that popular IP > original attractions. Or vice versa. We all have different opinions. But rides like Everest, POTC, HM, and TOT (which is not based on an IP that has any pull and is therefore in the eyes of most guests an original attraction) and the constant obsession among park goers for Figment seem to suggest that original attractions are plenty popular among park goers. Anything new will get a line, that's not IP doing that, and I think many people are missing that.

matt9112

Is this one of the central spine attractions? Because aside from the spine all of the lands are IP based.

Yes there’s at least two well three if you count both coasters as seperate rides. That are non IP. Also credit is due with the selection of IPs outside of potter none are rehashing the other two parks. So it’s all new in the “orlando” sense.

Wendy Pleakley

Some of the most beloved Disney attractions weren't built off an existing IP.

Pirates in fact spawned a hugely successful 5-movie franchise.

It's bizarre to me that it has to be all or nothing. The occasional original attraction would also appeal to potential guests who don't live and breathe all things Disney.

It also helps if not all IP based attractions are just retellings of the existing story. Guardians from what I can tell uses the world as a jumping off point to create an original attraction that ties into the larger franchise, which to me is more interesting than passing by scenes from a movie.

BlakeW39

Random, huh?

I’m sure it’s not so she can scapegoated for things later and was ordered to…

Nah

Scapegoated for..? Want to expand on that?

I’m a park “purist” and like my original designs…

But tower and imagination ain’t coming through that door again.

That’s ok…plenty of IP based things can be done of quality.

I think this is where we disagree. You say this is okay. I think it's such a massive tradgedy. Yes IP things can be done well but I like to see new, original things, not just the same stuff I can watch on my TV at home. So saying things like TOT or JII ain't ever coming to WDW again....that is my biggest issue with TWDC right now. Sure letting things sit there and just rot away is bad too. But that's just laziness & a lack of care for guests/show. The IP mandate on the other hand is a promise that at their core TWDC doesn't care about innovation or creativity in their parks. Nor theme park design as an art form. I'm above just, whatever is new I'll take it. No. I want more than Cosmic Rewind out of my EPCOT experience.

mightynine

It also helps if not all IP based attractions are just retellings of the existing story. Guardians from what I can tell uses the world as a jumping off point to create an original attraction that ties into the larger franchise, which to me is more interesting than passing by scenes from a movie.
Sure, but now that version of the Guardians is now over, so does Cosmic Rewind become more dated with time? Does it feel out of place if you're a big Guardians fan?

I always feel that's the risk with an IP-focus - you're betting on something popular now being popular later.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Scapegoated for..? Want to expand on that?
the way I see it…and remember I’ve never been right about anything disney related…

Chrissy and tightpants Josh are still there only at iger’s leisure.

He agreed with the “we really weren’t chapek yes men/women” (cause that’s all they’ve ever been) nonsense and allowed them to take a little of big shots juju upfront as saviors…

But that’s assuming bob’s ego would be stroked and it certainly has not.

So if things go south further…and there’s not much wiggle around that now…they’ll be dumped so he has more people to blame.

The LAST thing to be sacrificed will be iger’s ego.
All of us fall into 2 categories here:
1. You know this
2. You know this but you won’t admit you’ve been had.

Not much nuance beyond.

So they go next.
What’s the first rule of assassinations? Kill the assassins.
Arnold did her duty in ordering 66…then her “term was up”. Uh huh…Bob appointed. Yeah…

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Why would they model their profitable theme parks after something that is yet to make money and is a massive albatross circling over the bloodied and battered corpse of TWDC?
Cause they’re going to make bazillions!

Somebody in a nametag said it 5 years ago and they’ll be smited by a Zeus lightning bolt if they lied…per SEC regulations…

Come on, rookie…don’t make me get someone in here to show how streaming is a gold mine…but ONLY for Disney.

BlakeW39

the way I see it…and remember I’ve never been right about anything disney related…

Chrissy and tightpants Josh are still there only at iger’s leisure.

He agreed with the “we really weren’t chapek yes men/women” (cause that’s all they’ve ever been) nonsense and allowed them to take a little of big shots juju upfront as saviors…

But that’s assuming bob’s ego would be stroked and it certainly has not.

So if things go south further…and there’s not much wiggle around that now…they’ll be dumped so he has more people to blame.

The LAST thing to be sacrificed will be iger’s ego.
All of us fall into 2 categories here:
1. You know this
2. You know this but you won’t admit you’ve been had.

Not much nuance beyond.

So they go next.
What’s the first rule of assassinations? Kill the assassins.
Arnold did her duty in ordering 66…then her “term was up”. Uh huh…Bob appointed. Yeah…

Fair enough.

Things are not looking good for TWDC right now. They're burning bridges with their fans, which isn't a good thing. And as much as they love their little IPs right now, have fun sloshing them all over the parks after you run all your core brands into the ground.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Set aside Disney. When / what was the last new original non-IP attraction developed by a major theme park?
Good question…

Well they really only have one direct competitor that does themed rides beyond skins and statues…
And their last original was some time ago unless you count volcano bay?

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member
Cause they’re going to make bazillions!

Somebody in a nametag said it 5 years ago and they’ll be smited by a Zeus lightning bolt if they lied…per SEC regulations…

Come on, rookie…don’t make me get someone in here to show how streaming is a gold mine…but ONLY for Disney.
I for one am eagerly awaiting a new 5th gate based entirely on the critically acclaimed Peter Pan and Wendy Direct to Streaming thing.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I for one am eagerly awaiting a new 5th gate based entirely on the critically acclaimed Peter Pan and Wendy Direct to Streaming thing.
…I’m glad you brought that up.

Can we have a board rule that this shell of a comment today qualifies for at LEAST a 5 year moratorium on 5th gate talk?

Cause it’s gonna be a lot longer than that anyway

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Fair enough.

Things are not looking good for TWDC right now. They're burning bridges with their fans, which isn't a good thing. And as much as they love their little IPs right now, have fun sloshing them all over the parks after you run all your core brands into the ground.
You mean there’s a ceiling to egregious price increases NO MATTER what your IP is and eventually everyone hits that point?

Bob doesn’t believe you…he read a book about it 😡

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom