News EPCOT's Harmonious to be replaced with new nighttime spectacular Luminous

surfsupdon

In retrospect, Reflections of Earth should've gotten the same treatment as Fantasmic! at DHS (and, in a round about way, HEA at MK). Extensive infrastructure upgrades, modest story changes, and new pyro would've easily carried RoE for another 10+ years, all at a fraction of Harm's cost and with renewed enthusiasm from fans and park guests. Could've even had WDW 50 and Disney 100 tags for the celebrations.

At least DHS and MK have top notch nighttime entertainment again. Maybe one day EPCOT will have it, too.
This is so true!!!

I was just telling my buddy who performs in Fantasmic how truly great this new show is. I saw it last week! It’s refreshed, but carries with it that iconic score from the era of both Spectro and Illuminations, a Time period that WDW really was an awesome place.

A refreshed Illuminations would have been a great fit for Epcot.

SaucyBoy

In the Parks
No
I don't think they would know how to do that type of show anymore if you presented them with the task. The question now is is this a different team than harmonious or same team, because if so............
I disagree. It’s easy to dog pile on the creatives who bring these shows to life. Sure there may be a small minority who thrive in shoving the latest trendy films into the final product. But I truly believe there are still a lot of great people in the entertainment realm who have visions of great and fitting nighttime shows for WDW parks.

Rivers of Light, for all its flaws, was proof that they could create an original, (mostly) interesting, and moving non-IP nighttime show again. Even with Epcot Forever, there was an attempt to make something genuine; even if it appeals to a small number of guests. We know that time and time again, the people above their pay grade force changes onto the final products. Harmonious had a lot of components that could have worked well without outside meddling. We will never know.

Last edited:

Smiley/OCD

I disagree. It’s easy to dog pile on the creatives who bring these shows to life. Sure there may be a small minority who thrive in shoving the latest trendy films into the final product. But I truly believe there are still a lot of great people in the entertainment real who have visions of great and fitting nighttime shows for WDW parks.

Rivers of Light, for all its flaws, was proof that they could creat an original, (mostly) interesting, and moving non-IP nighttime show again. Even with Epcot Forever, a show I find to be so boring, is also a decent example. We know that time and time again, the people above their pay grade force changes onto the final products. Harmonious had a lot of components that could have worked well without outside meddling. We will never know.
I happen to agree with you, the creative CM’s are still there, the problem is their bosses, the noodnicks they have to answer to…

doctornick

An outpost that is nothing more than a food and beverage kiosk is not "representing" Africa. What's currently there is insulting, at best, if you think it's actually representing anything but a Coca-Cola stand. So is this about representing movies or representing pavilions? What other countries "deserve" to be recognized? More importantly, do they have food/beverage kiosks that can be exploited?

Personally I think having a Epcot show that ties into various nations and cultures is a great idea. Even if it uses Disney IP to do so (though it can be done more effectively). That being said, I wouldn’t expect or what it to to restricted only to the pavilions already featured at WS as there is a huge and diverse world beyond them. No reason not to incorporate WS pavilions into the show when appropriate but that shouldn’t be a restricting factor.

James Alucobond

They thought Enchantment and Harmonious was good too though
Enchantment is fine; it just had nothing to do with the 50th and was coming off the heels of a very popular, very similar show. Harmonious is also a good show in isolation even if it could use some revision. It’s just technically problematic, exists in the wrong park, utilizes a lot of the same music as Happily Ever After, and blights the lagoon during the day. More than enough strikes to make an out to be sure, but the quality of the show itself was far from terrible.

Incomudro

I'm so happy they are dismantling those eyesores.
It kind of bothers me that I had to see them there on my last trip, as I don't know when my next one will be.

Last edited:

Fox&Hound

Not saying they would or should, but could these barges be moved to AK? They were horrible in Epcot and ruined the views of the lake cause it was central and could be seen at all times. And the show was viewed in the round which did not fit the technology. But with the stadium in AK it is not in the round and would work better. And it is off to the side and would not be seen all day. They could cut the pyro if it would scare the animals. As much as DIS was idiotic to build this, I’d hate to see all that money and tech go to waste. It could have been cool, but it was in the wrong location.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom