News Disney World Cast Member unions to begin week of negotiations for wage increases, healthcare costs and more

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Yeah, it does. The volume of Disney restaurants, and therefore the amount of plates, pans, etc they have, is so so so much larger than again, those local restaurants.
Yes, they may have to move their arms more...huge difference in the skills required.
I’m not pretending they can adjust so freely, but quite frankly, I don’t care.
You have made it clear you have no sympathy for others....

MagicHappens1971

Yes, they may have to move their arms more...huge difference in the skills required.
It’s a much more strenuous job, have you ever been a dishwasher? Because I have. In a high volume restaurant and a low volume restaurant. Vastly different.
You have made it clear you have no sympathy for others....
I do have sympathy for others, but we are comparing to apples to oranges. I also don’t understand how Disney raising their wages and local places being unable or unwilling to compete is Disneys fault.

I’m sympathetic to the service industry employees (of which I have been in for the past 7 years) who are consistently, underpaid, overworked and under appreciated.

I’m sympathetic to the Disney CMs who have had to live in their car because Disney “can’t afford” to pay them more.

What I am not sympathetic to, is the argument that because one company did one thing, that if another doesn’t follow suit, is the first companies fault.

At the end of the day, businesses must evolve and adapt, or they will fail.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
It’s a much more strenuous job, have you ever been a dishwasher? Because I have
Yes.
I’m sympathetic to the service industry employees (of which I have been in for the past 7 years) who are consistently, underpaid, overworked and under appreciated.
Maybe not the ones outside of the Disney bubble though, it seems?
I also don’t understand how Disney raising their wages and local places being unable to compete is Disneys fault.
It isn't their fault. Only recognizing that there could potentially be consequences for others. I could be wrong though given the unique nature of WDW and the amount of business they bring to the area in general.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
I think Iger’s salary is a stupid amount but that doesn’t change the market rate for a CEO at a major corporation.
You think the market rate in Orlando for a dishwasher is $18? I wound be very surprised.

For Washington state, the minimum wage is almost $16 i believe. So maybe less about the market directly and more about the government.

CastAStone

5th gate? Just build a new resort Bob.
Premium Member
You think the market rate in Orlando for a dishwasher is $18? I wound be very surprised.
Well Disney has been offering $16 for a while with no success, so probably, yeah. much of central Florida is usually staffed by immigrants in their first jobs and there has been virtually no immigration since 2020 because of the pandemic so there’s some gaps in quantity of low wage employees there.

CastAStone

5th gate? Just build a new resort Bob.
Premium Member

For Washington state, the minimum wage is almost $16 i believe. So maybe less about the market directly and more about the government.
By the way if you think the union picked the 5-6 roles getting extra wage increases, I don’t know what to tell you. Those are the exact jobs that Disney has been offering sign on bonuses on for 2 years and that Disnry has publicly blame the lack of staff in for the ongoing closures of certain restaurants and other facilities. Disney WANTS to pay more for those roles.

tallica

I'm wondering whats the % of union cast compared to non union cast? Cast are under no obligation to pay dues to join the union and both still get the same raise. The non union cast working alongside the union cast get the same increases and make out in the end - no weekly union dues taken out of their paychecks. New hires I have heard are pressured to join the union but no obligation to join.
even if you don't join the union it is still a union job/role. since the pandemic a lot of CMs have left the union for various reasons, but mostly due to feeling that the union has let them down. The unions represent about 40,000 CMs out of about 70,000. I do not know what % of the 40,000 actually are paying dues. nonunion jobs are mostly supervisors, call center and office jobs. https://www.uniteherelocal362.org/stcu-directory/

-em

My frustration is that loyalty/longevity means you end up with less than your newer peers… if you were 2 steps up from entry level pay you become equal to them very quickly.. the lower levels on some groups see an $8 pay bump over the contract but mid/upper tiers will see $5-6..

Lilofan

even if you don't join the union it is still a union job/role. since the pandemic a lot of CMs have left the union for various reasons, but mostly due to feeling that the union has let them down. The unions represent about 40,000 CMs out of about 70,000. I do not know what % of the 40,000 actually are paying dues. nonunion jobs are mostly supervisors, call center and office jobs. https://www.uniteherelocal362.org/stcu-directory/
I'm referring to as example attractions cast. % of union and non union cast on the team. I'm not referring to call center office jobs etc which are non union.

Lilofan

My frustration is that loyalty/longevity means you end up with less than your newer peers… if you were 2 steps up from entry level pay you become equal to them very quickly.. the lower levels on some groups see an $8 pay bump over the contract but mid/upper tiers will see $5-6..
If you want to earn more apply for promotional opportunities or look for depts that earn more.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom