News Disney to develop residential communities with new 'Storyliving by Disney' business

Poseidon Quest

Disney has shared the first of a 4-part video series on "The Story Behind the Making of Cotino Community".

Who's idea was it to produce this video? It's the first out of a 4 part series, but is just 2 minutes of corporate buzzwords being thrown around like "storytelling" that don't even apply to Disney anymore. Is this generic housing development with Disney's name slapped onto it really going to "inspire creativity"?

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Who's idea was it to produce this video? It's the first out of a 4 part series, but is just 2 minutes of corporate buzzwords being thrown around like "storytelling" that don't even apply to Disney anymore. Is this generic housing development with Disney's name slapped onto it really going to "inspire creativity"?
This is just the beginning of the homeowner hero's journey: The call to check out real estate.

The next chapters will detail the strenuous obstacles the home hunters have, and to face and thwart the antagonist, which is the lack of water in a dessert amidst a historic drought. In the last chapter, they use their heroic power -- being a multi-millionaire -- to have water shipped into their quaint village so they can water their lawns and golf courses.

TP2000

ehhhh - that's going to turn out well, in a severe drought area 😆.

You've never been to Rancho Mirage and/or Palm Springs, have you? The entire Coachella Valley is irrigated with water from the Sierras of Central and Northern California, and the Colorado River. It's always green, always lush, always flowering, with ponds and streams and fountains.

Especially in the golf course housing communities...

origin.jpg

With another six weeks to go before the snow starts melting to fill up the reservoirs, California is already way above average for the entire year on snowpack. As of February 16th, 2023...

2-16-23.jpg

rainy!.jpg

Last edited:

TP2000

Disney has shared the first of a 4-part video series on "The Story Behind the Making of Cotino Community".

Well, that was particularly vapid. I feel dumber for having sat through it.

She's a 50 year old woman who continually uses the word "amazing" to describe normal people and average things, as if she was a 20 year old sorority girl with a stunted vocabulary. That's not a good sign. Amaaaaazing!

That someone in the marketing department still thinks they can call it "legendary Disney service" when referring to Disney CM's is alarming. What year do they think it is, I wonder? 1992? 1986? 1979? They either haven't been to the parks in the last two years to see how low CM work performance has been allowed to sink to, and/or they think it's still the 20th century.

She said so many words, without saying much. But then she said...

"Walt Disney called this his laughing place." Uh... she isn't reading the memos, is she? :oops:

GimpYancIent

You've never been to Rancho Mirage and/or Palm Springs, have you? The entire Coachella Valley is irrigated with water from the Sierras of Central and Northern California, and the Colorado River. It's always green, always lush, always flowering, with ponds and streams and fountains.

Especially in the golf course housing communities...

origin.jpg

With another six weeks to go before the snow starts melting to fill up the reservoirs, California is already way above average for the entire year on snowpack. As of February 16th, 2023...

View attachment 698965
View attachment 698966

I do believe mother nature said "Hold My Beer".

Sir_Cliff

Disney has shared a new video showing concept art of the amenities coming to Contino.

This development still puzzles me. For example, wouldn't they be better just saying the clubhouse was inspired by the region's rich heritage of mid-century modern architecture rather than The Incredibles 2? Is the latter description really more appealing to the adults they want to buy houses here and join the club?

It seems another instance where Disney has forgotten that the theming that set Disney parks and resorts apart was not usually directly lifted from their films.

Tha Realest

This is so stupid. I hope TWDC is only licensing their name (potentially making money) and not actually spending the company’s money on this stinker.
Do you like spending $1,000 /night to stay in those Incredibles-themed Contemporary Resort rooms?

Do you have a few million to spare and only need a place to live for a few months a year?

Well then I have good news for you!

Poseidon Quest

This is so stupid. I hope TWDC is only licensing their name (potentially making money) and not actually spending the company’s money on this stinker.

That was the impression I got. I think that this was just a quick cash making scheme to slap the Disney name onto a rather generic development. At least Celebration had interesting ideas behind it even if it didn't work out and Disney couldn't continue to commit.

UNCgolf

This development still puzzles me. For example, wouldn't they be better just saying the clubhouse was inspired by the region's rich heritage of mid-century modern architecture rather than The Incredibles 2? Is the latter description really more appealing to the adults they want to buy houses here and join the club?

It seems another instance where Disney has forgotten that the theming that set Disney parks and resorts apart was not usually directly lifted from their films.

I was wondering if this was just another example of the IP mandate -- that they needed to tie even this into IP somehow.

Bocabear

with the target audience being 55+ I would say that an "Incredibles" theme is incredibly tone-deaf... Celebrate the modernist architecture of the area... design something that glorifies the glory days of Palm Springs Swank... that would interest a 55+ crowd more than cartoons.
Isn't it interesting that Celebration had world class architects like IM Pei and Michael Graves designing the town center, no IP, and a hugely successful project was born. Still popular, still expensive, still looks great.
While Celebration was a different animal, it's success shows they can do this sort of project...just forget the IP inclusion and make something engaging and beautifully designed

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom