RIP Turtles 360

tcool123

If they weren't in Orlando I would agree with you. Cause they would be competing with Universal and Disney in that market it doesn't make sense to go in that direction.
The fact its in Orlando is why they should. What do you do in this park in a thunderstorm? The answer? The few aquariums scattered around the park, Wild Artic, and the penguin exhibit. Perhaps a few of the Sesame Street flat rides depending on how serious the storm is given some I believe are protected.

This isnt a great lineup, and likely an ops nightmare. Turtle Trek, Penguins Ride and the Wild Arctic Ride were crucial during these times as the only operable attractions. To round out the coasters the park needs to replace those attractions ASAP alongside an additional indoor attraction or two. Ideally a Sesame Dark Ride and literally anything else.

jeanericuser001

Original Poster
This is reminding me of the same approach that busch gardens has taken in the past. If they can't fix it they bury it until the remains can be repurposed for something else. Alas though I doubt turtles 360 will be getting any new refurbishments as that area is so close to the rehab center that it makes sense they may use it in the future as a PR tour to remind people of all the good their rescue operations do. That is why the rescue tour is one of the cheapest tours in the park. Honestly maybe they need to have an animal hospital walkthrough so people can see the sort of work sea world does.

jeanericuser001

Original Poster
Turtle Trek 360 was an awesome attraction. I'm sad it's gone - doesn't really make sense to me.
From what I recall it was a technical failure that killed it. The 3d projectors broke down but alas there was no parts to replace it as the company in question went bust so they went with 2d projectors for a while. Its vaguely similar to what probably killed wild arctic as those rides are relics from the early simulator days of body wars, questor, akbar's, and star tours. Only star tours remains because disney has plenty of parts saved for necessary repairs. As for turtles 360, when turtles 2d show was no longer bringing in people as the original did and merchandise sales were moot they decided to switch to the rescue brand which occasionally makes some semi decent sales. Besides they are badly in need of good publicity and seeing orphaned manatees as well as rehabbed sea animals is good publicity. I still think the next step should be to replicate the success of Animal Care Center at Busch Gardens. When publicized properly that place brings in a lot of people particularly as you never know what is gonna be getting animal care. The same thing could prove handy for sea world.

lazyboy97o

From what I recall it was a technical failure that killed it. The 3d projectors broke down but alas there was no parts to replace it as the company in question went bust so they went with 2d projectors for a while. Its vaguely similar to what probably killed wild arctic as those rides are relics from the early simulator days of body wars, questor, akbar's, and star tours. Only star tours remains because disney has plenty of parts saved for necessary repairs. As for turtles 360, when turtles 2d show was no longer bringing in people as the original did and merchandise sales were moot they decided to switch to the rescue brand which occasionally makes some semi decent sales.
Christie is still very much in business.

What's interesting is the former Turtle Trek theater entrance has new "Coral Rescue" signage around it that would imply something is eventually going to fill that space. I have no idea what it would be... Hopefully not some dull documentary-style video about literally trying to save coral. Turtle Trek was a really good immersive show that hit all the right notes and I'd like to see something comparable take its place, though right now I'd honestly be happy to just have something there again. SeaWorld currently doesn't have a single indoor ride or show, which is unthinkable in a place where it rains almost daily, and this would be a very easy first step to rectify that.

LittleMerman

What's interesting is the former Turtle Trek theater entrance has new "Coral Rescue" signage around it that would imply something is eventually going to fill that space. I have no idea what it would be... Hopefully not some dull documentary-style video about literally trying to save coral. Turtle Trek was a really good immersive show that hit all the right notes and I'd like to see something comparable take its place, though right now I'd honestly be happy to just have something there again. SeaWorld currently doesn't have a single indoor ride or show, which is unthinkable in a place where it rains almost daily, and this would be a very easy first step to rectify that.
I could see it being a video experience about SeaWorld's rescue center. Coral is prob just a code name for now.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom