'Strange World' Disney's 2022 Animated Film

BuddyThomas

It's fascinating how today's scriptwriters don't think people will notice that kind of clumsy character development and writing.

There seems to be a belief in media today that audiences are stupid. They are not, because audiences are made up of humans and humans are not stupid.
You don’t know anything about the character development or writing, having not seen it.

celluloid

It is so wild to think that Disney's animated holiday release feature that was out both Thanksgiving and Christmas break could not come close within millions to Jackass Forever.

TP2000

It is so wild to think that Disney's animated holiday release feature that was out both Thanksgiving and Christmas break could not come close within millions to Jackass Forever.

I had no idea what Jackass Forever was, so I Googled it and ended up watching a trailer. Now I wish I hadn't! 😆 🤣:hungover:

But your point is not just a funny one, it's a valid one. And it really sums up this financial and artistic hole that Burbank has dug themselves into recently.

Strange World, with a production budget of $180 Million was a Disney family animated film released at Thanksgiving and running through Christmas in over 4,100 theaters.
Compared to Jackass Forever that had a reported production budget of only $10 Million and was released in February in 500 fewer theaters.

WeCanSayJackassHere.jpg

Phroobar

I had no idea what Jackass Forever was, so I Googled it and ended up watching a trailer. Now I wish I hadn't! 😆 🤣:hungover:

But your point is not just a funny one, it's a valid one. And it really sums up this financial and artistic hole that Burbank has dug themselves into recently.

Strange World, with a production budget of $180 Million was a Disney family animated film released at Thanksgiving and running through Christmas in over 4,100 theaters.
Compared to Jackass Forever that had a reported production budget of only $10 Million and was released in February in 500 fewer theaters.

View attachment 688995
There is market fan base for Jackass movies. There were 9 of them and the Mtv show.

TP2000

To be fair to Strange World, the most direct comparison is to Puss In Boots: The Last Wish.

Puss In Boots shot past Strange World's 35 days of domestic box office on its 8th day. It's also doing vastly better overseas than Strange World did, and it's trajectory is still straight up through this weekend. Strange World was even less popular overseas than it was in the USA.

Puss In Boots reportedly had a production budget of $90 Million, or half that of Strange World.

AntiGravityBoots.jpg

Prince-1

There's a fundamental difference between the dwarfs and Kristoff. The dwarfs start off dirty but they don't end that way. Snow White is very firm that they can't have a bite to eat unless they are cleaned, following the old moral precept that cleanliness is close to godliness you know. There's a reason that Walt cut out the soup sequence but not the washing sequence. That whole segment isn't about ensuring that the dwarfs can fill their bellies but that they are bettered by learning to actually wash. Kristoff has no such transformation. His dirtiness is treated like a joke, often at his expense, and he never better himself.

Man, your posts do make me laugh.

Rich T

True, but I sincerely believe Strange World will eventually be recognized for its strengths and just be enjoyed by generations to come as a fun adventure movie. Jackass Forever… no. That’s not a lot of comfort right now to the folks who made Strange World, I know…

celluloid

True, but I sincerely believe Strange World will eventually be recognized for its strengths and just be enjoyed by generations to come as a fun adventure movie. Jackass Forever… no. That’s not a lot of comfort right now to the folks who made Strange World, I know…
Here is hoping. I like to believe quality will out, but the fast pace volume the way the world is, cult classics seem less likely.

It could happen. I did not find this film to be that, but some may.

I grew up loving Flight of The Navigator. That had more play in theaters though.

Last edited:

Rich T

To be fair to Strange World, the most direct comparison is to Puss In Boots: The Last Wish.

Puss In Boots shot past Strange World's 35 days of domestic box office on its 8th day. It's also doing vastly better overseas than Strange World did, and it's trajectory is still straight up through this weekend. Strange World was even less popular overseas than it was in the USA.

Puss In Boots reportedly had a production budget of $90 Million, or half that of Strange World.

View attachment 689017

That’s not totally fair: Puss in Boots is a sequel starring an established character with a built-in fan base (I was actually surprised it didn’t open bigger). Strange World was (is) a tough sell, even if it had been a great film instead simply a decent one.

Rich T

Don’t forget though, Disney barely advertised Strange World at all, compared to the inescapable marketing circus they usually slap everyone in the face with.

There are all kinds of theories as to why, and someday I’d love to find out what really happened backstage there, but most people didn’t even know its release was imminent or that it was out.

One almost gets the impression that—for one reason or another—someone decided to throw this movie out into the wild, figuring if it became a hit on its own, swell.

I’d love to know the truth.

Last edited:

celluloid

I had also read Puss in Boots isn’t doing as well as expected?
For a theatrical slump year(s) and against Avatar which most people are rushing to see first.it is doing ok.

It is a reboot spin off sequel to a spin off from a character who premiered in a sequel to a movie from the early 2000s. It is still going to likely out perform every Disney Animated movie of the year, which is wild to think about. I did not think we would be in a world where all Disney animated releases of the year were eclipsed by Universal produced and.distributed animated features. Some with quite a distance.

Last edited:

RobWDW1971

It's funny how when Minions:Rise of Gru ended its domestic theatrical run just five weeks ago at $370M ($940M global) nobody was talking about families not taking their kids to see animated films in theaters or other such nonsensical excuses.

BTW, Puss in Boots:TLW (at half the budget) passed Strange World's entire domestic box office gross in just eight days of release.

Universal clearly focused on broad-based family entertainment and the strategy is paying off with families all over the world.

TP2000

Don’t forget though, Disney barely advertised Strange World at all, compared to the inescapable marketing circus they usually slap everyone in the face with.
Exactly.

There are all kinds of theories as to why, and someday I’d love to find out what really happened backstage there, but most people didn’t even know its release was imminent or that it was out.

One almost gets the impression that—for one reason or another—someone decided to throw this movie out into the wild, figuring if it became a hit on its own, swell.

It's bizarre. And there clearly is a story there. But many fans pretend not to care what that story is, and the industry media is pretending it's not a thing and not covering it in their stories about Strange World's box office failure.

I’d love to know the truth.

So would I. But that would require real journalists to use real journalism to dig into the answers there. And for whatever reason, that's not something journalists do any more. They just shrug and say stuff like "Strange World was really colorful and fun!" and try to move on very quickly. What $180 Million? Where? 🤣

LittleBuford

Exactly.

It's bizarre. And there clearly is a story there. But many fans pretend not to care what that story is, and the industry media is pretending it's not a thing and not covering it in their stories about Strange World's box office failure.

So would I. But that would require real journalists to use real journalism to dig into the answers there. And for whatever reason, that's not something journalists do any more. They just shrug and say stuff like "Strange World was really colorful and fun!" and try to move on very quickly. What $180 Million? Where? 🤣
There are actually many, many online articles about the poor marketing, not to mention lots of discussion about it, including in this very thread. It’s true that no good answers have yet been provided, but the issue itself has been repeatedly noted and is not being shrugged away.

Rich T

Universal clearly focused on broad-based family entertainment and the strategy is paying off with families all over the world.
One could also argue that many of Universal’s animated films (with notable exceptions to be noted below) are shallow, full of inappropriate-for-children humor, and aimed at the lowest common denominator. I think Strange World will, in the long run, outlast Puss in Boots and Minions as far as being a much-enjoyed classic familiar to most families over generations to come.

(Cont. in Part 2)

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom