IASW Introducing Dolls in Wheelchairs

AndyS2992

I was going to post the lyrics and dissect them, but I didn’t. Thank you. Literally no part of the song relates to perfection. “A world of tears…a world of fears…”
I wouldn’t pay too much attention to the lyrics, supposedly carefully worded so that an evil subliminal message could be heard when played backwards 😂 🙈

Angel Ariel

You understand that a show and a show's audience are two different things, right? I don't understand this obsession with the idea that the former has to mirror the latter for some reason.
Yes - there’s no need to be rude in questioning others’ understanding.

I didn’t fully understand the importance of representation until I had a child with disabilities, and seeing the difference it makes for her - in self-esteem, mental health, etc - to know she’s not alone. I’ve already shown this to her, and while she doesn’t use a wheelchair, she was very happy to see this.

And never once did I say that small world *has* to mirror all disabilities. Just that inclusion isn’t the slippery slope are making it out to be.

Smiley/OCD

I'm looking at it more metaphysically... a world in which there are no disabled children (or sick children or lonely children or abused children or...)
Maybe they should change the song from “iasw” to Lennon’s “Imagine”…
I’ve been here since 2016, and I NEVER, EVER thought that the inclusion of handicapped children would be found to be problematic…it’s sad, REALLY sad.

Joel

I agree that the message of IASW is not about creating a perfect world where there are no disabilities or pain of any other sort. However, the world as it is presented by the attraction sure seems a heck of a lot more utopian than the reality in which we live. Case in point: there's no Facebook.

And yeah, the song mentions tears and fears, but somehow neither tears nor fears (nor, most egregiously, Tears for Fears) have ever been represented in the ride. Is it about utopia? No. Does it represent one? Kind of, yeah.

I'm fine with the wheelchairs, though.

AndyS2992

Messages of world peace have never been about perfection.

It takes a lot more than dancing and singing children in traditional garb to convince me that that equates to perfection/utopia.
Indeed.

Like art, (and I think the ride can be considered as such also) I feel people should be free to interpret the ride as they see fit whether it's a ride about a perfect utopia or not or whether it's hell on Earth with creepy scary dolls spooking them around every corner, it's down to the individual and that should be respected.

As long as the over all theme that the ride is trying to convey that everyone is different, yet the same, comes across, I don't think individual interpretation matters as it is a personal preference.

I think some dolls with glasses is in order however.

Californian Elitist

Indeed.

Like art, (and I think the ride can be considered as such also) I feel people should be free to interpret the ride as they see fit whether it's a ride about a perfect utopia or not or whether it's hell on Earth with creepy scary dolls spooking them around every corner, it's down to the individual and that should be respected.

As long as the over all theme that the ride is trying to convey that everyone is different, yet the same, comes across, I don't think individual interpretation matters as it is a personal preference.

I think some dolls with glasses is in order however.
I studied English in college and teach students to back up their claims and arguments with textual evidence for their college papers for a living. You’re free to accept all interpretations, but if there’s no evidence in the song that supports a particular interpretation and therefore doesn’t make sense, I’m going to raise an eyebrow. The ride experience…that’s different.

I agree with the remaining parts of your post.

Incomudro

Maybe they should change the song from “iasw” to Lennon’s “Imagine”…
I’ve been here since 2016, and I NEVER, EVER thought that the inclusion of handicapped children would be found to be problematic…it’s sad, REALLY sad.
There isn't inclusion of handicapped children - only one type of handicapped.
The wheelchair bound do not represent the scope of disabled children.
The inclusion of only one type of disability isn't fair to other children with other disabilities.

Californian Elitist

The inclusion of only one type of disability isn't fair to other children with other disabilities.
The ride also doesn’t include representation of people from every single nation and ethnicity. Is the message lost?

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Disney is doing a good job including wheelchairs. MK today has this display

DSC07323-1.jpg

Smiley/OCD

Sure they do…they represent ALL handicapped children…do the leprechauns represent ALL people of Irish decent?

So what your saying is that if Disney can’t represent EVERY disability, they shouldn’t add the children in wheelchairs? I’m gonna let you in on a little secret…not every country in the world is represented on iasw…OH, THE HORROR!!! Let’s shut the whole ride down

The largest increase of disabilities now is autism…many autistic children show no physical disabilities…in many cases (not all), it’s psychological or emotional, not necessarily physical…how do we represent that portion of the population? If I misrepresent autistic children and families, PLEASE let me know and I will apologize and take this post down, but I would THINK that any addition to represent disabilities would be welcomed.

I think it’s a great addition to the ride…plain and simple.

Joel

Messages of world peace have never been about perfection.
Oh, please. Show me a utopian vision that still involves war and tribal conflict. World peace (to the extent it's even possible) is for all practical purposes synonymous with utopia because it is almost universally (among non-psychopaths, at least) believed to be superior to one in which people die fighting over borders and resources.

If the peace movement is not about creating a more "perfect" (however one chooses to define it) world, then what is it -- a make-work program for political activists?

Californian Elitist

Oh, please. Show me a utopian vision that still involves war and tribal conflict. World peace (to the extent it's even possible) is for all practical purposes synonymous with utopia because it is almost universally (among non-psychopaths, at least) believed to be superior to one in which people die fighting over borders and resources.

If the peace movement is not about creating a more "perfect" (however one chooses to define it) world, then what is it -- a make-work program for political activists?
I stopped after reading “world peace is for all practical purposes synonymous with utopia.” As long as France and England get along, that’ll get rid of diseases, mental health issues, poverty, etc., right?

Please, indeed.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom