Genie+ with a toddler

RememberWhen

Original Poster
Backstory:
My family bought APs back in 2019 for a celebration trip/cruise planned for July 2020. Obviously that never happened. The cruise was rescheduled for February 2022, and was awesome. We activated our passes in February 22 and they’re good for a year.

Since we had passes we planned a few trips. My mom came with me and my two youngest (DD5 and DD1) in July. And my whole family went in August (me, DW, DS10, DD5 and DD1).

Situation:
I had the opportunity (and the airline points) to book one more trip at the end of January. But I can’t pull the big kids out of school. So, this one will be just me and DD1.

We’ll be staying at Saratoga for a week, booked with RCI points. We will walk around, meet characters, and ride the little rides. I’ll have a stroller (it folds down nice and small and I can handle it and DD1 on the busses, no problem. We have a small stroller bag for our “stuff.”

DD loves the characters (or did in August) so we might do a character meal or two. Crystal Palace is on my list, plus maybe one other with classic characters, but I can’t decide which to do. Topolinos is annoying to get to. Cape May doesn’t have Mickey. Tusker house has terrible high chairs (we did that one in August and they’re so low with those tables that her eyes were at table level…). Which leaves Chef Mickeys. Which isn’t my favorite, but might be the best choice.

The Question:
I feel like it makes sense to get Genie+ while I’m there. Waiting in long (more than 20 min) lines won’t fly with a 1yo. Am I crazy for considering this? I’ll only have to buy it for me, so it’s not as expensive as if the rest of the family was coming. We rode basically all the kiddie rides when we were there over the summer. The biggest downside is not being able to ride the same thing again.

Mostly we’re planning to hit MK. I’ve got 3 MK days, 1 EP and 1 AK. Figured we can hop to DHS if we decide we “need” to do that. Though she did really like MMRR. And there’s a chance (not sure what her height will be) that we could do A$$.

We’ll likely rope drop, ride rides, early lunch, nap in the stroller, park hop, ride rides, do dinner, then early to bed. Might try a longer afternoon rest and see fireworks one night.

So, any helpful thoughts? Have I forgotten some big thing related to Genie+?

pdude81

Buy it for MK and Epcot. For DAK you can rope drop NRJ and then right to Safari. DHS prob doesn't have enough G+ with a toddler. It's just the Olaf meet and shows you can get in anyway

MickeyLuv'r

I am not sure why you assume a small child can't tolerate 20min. Though I suppose it depends on if you plan to hold them, or have them stand, how much they will be able to use the stroller, and if the child is closer to 12mos or closer to 24mos.

Having a few small toys is helpful. With a 1-year old though, you won't be going on most of the rides that generate long lines, but you may well want to see the characters. If you plan to see characters, you would be able to get decent use of G+ in MK.

Here's the attractions with no height requirement in G+:
MK: Buzz, Parade, Dumbo, HM (?), IaSW, Jungle Cruise, teacups (?), Meet Cindy/Mickey/Tiana, Philarmagic, Monsters INC, PPan, PotC, Aladdin, Pooh, LM

Epcot: Frozen, Pixar films, Imagination, Living w/Land, Rat, SE, Nemo, Turtle Talk

HS: aliens, B&B show, Disney Junior, Frozen sing-a-long, Indy, Meet Olaf, MMRR, Muppets, TSM (though might be hard to score w/toddler)

AK: FotLK, Bird show, TtbaB, Safari, Meet Disney Pals, Na'vi, Conservation Station

The green attractions are the ones IMO where G+ is reasonably useful. Most days, you should be able to ride Dumbo without a super long wait, for example. There are also a number of attractions that are not G+ that you'd be able to see, like Triceratops Spin.

Though you'd only get one use of G+ per attraction, it may well be worthwhile to re-ride some of the above attractions standby. I would say if you are going to HS, it may well be worthwhile to ride MMRR twice, for example. Since you aren't competing for rides like Test track, you may find it pretty easy to cover all the rides you want.

If you have the energy, I generally suggest hopping is very helpful when it comes to G+. It especially makes sense to hop over IN to MK, because when you hop TO MK, you start fresh. With G+, the longer you stay in a park, the fewer G+ options you have (left to book) in that park.

I generally do not consider G+ in Epcot to be of super value. If Rat is now included though, that helps a bit. Without G+ and no hopping though, you could likely rope drop Frozen or Rat, then you'd really only face much of a wait for 1 of them. You can usually do Spaceship Earth with a minimal wait. IMO, I don't know I'd buy G+ to avoid 1 queue.

With a toddler, there is much to see/do in Epcot that is NOT attractions with queues. You could easily spend time meeting characters, listening to music, snacking, shopping, etc. We find it pretty easy to spend quite a bit of time in the Seas looking at all the aquariums, for example. You can collect all the Kidcot stations, watch the miniature train, see the World Showcase museums, and wander the UK garden maze.

The other thought I had- which I know goes against your plans- but WDW with a toddler and just one adult is going to be a bit of challenge no matter how you slice it. Traveling with an extra set of hands is just much easier. If there is anyone you' are considering inviting to join you, like maybe an aunt, grandparent, cousin, close friend, it might be worth asking. Even something like getting on the bus with a stroller is quite a bit easier with two people.

Last edited:

RememberWhen

Original Poster
I am not sure why you assume a small child can't tolerate 20min. Though I suppose it depends on if you plan to hold them, or have them stand, how much they will be able to use the stroller, and if the child is closer to 12mos or closer to 24mos.

Having a few small toys is helpful. With a 1-year old though, you won't be going on most of the rides that generate long lines, but you may well want to see the characters. If you plan to see characters, you would be able to get decent use of G+ in MK.

Here's the attractions with no height requirement in G+:
MK: Buzz, Parade, Dumbo, HM (?), IaSW, Jungle Cruise, teacups (?), Meet Cindy/Mickey/Tiana, Philarmagic, Monsters INC, PPan, PotC, Aladdin, Pooh, LM

Epcot: Frozen, Pixar films, Imagination, Living w/Land, Rat, SE, Nemo, Turtle Talk

HS: aliens, B&B show, Disney Junior, Frozen sing-a-long, Indy, Meet Olaf, MMRR, Muppets, TSM (though might be hard to score w/toddler)

AK: FotLK, Bird show, TtbaB, Safari, Meet Disney Pals, Na'vi, Conservation Station

The green attractions are the ones IMO where G+ is reasonably useful. Most days, you should be able to ride Dumbo without a super long wait, for example. There are also a number of attractions that are not G+ that you'd be able to see, like Triceratops Spin.

Though you'd only get one use of G+ per attraction, it may well be worthwhile to re-ride some of the above attractions standby. I would say if you are going to HS, it may well be worthwhile to ride MMRR twice, for example. Since you aren't competing for rides like Test track, you may find it pretty easy to cover all the rides you want.

If you have the energy, I generally suggest hopping is very helpful when it comes to G+. It especially makes sense to hop over IN to MK, because when you hop TO MK, you start fresh. With G+, the longer you stay in a park, the fewer G+ options you have (left to book) in that park.

I generally do not consider G+ in Epcot to be of super value. If Rat is now included though, that helps a bit. Without G+ and no hopping though, you could likely rope drop Frozen or Rat, then you'd really only face much of a wait for 1 of them. You can usually do Spaceship Earth with a minimal wait. IMO, I don't know I'd buy G+ to avoid 1 queue.

With a toddler, there is much to see/do in Epcot that is NOT attractions with queues. You could easily spend time meeting characters, listening to music, snacking, shopping, etc. We find it pretty easy to spend quite a bit of time in the Seas looking at all the aquariums, for example. You can collect all the Kidcot stations, watch the miniature train, see the World Showcase museums, and wander the UK garden maze.

The other thought I had- which I know goes against your plans- but WDW with a toddler and just one adult is going to be a bit of challenge no matter how you slice it. Traveling with an extra set of hands is just much easier. If there is anyone you' are considering inviting to join you, like maybe an aunt, grandparent, cousin, close friend, it might be worth asking. Even something like getting on the bus with a stroller is quite a bit easier with two people.
Thanks for all your thoughts and information!

DD will be 19, almost 20 months old. This will be her 4th trip in a year, so we’re not too fussed about doing all the things. I’d just rather not wait in lines for the stuff we do want to see.

It’s definitely just going to be the two of us. She’s happy in a carrier on my back and our stroller folds up nice and small, so we’ll be okay on the busses. We did it back in July and August, so we should be alright.

In July we did Genie+ one day at the MK and it was great. We basically were able to walk onto all the fantasyland rides we wanted to do. We did have my mom and DD5 with us for that trip, so it was a little different.

I suspect we’ll just wing it by day and see what the genie+ price-of-the-day is. Maybe just use it if we know we’re headed to MK.

MickeyLuv'r

Thanks for all your thoughts and information!

DD will be 19, almost 20 months old. This will be her 4th trip in a year, so we’re not too fussed about doing all the things. I’d just rather not wait in lines for the stuff we do want to see.

It’s definitely just going to be the two of us. She’s happy in a carrier on my back and our stroller folds up nice and small, so we’ll be okay on the busses. We did it back in July and August, so we should be alright.

In July we did Genie+ one day at the MK and it was great. We basically were able to walk onto all the fantasyland rides we wanted to do. We did have my mom and DD5 with us for that trip, so it was a little different.

I suspect we’ll just wing it by day and see what the genie+ price-of-the-day is. Maybe just use it if we know we’re headed to MK.
It sounds like both of you know what to expect overall, so that makes a big difference. Closer to 24mos is also helpful as she can now walk, and express her need and all (for the most part).

Genie+ is definitely most useful in MK, IME. Or even better when hopping to include MK.

WDW through the eyes of a toddler though is fun in itself. That is a great age for taking time to dress up and take photos like on the carrousel.

Ooh- we used to bring temporary hair glitter and call it 'pixie dust.' Just be sure to apply it OUTDOORS. You can get it as a Halloween supply maybe clearance? Sally Beauty sells a better quality one, but I don't remember the brand, just that it smelled like sugar cookies.

RememberWhen

Original Poster
It sounds like both of you know what to expect overall, so that makes a big difference. Closer to 24mos is also helpful as she can now walk, and express her need and all (for the most part).

Genie+ is definitely most useful in MK, IME. Or even better when hopping to include MK.

WDW through the eyes of a toddler though is fun in itself. That is a great age for taking time to dress up and take photos like on the carrousel.

Ooh- we used to bring temporary hair glitter and call it 'pixie dust.' Just be sure to apply it OUTDOORS. You can get it as a Halloween supply maybe clearance? Sally Beauty sells a better quality one, but I don't remember the brand, just that it smelled like sugar cookies.
Yes! I should have added that I’m a Disney veteran. I grew up camping at Fort Wilderness and can vaguely remember River Country and 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea. This will be my 30-somethingth trip. Probably. I definitely lost count.

DD can definitely communicate, even if her words aren’t totally understandable yet. And she walks and climbs and runs. She’s a good kiddo, and I think we’ll have a good trip. Even if we do end up in some “long” lines. I think we’ll skip the glitter, but she did love the carousel and Dumbo, so plenty of spinning in our future.

DisneyHead123

Regarding how much time in line a 1-year-old can tolerate - I think this is a 100% "You are the parent, you know your child best" situation. There is a huge normal range at one that varies from "Your child will most definitely have a meltdown if they can't charge ahead of everyone" (cough, totally my kid, cough) to "Your child is super chill and will happily hang out next to you for half an hour". You know them best, so I'd say go with whatever your impression is.

Regarding Genie+ - if you want to leave midday, I'd say expect to get two decent rides out of it, and then decide if the price is worth it. After your first two rides I feel like you either run up against evening wait times, or, nothing being available. If you rope drop a couple of rides, Genie+ a couple, and then do a couple of super low wait time attractions you can probably have a pretty full day with minimal wait time. If you don't do Genie+ you'll likely be limited to rope drop attractions and then super low wait time attractions after that - so just a matter of what is or isn't worth it to you. Honestly for toddlers, I feel like they are just as happy riding the steamboat or doing the water play area in Storybook Circus - so it's probably more about your preference as a parent. If you're really hoping to knock out Peter Pan, Winnie the Pooh, Small World, and Pirates before moving on to the B list attractions, I'd say go for it. If you're happy people watching, getting on the People Mover, and getting a big cup of ice cream, Genie+ probably isn't worth it.

bingobingo

Maybe an unpopular opinion but I find Genie+ useful for not only the more popular rides but also the “kiddie” rides with typically shorter standby wait times. I don’t like “stacking” or waiting the two hours but do like using Genie+ to book immediate or close to immediate return times and then swiping in so I can book the next one. Is Genie+ really necessary for something like Teacups or Alien Swirling Saucers? No, but those 15 minute waits add up IMO, especially when you have to keep to a small child’s schedule who may need an afternoon break and can’t do evening hours. I also use it for the harder to get rides like Remy’s, Frozen, MNMRR, and some coasters (my daughter is 4 so we do a few thrill rides), but try to get those harder rides with an early return time so I can keep using Genie+ for basically everything. If I need to I book a ride for further out and play around with modifying for a few minutes to get a better time. It usually works pretty quickly. I do think it’s worth it even if you’re only doing less popular rides, especially if you’re buying for just one person.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom