DCL Believe - Tinkerbell light

drkokintz

Original Poster
I've seen the Believe show on Disney Cruise Line twice, and I cannot figure out how they do the Tinkerbell light effect.
Near the end of the show, Tinkerbell (as a green point of light) comes out and dances above the audience's head. It's hard to describe, but if it's a laser light, I can't figure out what the laser is hitting, and if it's a self-illuminated prop, I can't figure out how it's suspended and controlled.
Anyone know anything about this. It may seem minor, but it's one of the most impressive theatrical effects I've ever seen.

ItlngrlBella

Is it something projected on strategically placed scrims above your heads?

Here is the full show on YouTube - video quality is "eh." My vote is scrim projections.

Last edited:

drkokintz

Original Poster
It's possible, but I looked pretty hard for something like that. I looked through the video and they don't seem to show the effect. Probably because it doesn't happen on stage, but above the audience.

Mstutzman

Pretty sure it is a miniature Foy rig (Peter Pan) with an illuminated end. I was able to make it out the last time I saw the show. Basically a traveler (horizontal) with a vertical motor. Really great effect and so simple!

JoeCamel

Pretty sure it is a miniature Foy rig (Peter Pan) with an illuminated end. I was able to make it out the last time I saw the show. Basically a traveler (horizontal) with a vertical motor. Really great effect and so simple!
Replying to a 7 year old post might add to the conversation but I suspect the equipment is getting worn so the effect is becoming evident

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom