Good news for cancelling ADRs! Update - confirmed! 2 hr cancellation window

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Not sure about this yet, wording still says there is a $10 fee.

1667485966260.png

Doberge

True Bayou Magic
Premium Member
This is a welcome change! Can cancel 2 hours ahead in the app and not get charged. :)

I like to know more than 2 hours ahead where I'm going so I prefer the 24 hour policy that made difficult reservations easier to find. Reservations may still be easier to find but windows may be tighter and my family is less likely to haul it to another park or resort for dinner when today we might plan dinner for the following night and plan our park hopping around that.

But I can see many would likely love a change.

phillip9698

That’s not good news. That means all the people hoarding reservations don’t have to release them in a manner that gives others enough time to claim and plan for them.

Now people sitting on multiple character breakfasts can hold them to the last couple hours. And trust me there are a lot of those being held.

At least before I could know the night before where I was going to eat. Now you could be on your way to one resort for breakfast and see a Toppolinos pop up out the blue.

Epcot is going to be a CIRCUS. There are people holding Via Napoli, Akershus, San Angel Inn, Le Cellier, and Space 220 reservations. They are going to hold them until the last minute now.

Last edited:

DisneyfanMA

I guess this isn't official yet, but if they did make a change it would be logical to allow for waiving of the fee as well, otherwise what was the point? the blog claims:

"Now, guests who cancel more than 2 hours before the dining reservation can do so within the My Disney Experience app without the need to contact Disney. Canceling in the My Disney Experience app also avoids the no-show fee which is typically $10 per person.

Disney has not [YET??] updated its dining reservation policy, which still reads: You must cancel at least one day prior to your reservation to avoid a per person cancellation fee. If you fail to cancel timely and are a no show, the credit card provided at the time of reservation will be charged $10.00 per person"

That said, won't this make it easier for people to stack ADRs and not release them, thus making it even harder for other guests to get them?

I think Disney should somehow limit guests from stacking ADRs personally. Don't know how logistically they would do it (if someone books ADR for differing times on the same day, how do you know they don't actually want to do lunch AND dinner for example, rather than just cancel one of them?) I guess you could have a policy of 1 ADR per day per guest and leave it at that. Or limit it to 2. Regardless of time or location. I dont know but I think getting ADRs is too difficult.

dreday3

Original Poster
Well if true about the fee being cancelled at 2 hours online, I think it's good news.

Last trip I had to call guest services to get a fee refunded because we couldn't make our ADR the next day, couldn't cancel online and couldn't get through on the phone.

The vast majority of restaurants this will be fine.

phillip9698

They need to limit you to one ADR per dining period. One breakfast, one lunch, and one dinner. If they are going to drastically cut the amount of advance time needed to cancel, they must do something about the hoarding of ADRs. It makes no sense to allow people to have dining reservations for every hour of the day to the most popular restaurants, and then allow them to dump them a couple hours before the due time.

1420Elexismc

I would think they would have to come up with some way to combat people holding too many reservations per day (specifically speaking of people who hoard them) otherwise there is a possibility of a restaurant thinking they are fully booked for a certain timeframe, but then couldn't mass cancellations happen throughout the day-potentially losing them money if they can't fill the tables? I can't imagine that is something they would want to risk, unless they aren't worried about that sort of thing.

ToTBellHop

They need to limit you to one ADR per dining period. One breakfast, one lunch, and one dinner. If they are going to drastically cut the amount of advance time needed to cancel, they must do something about the hoarding of ADRs. It makes no sense to allow people to have dining reservations for every hour of the day to the most popular restaurants, and then allow them to dump them a couple hours before the due time.
They would need a carve out for a place like Oga’s.

You already can’t be booked twice within about 90 min either direction.

phillip9698

They would need a carve out for a place like Oga’s.

You already can’t be booked twice within about 90 min either direction.

You just cant book within 60 minutes of the start of the reservation. Its very easy to stack reservations with that time limitation.

Thats just the beginning. The true hoarders, and there are a lot of them out there, dont link other adults to their dining reservations. So a husband and wife can hold an 8am reservation for Toppolinos and Chef Mickey. Since the system doesnt reconginze the couple as being together, they can double the amount of ADRs they hoard.

ToTBellHop

You just cant book within 60 minutes of the start of the reservation. Its very easy to stack reservations with that time limitation.

Thats just the beginning. The true hoarders, and there are a lot of them out there, dont link other adults to their dining reservations. So a husband and wife can hold an 8am reservation for Toppolinos and Chef Mickey. Since the system doesnt reconginze the couple as being together, they can double the amount of ADRs they hoard.
They can’t stop everything but I do understand a new level of hell was opened up for such individuals. They wake up every morning of the afterlife at 5:45 am but ADRs are never available!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom