Genie Plus-Really work the app!

donnylambb

Original Poster
Genie plus-We are coming back during Christmas how many rides can you Genie plus in a day if you really work the app

MickeyLuv'r

That is going to be variable. It depends which park, how early you arrive/late you stay, and what attractions you want. Oh, also the weather. Also, how many fellow park goers buy it.

IMO, it isn't really necessary in Epcot if you arrive early, and especially if you can hit one of the popular rides during early entry.

On the other end, using G+ in HS was limited. Either you get Slinky or you don't. If you don't, then G+ isn't all that great in HS.

G+ is most useful in MK. We also had pretty good luck in AK, but it was not a high crowd day. Later we hopped to MK, so we made use of it in two parks.

WDW just raised the price though, and Christmas week will be peak pricing.

Another aspect of it is that you can't modify your pass once you choose a time, as you could with FP+. You can cancel, and choose a new time, but you might not get a better result. It is somewhat a gamble when you cancel and try to choose a new time.

It pays to add an app called Atomic Clock to your phone, because clocking in at exactly 7am is helpful.

Last edited:

MickeyLuv'r

Mind it sometimes pays to cancel a booked pass. the first time i used it, I was afraid to cancel. But sometimes when you book a pass, you think you are booking 10am return, but then when you hit okay- the time immediately changes to like 2pm. If that happens, it is probably worth cancelling and trying again, unless you are booking Slinky. Christmas week, you'll have mere seconds to grab one. GoG will also go quickly. Using two phones and the Atomic app made a big difference. there are also drop times throughout the day, or were. They tend to occur at 17 and 47 minutes past the hour. That's a good time to be looking for a G+ pass, or was. WDW might have changed the drop times.

Kingoglow

We don't have an idea of what Genie+ take rate will look like at Christmas. The take rate has been so much higher this year than last year. The answer will also be park dependent.

In MK, you can likely get a fair amount of rides booked with Genie+ if you are smart with your usage. Lets say 8 rides.
In HS, you might be lucky to get 4 rides with it; more if you skip SDD.

Epcot and AK don't matter too much as you can probably do most of the park with Genie+; but lets say 3 rides

DisneyfanMA

We don't have an idea of what Genie+ take rate will look like at Christmas. The take rate has been so much higher this year than last year. The answer will also be park dependent.

In MK, you can likely get a fair amount of rides booked with Genie+ if you are smart with your usage. Lets say 8 rides.
In HS, you might be lucky to get 4 rides with it; more if you skip SDD.

Epcot and AK don't matter too much as you can probably do most of the park with Genie+; but lets say 3 rides

Can you really get even that many?I was thinking 4-5 at MK and 2-3 at HS based on what I've seen, at least if you try to go for the ones worthwhile to use on -aka the popular rides with long lines.

Kingoglow

Can you really get even that many?I was thinking 4-5 at MK and 2-3 at HS based on what I've seen, at least if you try to go for the ones worthwhile to use on -aka the popular rides with long lines.

I know what you are saying. It is difficult to answer questions like this for other people because we do not know what their family likes or how they vacation. Everyone's list of what is a worthwhile ride will be different. Here is how I would manage my day:

If someone stays on site and takes part of Early morning magic, you can knock out Mine Train and Space (the park will likely be open by the time you exit), or alternatively, you can buy ILL for Mine Train and do Space and Peter Pan, which is what I would do.

Then I would walk to Big Thunder and then Haunted Mansion (one of which I would have booked my first LL for). After Mansion I would just start 'really working the app' as stated in the OP. Take anything that is nearby and close to the current time.

Rough order I would aim for:
Small World
Under the Sea
Dumbo Barnstormer
Tea Cups
Buzz
<lunch>
Pirates (might be a tough LL to get, I don't mind waiting on a hot day inside the indoor queue... This is also a good ride to wait in stand by if you run into a G+ bottleneck and has to wait the 120 minutes to book again. This and Pooh)
Pooh
ILL Mine Train

After Pooh, I would just take what is left and enjoy some of the shows that are indoors. Again, it is Christmas so who knows what the park will look like.

donnylambb

Original Poster
That is going to be variable. It depends which park, how early you arrive/late you stay, and what attractions you want. Oh, also the weather. Also, how many fellow park goers buy it.

IMO, it isn't really necessary in Epcot if you arrive early, and especially if you can hit one of the popular rides during early entry.

On the other end, using G+ in HS was limited. Either you get Slinky or you don't. If you don't, then G+ isn't all that great in HS.

G+ is most useful in MK. We also had pretty good luck in AK, but it was not a high crowd day. Later we hopped to MK, so we made use of it in two parks.

WDW just raised the price though, and Christmas week will be peak pricing.

Another aspect of it is that you can't modify your pass once you choose a time, as you could with FP+. You can cancel, and choose a new time, but you might not get a better result. It is somewhat a gamble when you cancel and try to choose a new time.

It pays to add an app called Atomic Clock to your phone, because clocking in at exactly 7am is helpful.
thanks you so much we are going at Christmas and wanted a reality check. lol

donnylambb

Original Poster
I know what you are saying. It is difficult to answer questions like this for other people because we do not know what their family likes or how they vacation. Everyone's list of what is a worthwhile ride will be different. Here is how I would manage my day:

If someone stays on site and takes part of Early morning magic, you can knock out Mine Train and Space (the park will likely be open by the time you exit), or alternatively, you can buy ILL for Mine Train and do Space and Peter Pan, which is what I would do.

Then I would walk to Big Thunder and then Haunted Mansion (one of which I would have booked my first LL for). After Mansion I would just start 'really working the app' as stated in the OP. Take anything that is nearby and close to the current time.

Rough order I would aim for:
Small World
Under the Sea
Dumbo Barnstormer
Tea Cups
Buzz
<lunch>
Pirates (might be a tough LL to get, I don't mind waiting on a hot day inside the indoor queue... This is also a good ride to wait in stand by if you run into a G+ bottleneck and has to wait the 120 minutes to book again. This and Pooh)
Pooh
ILL Mine Train

After Pooh, I would just take what is left and enjoy some of the shows that are indoors. Again, it is Christmas so who knows what the park will look like.
we like it all but hate the lines and in the past my wife was a genius with the fast pass app. Sounds like you have to be on the app all day.
Thanks for the reply it really helped a lot

MickeyLuv'r

In HS and Epcot, you might only pull 2-3, but in MK you should be able to pull more, but it really depends on what other, I'm going to say compromises, you can make. ADR's are a bit of a roadblock. Also, you can maybe get a fairly big ride early in the day.

The sorta strategy we've fallen into is to skip Rise and 7DMT. I don't think either is worth $22. They are also not worth 2 hours of waiting in the standby line.

If we just skip those two attractions though, we free up a good chunk of time.

G+ also involves some gambling. IMO, the most effective way to use G+, is to focus more on maximizing the number of passes, not aiming to get the TOP e-rides. For the first pass, yes. Aim high. After that though, we seemed to do pretty well aiming to get a pass we could use right away.

In my mind, G+ also favors hopping. You can only G+ each attraction once per day, so by 4pm your supply of possible attractions dwindles if you stay put.

Kingoglow

It really depends on what other, I'm going to say compromises, you can make. ADR's are a bit of a roadblock.
This is very true. My Genie+ days in HS are much better when I skip SDD, which for my family is an overrated ride. If you skip SDD and rope drop Smugglers run and get a ILL$ for Rise, all of a sudden, Genie+ works for everything else in the park. All we had to do is skip a kiddie coaster that we don't really enjoy that much.

Genie+'s biggest draw back, as MickeyLuv'r says, is its incompatibility with ADRs. Guests that book ADRs in the Genie+ days are faced with a question, Do you forego the value of money you spent on Genie+ to enjoy a sit down meal for 2-3 hours? or do you risk paying $10 per person by potentially showing up late to and ADR because you has a LL reservation? These two systems do not work together and Disney failed to incorporate non ride reservations into its Genie AI so it doesn't know when you plan on eating.

donnylambb

Original Poster
This is very true. My Genie+ days in HS are much better when I skip SDD, which for my family is an overrated ride. If you skip SDD and rope drop Smugglers run and get a ILL$ for Rise, all of a sudden, Genie+ works for everything else in the park. All we had to do is skip a kiddie coaster that we don't really enjoy that much.

Genie+'s biggest draw back, as MickeyLuv'r says, is its incompatibility with ADRs. Guests that book ADRs in the Genie+ days are faced with a question, Do you forego the value of money you spent on Genie+ to enjoy a sit down meal for 2-3 hours? or do you risk paying $10 per person by potentially showing up late to and ADR because you has a LL reservation? These two systems do not work together and Disney failed to incorporate non ride reservations into its Genie AI so it doesn't know when you plan on eating.
thank you this is very helpful

pdude81

They'll let you in the LL after a table service meal if you missed your window

Chi84

Premium Member
They'll let you in the LL after a table service meal if you missed your window
Disney does try to be as accommodating as possible depending on the circumstances. That’s why so many of their policies are vague or unwritten - they want to give CMs discretion to help people where warranted.

DisneyfanMA

I have 1 ADR every park and I'm enjoying the heck out of genie plus. I bought my first ILL as well today. I don't know seems easy enough. You don't book something in your dining window. (I figure my sit down will be approx 90 min). In some cases i delayed my G+ booking til the time was amenable. Also the 1 hour check in period for LL is very helpful.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom