News Pacific Wharf to be Reimagined into San Fransokyo

choco choco

This is another one of those announced overlays where I'm like... was Big Hero 6 really that popular to justify a land themed to it? A dedicated meeting space is fine but this makes me feel like they're banking on this IP having lasting popularity over the next 10-20 years.

Unless modern Disney doesn't think that far ahead anymore.

Not only that, but: How does this land make money? How does theming this to Big Hero Six incite people to spend more money there? What are they buying?

The whole IP incursion thing has never made sense to me. Just because something from a movie is slapped onto some buildings...how does that mean it makes money? I've never seen anyone show the work on how that logic works out.

Model3 McQueen

In the Parks
No
Not only that, but: How does this land make money? How does theming this to Big Hero Six incite people to spend more money there? What are they buying?

The whole IP incursion thing has never made sense to me. Just because something from a movie is slapped onto some buildings...how does that mean it makes money? I've never seen anyone show the work on how that logic works out.

I think it's about the brand awareness for merchandising and familiarity to get you more comfortable with the IP. After a few rides of InCrEdIcOaStEr, you'll wanna watch the movies, buy the gear, love the property and demand more.

lazyboy97o

It’s like stealing underpants. You don’t know how it leads to profit, you just trust that it does.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
No shortage of Disney parks optimism with you, Mr Irish, is there..? 😉
And? Not sure how this is a bad thing or even some sort of "dig" on me.

I mean I could spew negativity lamenting everything like everyone else but then what does that do but turn this into another RatChat forum. So why put negative emotion into things I can't control? There is already plenty of negative things in my life that I have to deal with. Disney Parks are one of the few parts that brings me joy.

Model3 McQueen

In the Parks
No
And? Not sure how this is a bad thing or even some sort of "dig" on me.

I mean I could spew negativity lamenting everything like everyone else but then what does that do but turn this into another RatChat forum. So why put negative emotion into things I can't control? There is already plenty of negative things in my life that I have to deal with. Disney Parks are one of the few parts that brings me joy.

Dude I'm playing with you it's all good.

choco choco

After a few rides of InCrEdIcOaStEr, you'll wanna watch the movies, buy the gear, love the property and demand more.

Demand more what? Just as a thought experiment, I think the California Screamin' coaster was very popular when it was just California Screamin'. Plenty of people bought California Screamin' merchandise. Now that it is Incredicoaster, it makes more than California Screamin' because....what? Is it proven that more people buy Incredicoaster merchandise than they did when it was just California Screamin'? Is it proven that people are inspired to watch Incredibles stuff after riding the Incredicoaster? How is that measured? In Blu-rays? Disney+ subscriptions? Has viewership of Incredibles property gone up since the advent of the Incredicoaster? Have people indicated that they watched the Incredibles because of the Incredicoaster?

Let's go the other way. People watch the Incredibles and want to ride an Incredibles ride. Seems fair enough. So you build a $100 million dollar Incredibles ride. But just because it has the Incredibles on it, does that mean more people want to come to a park? If you built a $100 million non-IP attraction, are we sure the money earned is greater if it is a $100 million Incredibles attraction? How would you know? Seems like you would have to build two $100 million dollar attractions in separate parks, and then track over time to see who is coming to which park more, and then tie the reason for entering that park to specifically that attraction.

I would guess that, if both attractions are at similar quality levels and similar merchandising and dining potential, that only initially will the IP attraction get a boost, and only if it is some sort of really beloved IP (i.e. Harry Potter) with strong theme park potential (not Big Hero Six, lol). But over time, the non-IP property will become its own draw, and bring in just about the same amount (i.e. Knott's Ghost Town Alive).

Model3 McQueen

In the Parks
No
Demand more what? Just as a thought experiment, I think the California Screamin' coaster was very popular when it was just California Screamin'. Plenty of people bought California Screamin' merchandise. Now that it is Incredicoaster, it makes more than California Screamin' because....what? Is it proven that more people buy Incredicoaster merchandise than they did when it was just California Screamin'? Is it proven that people are inspired to watch Incredibles stuff after riding the Incredicoaster? How is that measured? In Blu-rays? Disney+ subscriptions? Has viewership of Incredibles property gone up since the advent of the Incredicoaster? Have people indicated that they watched the Incredibles because of the Incredicoaster?

Let's go the other way. People watch the Incredibles and want to ride an Incredibles ride. Seems fair enough. So you build a $100 million dollar Incredibles ride. But just because it has the Incredibles on it, does that mean more people want to come to a park? If you built a $100 million non-IP attraction, are we sure the money earned is greater if it is a $100 million Incredibles attraction? How would you know? Seems like you would have to build two $100 million dollar attractions in separate parks, and then track over time to see who is coming to which park more, and then tie the reason for entering that park to specifically that attraction.

I would guess that, if both attractions are at similar quality levels and similar merchandising and dining potential, that only initially will the IP attraction get a boost, and only if it is some sort of really beloved IP (i.e. Harry Potter) with strong theme park potential (not Big Hero Six, lol). But over time, the non-IP property will become its own draw, and bring in just about the same amount (i.e. Knott's Ghost Town Alive).

It was just a thought. No argument from me. You wont catch me dead defending modern Disney and their moronic crusade to destroy everything and replace them with IP.

I miss Tower and Screamin so much.

TP2000

Pacific Wharf hasn’t been important to me since they got rid of the Mission Tortilla Factory.

Remember how on your birthday they'd give you a whole tortilla, not just 1/8th of a tortilla?

You had to tell the nice lady working the tortilla machine that it was your birthday. She'd never ask for ID for proof, but you had to have the guts to lie to the nice lady about your birthday. Or actually waste your birthday by going to DCA.

Paul Pressler and the nice folks at Mission Tortilla Company had truly immersed us in Disney magic.

But now, it's all gone. And not even coming back in this new Baymax Mini Golf overlay. :(

cheezbat

Man…Disney IP/Pixar Adventure sure is a fun park! Good thing they’re dropping the California from the name….oh wait…they aren’t…

Where is the California in this park anymore?

Consumer

Man…Disney IP/Pixar Adventure sure is a fun park! Good thing they’re dropping the California from the name….oh wait…they aren’t…

Much as I hate the treatment of DCA by corporate, at least San Fransokyo is a sci fi variant of San Francisco.

CaptinEO

I kinda like it lol, guess im in the minority
I do too. Don't even remember big hero six, but it's not like the DCA fake Sanfrancisco is some marvel of engineering and creativity. It will look more fun and more like a themepark with this change.

As long as we keep Ghiradelli and the bread bowl place I'm happy.

Californian Elitist

With the exception of Avengers Campus, the park is still “Californian,” in a fantasy sense. There’s California inspiration, but none of it is truly realistic. That version of DCA has been dead for a long time.

flynnibus

Premium Member

Selling overpriced IP-tied food and merch offerings. The theming also acts as it's own draw to bring people in to look or seek something out. That's impressions and opportunities... exactly what walk up businesses need.

I mean, take your logic to it's conclusion... why is this Pacific Wharf in the first place? Why not just let it be a mall food court like you find elsewhere?

Phroobar

I do too. Don't even remember big hero six, but it's not like the DCA fake Sanfrancisco is some marvel of engineering and creativity. It will look more fun and more like a themepark with this change.

As long as we keep Ghiradelli and the bread bowl place I'm happy.
Feels like junk to me. For the million they are spending on this, they could fix the effects on Indy and other rides.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom