News Zootopia and Moana Blue Sky concepts for Disney's Animal Kingdom

UNCgolf

Probably not worth worrying about Zootopia too much. They’ll need to actually build the Moana land before even starting. Plans could change 15 times before then.

Zootopia may be old enough at that point that they no longer consider it a viable option, unless they can easily reuse assets from the Shanghai ride and save significant money or the potential Disney+ show is a massive hit.

doctornick

Probably not worth worrying about Zootopia too much. They’ll need to actually build the Moana land before even starting. Plans could change 15 times before then.
Sure. I’d just be happier if a blue sky thing was a Pandora addition as opposed to a Dinosaur replacement. They could work on that at the same time as Moana for a big splashy combined opening without hurting capacity as much in the interim

_caleb

Zootopia may be old enough at that point that they no longer consider it a viable option, unless they can easily reuse the Shanghai ride and save significant money or the potential Disney+ show is a massive hit.
Have we seen them really try to leverage D+ series in support of a parks ride/land yet? I can see them giving it a go with Zootopia.

RSoxNo1

Want to put this here to avoid confusion. I’ve been told this is being planned to open in 2025. The MK project is more blue sky.
So basically they could break ground on the Moana stuff soon but can’t take DINOSAUR offline as well. They also probably want to see if the Zootopia ride in Shanghai is a success. Is this supposed to be a clone?

Fwiw, on the way out I saw Chris Beatty talking to someone. I leaned in, got within a foot of his ear and said “Zootopia doesn’t belong in the Animal Kingdom”. I didn’t break stride, he turned and looked and I kept walking.

UNCgolf

Have we seen them really try to leverage D+ series in support of a parks ride/land yet? I can see them giving it a go with Zootopia.

I could see them trying it at some point with some IP, but I think a Zootopia ride at AK is too far off to be useful. I don't think they'd hold off on the Disney+ show for several years for potential synergy.

Tom P.

I'm in favor of adding Zootopia to Animal Kingdom. I know that's not the popular viewpoint around here, but I'm sticking with it.

I'm not thrilled about Moana, though. I think having it be a major part of Epcot and Animal Kingdom both is too much.

doctornick

Well there’s a Tiana show coming too so there’s that. Some have suggested it might have been developed to keep that IP more prominent

ToTBellHop

So basically they could break ground on the Moana stuff soon but can’t take DINOSAUR offline as well. They also probably want to see if the Zootopia ride in Shanghai is a success. Is this supposed to be a clone?

Fwiw, on the way out I saw Chris Beatty talking to someone. I leaned in, got within a foot of his ear and said “Zootopia doesn’t belong in the Animal Kingdom”. I didn’t break stride, he turned and looked and I kept walking.
They would not build both parts concurrently.

Not exact clones since the ride systems aren’t identical but what they slapped in there as a placeholder would have similar sets.

I’m sure they’d also love to build the Coco, Encanto, and villain attractions elsewhere.

SNS

So basically they could break ground on the Moana stuff soon but can’t take DINOSAUR offline as well.

I can see how that would be the case. They would wait until they have the Moana ride to close the Dinosaur ride for the changeover.

Jrb1979

Simply untrue. They will not let 2025 and 2026 pass without a major addition. This is literally the most eligible spot in all of WDW since it is in a currently-used guest area, it’s cleared, it’s ready to go, and it is in the park that is next in line for an addition.

2027, we’d be talking about Zootopia if it is built and the MK expansion being well under way. Those ideas are aspirational but I’d expect something in MK this decade.
With the rate they build things they needed to announce today. I realize a lot of you still have some faith in Disney.

UNCgolf

Not exact clones since the ride systems aren’t identical but what they slapped in there as a placeholder would have similar sets.

I thought they were different ride systems but wasn't sure. That alone could be enough to make them decide it's not worth the expense -- even if they could reuse most of the sets, there would have to be changes to what actually happens to accommodate the different systems.

doctornick

I can see how that would be the case. They would wait until they have the Moana ride to close the Dinosaur ride for the changeover.
Yeah that’s the thing. I don’t really see how they could get by closing Triceratops Spin and Dinosaur down for an extended period to be replaced. The park simply doesn’t have enough to make that work.

ToTBellHop

Yeah that’s the thing. I don’t really see how they could get by closing Triceratops Spin and Dinosaur down for an extended period to be replaced. The park simply doesn’t have enough to make that work.
It also simply doesn’t make fiscal sense. These projects cost a fortune. Get return for Moana and then phase 2, if it happens, a few years later.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom