I injury at Raglan Road

Chi84

Premium Member
The medical record for the hospital visit usually suffices for documentation of the accident. I don't know why the OP would need a separate report from the restaurant.
And if the OP is trying to apply for medical leave or disability related to the incident, that usually comes from a subsequent health care visit to determine the need for medical leave and/or work place accomodations.
I've filled out a lot of these forms over the years, and they never required any kind of incident report from the scene of the accident.
I thought reporting the accident to the restaurant would be more for the purpose of officially notifying them to contact their insurer to start the ball rolling on a potential claim. In any event, OP hasn't checked back so they've probably figured out what they're going to do by now.

Communicora

Premium Member
I am sorry to hear of your injury and hope you feel better soon.

Can I ask why you wish to report the incident? From your description of what happened, it seems to have been a freak accident rather than anyone or anything’s fault. Sorry if I’ve misunderstood.
If they have health insurance through a US company, said company will likely have someone contact them to ask if the injury was caused by an accident and where, so they might as well get the information together now.

JIMINYCR

Sometimes people hear or read incomplete information about settlements or lawsuits and get wrong-headed ideas. Once things are properly explained to them, they most often understand and back off the idea of filing baseless lawsuits.
Yes but unfortunately there are enough huge payouts that are in the news that the odds are in their favor that unless theres a blatant case of a scam injury that a quick settlement can be offered. People know that many times its worth it for businesses to pay to make it go away fast.
Who knows....Raglan may have video or witnesses that can refute the OP's case of negligence. We may never hear what comes of this.
Although this isnt a Disney case, in Disneys cases there are many suits that never see the light of day from either being fought and won, settled and kept quiet or dropped.

Heppenheimer

I thought reporting the accident to the restaurant would be more for the purpose of officially notifying them to contact their insurer to start the ball rolling on a potential claim. In any event, OP hasn't checked back so they've probably figured out what they're going to do by now.
From a purely medical leave and disability perspective (not liability), the insurer is unlikely to be interested in finding fault. Unless there was some particularly gross negligence involved that the OP didn't mention, it wouldn't be worth the insurer's legal costs to pursue payment from another party. They'll want the medical records, first and foremost.

Chi84

Premium Member
Yes but unfortunately there are enough huge payouts that are in the news that the odds are in their favor that unless theres a blatant case of a scam injury that a quick settlement can be offered. People know that many times its worth it for businesses to pay to make it go away fast.
Who knows....Raglan may have video or witnesses that can refute the OP's case of negligence. We may never hear what comes of this.
Although this isnt a Disney case, in Disneys cases there are many suits that never see the light of day from either being fought and won, settled and kept quiet or dropped.
Despite what is in the news, negligence cases are hard to prove and seldom get very far. The burden is on the plaintiff to prove negligence, not on Raglan to refute it, and it’s a heavy burden to meet.

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
I was at Raglan Road on July 18. I was sitting on the bar stool so I could see the dancers better. Unfortunately, when I turned around to see them, my foot slipped on the floor as I stepped down to stand. I fell. Paramedics came and told my son to put me in the car and take me to the emergency room. When I screamed out in pain, paramedics were recalled by the Disney officer and I was transported to ORMC. My c1 neck vertebra was broken. Who do I report this to at Disney? The Raglan Road mgr called my son the next day to see how I was, but I have not heard from anyone at WDW. I called guest services and they did not have any record of an incident that evening. I looked at some website that said I should file a report, but where does it go? No, I have not contacted a lawyer.
Disney isn't the owner or operator of Raglan Road, they're merely a landlord.

You need to be in contact with Raglan Road who should have insurance to cover for this. If you want to lawyer up, it's your right, but they will generally cause delay in the process, and will charge you 1/3 of whatever you get for the privilege.

Chi84

Premium Member
If you want to lawyer up, it's your right, but they will generally cause delay in the process, and will charge you 1/3 of whatever you get for the privilege.
People won’t listen to this. My father-in-law was seriously injured while working on a highway by a woman who drove through the barrier cones. Clear liability in a policy limits case, but he wouldn’t listen to his son and daughter-in-law (insurance adjuster and attorney) and insisted on hiring an attorney.

The insurance company paid out the policy limits and the attorney took one-third. My father-in-law was shocked!

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery - For my El Camino
Premium Member
People won’t listen to this. My father-in-law was seriously injured while working on a highway by a woman who drove through the barrier cones. Clear liability in a policy limits case, but he wouldn’t listen to his son and daughter-in-law (insurance adjuster and attorney) and insisted on hiring an attorney.

The insurance company paid out the policy limits and the attorney took one-third. My father-in-law was shocked!

And the attorney probably got costs. Takes the award to the recipient down to maybe 55-60% of the award. Depending on the time spent

mkt

Premium Member
I assume this is true only if Raglan Road accepts, or is shown to have, liability for the accident.

Florida's premises liability law will decide this. A slip and fall with a documented injury and evidence, like what the OP has mentioned, will likely be the Raglan Road's responsibility.

I worked for several years for a major multinational insurance company and my wife's a managing coverage counsel who works next to me from home every day. I've either dealt with or have heard any possible insurance scenario you can imagine, and most times they'll pay out to the limits of the policy, without having to involve legal counsel. In fact, the moment the words "I'm contacting an attorney" or even "I might have to get an attorney" exit your mouth, they'll generally stop speaking with you and will only speak with your attorney - merely implying that you MIGHT get an attorney is enough for them to refuse to speak with you.

mkt

Premium Member

I was involved in a claim against Lyft back in 2019. My wife, a friend, and myself were passengers in one of their cars, their driver ran a stop sign, and we were injured.

My wife and I dealt directly with their insurance company - after signing some paperwork, our medical bills were paid for, and we were satisfied. They literally paid us via Zelle - kind of crazy.

Our friend opted to go with a personal injury attorney that advertises across Florida and has not yet seen a cent three years later.

LittleBuford

Florida's premises liability law will decide this. A slip and fall with a documented injury and evidence, like what the OP has mentioned, will likely be the Raglan Road's responsibility.

I worked for several years for a major multinational insurance company and my wife's a managing coverage counsel who works next to me from home every day. I've either dealt with or have heard any possible insurance scenario you can imagine, and most times they'll pay out to the limits of the policy, without having to involve legal counsel. In fact, the moment the words "I'm contacting an attorney" or even "I might have to get an attorney" exit your mouth, they'll generally stop speaking with you and will only speak with your attorney - merely implying that you MIGHT get an attorney is enough for them to refuse to speak with you.
Thank you for this interesting context. Could you please clarify the basis for the bolded statement? Why would it be Raglan Road's responsibility if a customer simply slipped without any external factors causing them to do so?

LittleBuford

I think first-time posters are too readily accused of trolling. Perhaps the OP got the answer they were looking for and decided they had nothing else to add. I can't see anything sensational or controversial enough about their post to think they were just trying to stir the pot.

Last edited by a moderator:

mkt

Premium Member
Thank you for this interesting context. Could you please clarify the basis for the bolded statement? Why would it be Raglan Road's responsibility if a customer simply slipped without any external factors causing them to do so?

I’m going to play both sides here, one argument in favor of Raglan Road is that they are a bar, which has inherent risk of there being liquid on the floor for one person to slip on.

But the argument against them is that due to their location inside of a major tourist resort makes them a tourist destination, they did not take the new care to ensure a safe environment for all of their invitees, also known as the general public.

But that’s if you involve attorneys. A slip and fall like this is so routine for an insurance adjuster as to be boring. They would likely pay it out with a little investigation. Literally submit the paperwork, and get a check.

Club Cooloholic

I think first-time posters are too readily accused of trolling. Perhaps the OP got the answer they were looking for and decided they had nothing else to add. I can't see anything sensational or controversial enough about their post to think they were just trying to stir the pot.
Really? A first time poster comes here, not a legal forum to ask this kind of thing?

mkt

Premium Member

Sorry, I meant to include this, but I am doing this by talk texting because I am at the parks. Additional context, based off of the facts on the post, if they are presented accurately, it’s a slip and fall. Again, if they are presented accurately, there is evidence of an injury as a result of that slip and fall from the hospital.

That should be enough for an insurance adjuster to pay out on what is a pretty routine claim.

LittleBuford

I’m going to play both sides here, one argument in favor of Raglan Road is that they are a bar, which has inherent risk of there being liquid on the floor for one person to slip on.

But the argument against them is that due to their location inside of a major tourist resort makes them a tourist destination, they did not take the new care to ensure a safe environment for all of their invitees, also known as the general public.

But that’s if you involve attorneys. A slip and fall like this is so routine for an insurance adjuster as to be boring. They would likely pay it out with a little investigation. Literally submit the paperwork, and get a check.
Thanks. All very interesting and informative!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom