Disney Genie and Genie+ at Walt Disney World

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
While I would love to pick a time for each LL, just like getting a movie ticket, the system would fall apart if they did that.

Can you imagine that by 9:00 AM all the slots between 11:00 AM and 3:00 PM are taken for everything in the park?

It would also completely defeat the idea that G+ is trying to push crowds towards less crowded rides. If that's a desired concept for guests is a different question. It's been stated this is one of the goals of the system.
I thought the goal of genie (non paid recommendations) was the part the “attempts” to spread crowds out more. Even though no one follows it.

crazy4disney

In the Parks
No
Sort of, it's probably not that simple. There's a bunch of nuanced impacts that will happen.

The old way, at one extreme, a park hopper with a pass not to MK could have made 1 LL for 2:00 at 7:00 AM. Then, again at 10:00, 12:00, and 2:00. That's 3 LL reserved before they could be there and 4 by 2:00. All for return times after 2:00.

For the person who was in the park already that's 3 slots removed from inventory that they never had any access to at all. Even if they made selections at the exact same times.

With the change, the hopper cannot reserve those slots at MK. This leaves them 2 options. First, wait for something to get to after 2:00 and reserve it, then wait 2 hours and repeat. That pattern is likely to delay selections that they only get 1 or 2, certainly nothing at 7:00 AM, deferring when they make each selection. Second, they reserve something at the park they're at for use closer to the time they're reserving it. That will shift load into the park they're in. However, the park pass is already managing crowd size and distribution in the early hours.

The implications and how it impacts overall experience will likely not be known until it's been done this way long enough to observe it.

I think this is most of it.

I think the 2 hour window is a hedge in the system because of popular rides that have return times much later. This is like when your third FP+ was late in the day and you couldn't take advantage of getting a fourth until you used it. The 2 hour window makes that experience better.

But, what Disney clearly wants people to do is take a LL that's much closer than that. Something in the 40 to 75 minutes from when you're reserving it. Then, immediately repeat after you use it. If you did that, instead of 4 LL by 2:00, it could be 7:00, 8:30, 9:30, 10:30, 11:30, 12:30, 1:30, 2:30. Getting 8 LL in the same timeframe.

The issue is, for the popular rides, that's almost impossible. For the other rides, it works just fine.
But if they are taking away inventory from the park they are hopping to in theory they are saving inventory for the park they are scheduled to be in pre 2pm. So in theory its “hurting” one group and “helping” another. Just another shell game if you ask me.

Jrb1979

But if they are taking away inventory from the park they are hopping to in theory they are saving inventory for the park they are scheduled to be in pre 2pm. So in theory its “hurting” one group and “helping” another. Just another shell game if you ask me.
I know Genie+ is a different type of system compared to express pass systems but they all share the same thing in that they don't work when everyone has them.

ceecee101

Sorry basically a newbie again since haven’t been in 13 years, going this year. I’m confused. can I make a Genie+ selection for a park I am hopping to at 7 am as long as the return time is later than 2 pm? Seems like this is really common anyway, right? I mean if I am going to Epcot in the morning and say I don’t want to make any Genie+ there (we are people who don’t do many coasters, our rides at Epcot would be Soarin, Spaceship, Land, Figment), BUT I am hopping at 2 over to HS. Can I start Making Genie+ at 7 am for HS as long as I scroll and make sure all the return times are after 2, which it seems highly likely they will be if we want to do ToT, Smugglers, Slinky. And, I can keep stacking every 2 hours? Am I mixed up? Appreciate any help. Honestly all this new stuff is overwhelming For people who haven’t been back since paper FPs. Am really glad I started early trying to figure all this out.

gerarar

Premium Member
Sorry basically a newbie again since haven’t been in 13 years, going this year. I’m confused. can I make a Genie+ selection for a park I am hopping to at 7 am as long as the return time is later than 2 pm? Seems like this is really common anyway, right? I mean if I am going to Epcot in the morning and say I don’t want to make any Genie+ there (we are people who don’t do many coasters, our rides at Epcot would be Soarin, Spaceship, Land, Figment), BUT I am hopping at 2 over to HS. Can I start Making Genie+ at 7 am for HS as long as I scroll and make sure all the return times are after 2, which it seems highly likely they will be if we want to do ToT, Smugglers, Slinky. And, I can keep stacking every 2 hours? Am I mixed up? Appreciate any help. Honestly all this new stuff is overwhelming For people who haven’t been back since paper FPs. Am really glad I started early trying to figure all this out.
Yes, you can make a LL reservation at 7am for a park that you're going to hop to, IF the return time is 2pm onwards. You may need to sit and wait a bit, checking the return times.

From today, SDD already had times around at 6pm at 7:05am. ToT and Falcon are the next ones to have times later in the day. Then 2 hours after park open, you can make another LL for a ride at HS while you're still at Epcot, hence stacking. I like this method because it makes park hopping easier and having a set of attractions ready to go to.
Screenshot_20220813-195425_Chrome.jpg

I recommend looking at Thrill Data as it has a lot of useful information like the graph above.

Last edited:

Chi84

Premium Member
Gotcha so i can book another ride immediately once it turns to a ME correct? And then i can use the ME or wait for my ride to come back frombeing closed?

Thank you btw
We got a multi-experience when Kilimanjaro Safaris was down. Of course FOP was excepted but also Everest, which was not an ILL at that time.

Witchy Chick

Vaguely recall earlier in the thread the “new feature” of not showing eligibility time for picking up next G+.

We are in WDW now and earlier today (Thurs) I tried to book a G+ “early”. App told me I was too early/not eligible yet *with time* we would be next eligible to book one.

Purduevian

We got a multi-experience when Kilimanjaro Safaris was down. Of course FOP was excepted but also Everest, which was not an ILL at that time.
Yeah there are ME "tiers" in each park.

I had Splash go down and got a ME for it. I think it was good for everything except 7D, Space, JC, and Pan

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom