News Disney CEO Bob Chapek suggests price hikes are coming to the parks thanks to guest demand

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I don't really think there's any way for guests to game the system and make Disney operate the way they prefer through strategic mealtimes or anything like that. This is such a volume business that 4 or 5 families a day buying dinner a few hours later isn't going to do anything.

I think it's more that they are trying to maximise profits in a way that minimises benefits for guests beyond what they feel is necessary to keep them happy and spending. In this case, they figure out how many hours they need to give guests for them to experience X number of attractions which they believe results in a sufficient level of satisfaction and plan accordingly. After a certain point they see it as diminishing returns and increasingly judge the cost-benefit equation is not favourable enough for them.

The only thing that will change any of that is a major shift in guest sentiment and behaviour. As the recent quarterly results have shown, they can shrug off people here and there deciding to stop visiting at the moment because they have more demand than they can handle. My suspicion is this management approach will eventually cause problems because they seem to have taken it to such an extreme degree in trying to micromanage and monetise almost everything in the interests of efficiency in a way that seems almost oblivious to the how this feels for the guests actually visiting the parks. That said, I've been around Disney forums for enough years to have seen many tipping points that weren't.
The time for “pushback” from customers is over. It was 10 years ago…and definitely 5. The time to get what you want is over if you differ with what they offer at all. It’s a conscious choice…go or don’t go.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Local schools (SW Ohio) cranking up this week.
…ok, Boomer
1660579314453.jpeg

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
"Don't pay thousand dollar signing bonuses to entry-level QS F&B unless you absolutely have to"?
Absolutely not.

It’s that bonuses are gimmicks and BS. $1 an hour is more lucrative and permanent…

The only “bonuses” worth it are so large I believe you cheat on your taxes by default.

Anyone falling for a hiring bonus is under the IQ you want to work for you…like a litmus test.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
The issue wasn't "history," it was "who gets to profit on that land."

History was a smokescreen, like everything else in NoVa.
If I recall…it was all about tax levels that Eisner demanded and a pre-emptive peeing contest on development rights around it.

Had they built it - it would be loaded right now (if anyone could get past the bottleneck on I-95 near Petersburg) 10 months a year and there’s probably be a Canadian themed DVC tower

Touchdown

Or, you're just front-loading your waiting time.
But it’s not cutting into my park time because whil I may “wait” one hour the amount of park time I waited was >15 min. I still have 12 hours of park time. I feel the same about hopping in a long line right before close, it doesn’t count. I just sleep less, which is fine, for me.

MrPromey

They literally just did what you're accusing them of not doing.

Every employer in the country is having trouble filling open headcount right now. "Disney being uniquely stingy" has absolutely nothing to do with it.

For starters, we're coming up on about a year from when that article was published and as I'm sure you're aware, inflation, which hits people on the lowest rungs hardest, has already eaten away at the value of much of that headline.

My local Target (in Florida for Peet's sake!) is hiring at the $15 level right now and even a McDs near me was recently advertising a starting pay at that* so it's not exactly an amazing job offer from Disney considering what a lot of their people have to put up with.

Second, two things hold true - there aren't fewer people around to employ and not every employer, as you suggested, is having trouble.

You want to employ more people, particularity in commodity-style positions, there's basically two ways you can do it: Make the job suck less** than the competition or offer more than the competition. Companies like Disney have been used to it being an employer's market for far too long.

Sure, Disney provided wage increases a year or so ago. Clearly it hasn't been enough to attract the staff they need or it would be Universal, and Chic-fil-A noticeably hurting for employees instead of them.

Really, this is the same thing as Disney raising prices because the "market" says they can. A whole lot of people feel the market can afford to pay more for labor and again, looking at their park and resort earnings, it doesn't seem as though that's an incorrect assessment.

My question to you is, why do you seem so opposed to the "market" working both ways?

I think Disney is just holding out for the cheap college and foreign labor to return but to be honest, things like mousekeeping may never come back to previous standards because if people are paying more than ever for those rooms, anyway, why should it, right?

*admitedly, that rate was probably for someone working overnight or for a shift manager type position but I was promoted to shift manager at a McDs at the age of 18 starting the last few months of my senior year at high school so it's not exactly a difficult job to land.

**Yeah, Disney can only do so much to make their work suck less. They loosened dress and appearance standards (not sure how many housekeepers were clamoring for that) but feeling overworked and like you're being spread too thin is kind of the opposite of making a job suck less, don't you think?

Last edited:

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
But it’s not cutting into my park time because whil I may “wait” one hour the amount of park time I waited was >15 min. I still have 12 hours of park time. I feel the same about hopping in a long line right before close, it doesn’t count. I just sleep less, which is fine, for me.
That's fine. The math is the math. Show up at 8, wait an hour 'till open, then wait 15 minutes for FoP, you wait an hour and 15 minutes for it. Show up at 9, wait an hour and 15 minutes for FoP, it's still an hour and 15 minute wait.

But you're right -- it saves park open hours to allow more wait time for other rides later in the day.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom