Magic Key Renewals?

shambolicdefending

From page 7 of today's earnings call statement...

"The increase in average per capita ticket revenue was due to the introduction of Genie+ and Lightning Lane in the first quarter of the current fiscal year and a reduced impact from promotions at Walt Disney World Resort, partially offset by an unfavorable attendance mix at Disneyland Resort."

They're throwing Anaheim under the bus for this quarter. Not a good sign for the Magic Key Kids.
I've said this before... but if the suits really want to change the long-term "attendance mix" at Disneyland, it really amounts to a cultural change within the fan base. It's easy to force that on people quickly if you're willing to rip the band-aid off and ignore Twitter for a while. Just end the MK monthly payment option - presto! Throw in a few local park-hopper discounts during slow times, and you're good to go.

But since they're scared to death of social media mobs, it's going to take time. Maybe multiple years before they see the kind of change in consumer behavior they want, and I have my doubts they're patient enough to stick with the plan that long.

CaptinEO

To me it's obvious they for some reason seem to love the cheap passes for weekdays, be it a "so cal select" pass or "imagine key".

Despite what people talk about I don't belive the lawsuit is the reason they discontinued all the magic keys. The top level one maybe, but the rest did not use the same motto of "no blockout dates".

In October 2021 the "Dream Key" sold out. Then in November 2021 the "Believe Key" sold out. In May the "enchant key" sold out. They discontinued the Imagine key in July 2022.

To me this shows the company needs the imagine key the most to fill in dead weekdays. On the weekends on the contrary they do not need pass-holders to show up for discounted rates when they have plenty of people paying 150 dollars for a single day 1 park ticket.

Clearly the "key" program and hopefully it's terrible names are ending or dramatically changing. It isn't working out for the parks and is not providing value to the company.

They do not need additional bulk admission discounts since they already exist (Multiday Tickets) in ways that bring them more money.

I used to have the top tier AP since we only liked going on Saturdays (besides 2019 with the Flexpass providing the same benefit for half the price). Post pandemic we just visit once a year now with a 1 day ticket (we skip California Adventure).

There's nothing wrong with that. I think many people think they need an annual pass to go to Disneyland or feel "ripped off" paying the full price. No AP doesn't mean no Disneyland. Save your money for other stuff and you can still visit on day tickets.

CaptinEO

I've said this before... but if the suits really want to change the long-term "attendance mix" at Disneyland, it really amounts to a cultural change within the fan base. It's easy to force that on people quickly if you're willing to rip the band-aid off and ignore Twitter for a while. Just end the MK monthly payment option - presto! Throw in a few local park-hopper discounts during slow times, and you're good to go.

But since they're scared to death of social media mobs, it's going to take time. Maybe multiple years before they see the kind of change in consumer behavior they want, and I have my doubts they're patient enough to stick with the plan that long.
I would argue they already ripped the band aid and created lots of culture change when they:

1) Told everyone in 2020 their passes would be valid on park reopening only to instead cancel everyones Pass (the death of the AP program)
2) Reopened Disneyland without any pass program for 4-5 months
3) Implemented the "Magic Key" program with not only dramatic changes to the former AP Program but also with strict limits for how many of each pass are sold

I think the company has shown they are now more than ever willing to experiment and try new things with attendance and ticketing. Even pre pandemic the Flex Pass was a thing.

People always act like if Disney does a change there will be some big public freakout.

People said this would happen if demand based pricing occurred, if smoking sections were removed, and if paid fastpass happened. All 3 of these things happened and life went on as normal. If Disney sold no APs, which as of now they aren't, the parks would still operate and make money just fine, they just need to lower their weekday ticket prices.

Maybe families that usually have APs would appreciate the parks a bit more and not use it as a weekly hangout if the program was discontinued, creating better guest satisfaction.

Stevek

Shirts for everyone!!!

1660232194222.png

Last edited:

Stevek

There are enough psychotic APs/MKs that I'd prefer not to be associated with the rest of that group. But, more power to those of you not too proud to embrace it...
I personally would never wear one of those shirts...I've never really worn or done anything to indicate I'm an AP/MK other than take advantage of the discounts that come with it.

Parteecia

I personally would never wear one of those shirts...I've never really worn or done anything to indicate I'm an AP/MK other than take advantage of the discounts that come with it.
I wear what I feel like wearing. And sometimes I feel like making a statement.

Those shirts make me wish that I had a Key. I want to be unfavorable too!

Last edited:

Vegas Disney Fan

2) Reopened Disneyland without any pass program for 4-5 months

I suspect this is them testing the waters again but I’ll be surprised if they make it even 2 months this time before passes are back and they are pushing them hard.

If they don’t offer renewals what are peoples guesses for attendance loss? My guess is attendance drops 20-30% within a few weeks of August 25th without APs.

Disney hates APs because they spend less than day guests but an AP spending 75% of a day guest is a whole lot better than no guest paying 0% of a day guest. Losing 10,000+ guests a day (even if they are lower spending guests) won’t last long.

We aren’t renewing either way so we would love for the parks to have 10,000 fewer people on the rare days we do pay to go but I can’t see any scenario where DL doesn’t have APs.

CaptinEO

I suspect this is them testing the waters again but I’ll be surprised if they make it even 2 months this time before passes are back and they are pushing them hard.

If they don’t offer renewals what are peoples guesses for attendance loss? My guess is attendance drops 20-30% within a few weeks of August 25th without APs.

Disney hates APs because they spend less than day guests but an AP spending 75% of a day guest is a whole lot better than no guest paying 0% of a day guest. Losing 10,000+ guests a day (even if they are lower spending guests) won’t last long.

We aren’t renewing either way so we would love for the parks to have 10,000 fewer people on the rare days we do pay to go but I can’t see any scenario where DL doesn’t have APs.
I get your argument however you have to account for the fact that no APs existing means more tickets sold too. The people getting Disney APs are going to come back at some point even without a discount option.

I see the "unfavorable mix" comment may show their disdain for discount admission. A discount admission person buying a few meals (with a discount) but using Disneys staffing and resources may not be as desirable as less people in the park paying full price to get in.

I also think with the focus on upcharges for things like Genie or fireworks, an AP who can just come back and visit another time wouldn't bother with these pay to play convenience fees.

Vegas Disney Fan

I get your argument however you have to account for the fact that no APs existing means more tickets sold too. The people getting Disney APs are going to come back at some point even without a discount option.

I see the "unfavorable mix" comment may show their disdain for discount admission. A discount admission person buying a few meals (with a discount) but using Disneys staffing and resources may not be as desirable as less people in the park paying full price to get in.

I also think with the focus on upcharges for things like Genie or fireworks, an AP who can just come back and visit another time wouldn't bother with these pay to play convenience fees.

It will offset the losses a bit but using our experience as a baseline, we averaged about 28 days a year as APs and plan on 3-4 weekends next year as non APs… that’s a net loss of 16-19 days per year per AP.

Multiply that by the rumored few hundred thousand APs and they’re looking at about 5-10 million lost guest days if APs switch from frequent visits to a few visits a year, that’s 14,000-28,000 lost guests a day. That’s a massive loss.

Parteecia

Gives me the same vibes as the childless millennial merch that popped up in small shops everywhere a few years ago... I'm good, but you do you. 😅
Thank you! I am Ms. Bandwagon. I may get one anyway and wear it when I use my Knott's and UStu passes.

I am curious to see what they decide the unfavorable sweet spot is in terms of attendance ratios. As someone pointed out before, ticket buyers are not being denied entry because of MKs. They may not bring in much but they bring in more than $0.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom