New Enhancements, Dining Options Coming to Disney’s BoardWalk

dreday3

Here's the food preview of the Deli -

Okay, this sounds really, really good!!! :D Baked in house bagels, bread. Dill pickles also made in house!

I didn't see anything about a meat slicer... ;)

Fingers crossed!

RememberWhen

UNCgolf

There's a menu up on the page posted above, but I hope it's not the final menu.

I know it's a Disney QS place, but to only have 4 sandwiches available, one of which is a grilled cheese and one is veggie, isn't exactly my idea of a deli. There's nothing there I'd even want for lunch/dinner -- I'm not a big fan of deli ham or capicola, and that's really all they have. I could eat a ham and swiss if I had to, but for $10.50?

dreday3

I know it's a Disney QS place, but to only have 4 sandwiches available, one of which is a grilled cheese and one is veggie, isn't exactly my idea of a deli. There's nothing there I'd even want for lunch/dinner -- I'm not a big fan of deli ham or capicola, and that's really all they have. I could eat a ham and swiss if I had to, but for $10.50?

If the menu is right, you can't even buy an individual bagel -- it's just the bagel breakfast sandwich.

It said you can get bagels with a schmear - so I'm sure you can choose your bagel and cream cheese if you'd like.

I see 5 sandwiches listed in the blog - Italian, Rueben, roasted chicken, grilled cheese and muffaletta. And soup. I mean, I feel that is kind of line with the amount of offerings most quick service places have?

and...you don't like capicola? 😳😄

Last edited:

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster

That is the old menu isn't it?

UNCgolf

It said you can get bagels with a schmear - so I'm sure you can choose your bagel and cream cheese if you'd like.

I see 5 sandwiches listed in the blog - Italian, Rueben, roasted chicken, grilled cheese and muffaletta. And soup. I mean, I feel that is kind of line with the amount of offerings most quick service places have?

and...you don't like capicola? 😳😄

Yeah, I was looking at the menu on the website, but it apparently was the menu from the old Boardwalk Bakery.

But no, not really! I'm not a big fan of any kind of deli ham, and although I do generally like cured meats, capicola is not one of my favorites (don't love prosciutto either). My favorite deli sandwich is turkey (roasted or smoked, either is good) and salami with some sort of cheese.

chrisbarry

I guess I don't understand how deeply and seriously some consider this so called "bubble". I enjoy staying inside the Disney sphere and having less of the "real" world to deal with - that is what vacations are for. With the exception of my high school senior trip, we have stayed on Disney property on every visit. But at what point is the "bubble" considered popped? Is when one hears people cheering for their sports teams? Is it when taking a bus to a theme park, you pass a common Speedway gas station? Is it seeing a marked delivery trucks from outside companies on the roads making deliveries? Is it seeing marked Orange County sheriff's vehicles parked outside park entrances? Is it hearing CNN on a TV? I suppose that I do not understand getting so deeply into the "bubble" that any of those would bother me. In one way I wish I was. In another way I am glad that I am not. Glad that an otherwise great day would potentially be ruined by simply hearing a TV news channel or people cheering for a sports event. To each their own.
I assume being in the "bubble" would mean being surrounded by all things Disney 24x7. I get that that. But by that criteria, with ESPN being part of the Disney family, wouldn't an ESPN themed eatery be part of that "bubble"? Where does one draw the line at which Disney brands belong inside the "bubble"? Some have argued that the ESPN Club was out of place on the Boardwalk. In my opinion, it fit very well. Having grown up outside of Philly, I have spent many weeks/weekends at the boardwalks in NJ and also in Ocean City, Maryland. Boardwalks are full of life and activity - plenty of lights, music, games, amusement piers, ice cream shops, t-shirt shops, salt water taffy stores, pizza shops, pedicabs, etc. There is a lot of kinetic energy. ESPN gave that sort of energy to that end of the boardwalk. I enjoyed spending evenings on my balcony at the Yacht Club looking over the water and seeing the lights and activities on the boardwalk - I think a lot of that will go away. Some have said that it did not belong at a "$400/night hotel". It was located at a far corner location that was very much out of the way. The only time someone would pass it would be when walking to Epcot. If one was worried about it not fitting the theme and popping the "bubble", one could take the boat to Epcot while looking at the Yacht & Beach Club so as not to see ESPN Club. I would say if sports bar does not belong in a deluxe hotel neither does a hot dog stand, take out pizza window, funnel cake cart, margarita stand or dueling piano bar. All of those are on the boardwalk. In my opinion, they all fit the theme of the area where the hotel is located. In my opinion, one cannot say that ESPN does not belong at a $400/night hotel while the others do.
As far as the Cake Bake Shop replacing ESPN, in my opinion, looking online at their other locations, it would seem to be a better fit at the Grand Floridian than the Boardwalk. Who knows, maybe it will be built with a more casual theme to better fit the area but online photos of the other locations make it look too "fancy". I will reserve my opinion until the project is finished. My fear is that it will be another overpriced restaurant - $100+ cakes don't do it for me. Hope everyone enjoys their future visits no matter what happens with the Boardwalk.
My bubble and your bubble are two different things. And that's OK. Personally...and once again...this is just my point of view that I'm expressing, you don't have to agree with it, but please don't disparage it...I don't think ESPN when I think of Disney just because they own them. Same way...and I'm sure many will disagree with this...I never cared for seeing ABC billboards at the Studios. I get it. I understand it. It kind of makes sense to have them theme wise. I'm a HUGE Grey's Anatomy fan. Always have been, but it's not Disney to me, so I never cared for seeing the Grey's billboards in the Studios. I'd rather see Disney animated film billboards or the Pirates of the Caribbean billboards. That's just my cup of tea.

And no, I don't like seeing the Speedway and I don't like seeing that McDonalds when I'm on the bus over to Animal Kingdom. It, in no way ruins my day. But that doesn't mean I like seeing it.I kind of like Walt's original notion of buying so much land in Florida because he didn't like what he referred to as "honky tonk" that opened up right outside the Disneyland property line. I actually want the Disney BoardWalk to NOT be Ocean City or Seaside Heights. I've been to them and I've enjoyed them, but I like Disney to be different. Once again, it doesn't ruin my day, but I'm allowed not to like intrusions into my bubble.

I'll go a step further and say that in my honest opinion, the Swan and Dolphin don't belong next to the BoardWalk either. They don't fit the theme and for a company that goes out of it's way to fly sight balloons when they're proposing building new structures just to make sure that the views don't intrude anywhere else, I don't quite know how the Yacht/Beach/BoardWalk and the Swan and Dolphin coexist together.

And thanks, I can't wait to get back to the BoardWalk again! I love it and miss it!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom