Looking at Saratoga Resale

Schweino

Original Poster
Wife and I are ramping up conversations on Saratoga Resale. 150-170 pt range. Aug/Sept use year. EDIT: We plan to bank/borrow and do a trip every 2 years and do 1BR's.

Typical Travel Times: October - March. Festival of the Holidays first, Halloween second, Flower/Garden third when it comes to time preference.

Why we are considering: The fact that we can give our future kids some great experiences at either WDW, US, Hilton and Hawaii over 20ish years (if we bought direct, we'd plan to sell down the line, hence the 20ish). Also the ability to pay for it now and not have to worry about that cost down the road.

What I have understood when asking the below questions: Holiday times is the busiest time of the year for DVC. I should purchase only where I am absolutely okay staying at. Buying Direct fiscally doesn't make sense.

Open Thoughts/Questions:

1. Understanding that Holiday time for DVC is the busiest time of the year: Considering our high preference is to travel during Festival of Holiday times, would finding a 1BR for a week at the 7 month window at a different resort be totally impossible if we didn't want to split stay it? Basically anywhere besides SSR (though Riviera, AKL and CC/BR are probably top 3). Thinking 12/1-12/8 give or take.

2. Would you purchase a DVC contract if maybe only 4 trips would be used at WDW parks themselves? Was thinking 5-6 WDW (with only 4 being true WDW park trips, other 1-2 being Universal/Random/Break), 3 Hawaii, 1-2 Hilton Head (don't know much about this place, but seems neat).

3. We are still floating the idea of doing 150pt direct (mainly because we've been to Riviera, and while we didnt stay in a 1BR, we do love the place overall as Disney 'theming' we could care less about). It's about ~11k difference in price. We certainly wouldn't use enough discounts at stores/restaurants/events to make up the cost, but is there other things to consider that DVC members can 'experience' where it's hard to put price to value/offering?

Also, big thanks to @CaptainAmerica for his thoughts directly and don't expect him to comment here lol.

Last edited:

Club Cooloholic

Wife and I are ramping up conversations on Saratoga Resale. 150-170 pt range. Aug/Sept use year. EDIT: We plan to bank/borrow and do a trip every 2 years and do 1BR's.

Typical Travel Times: October - March. Festival of the Holidays first, Halloween second, Flower/Garden third when it comes to time preference.

Why we are considering: The fact that we can give our future kids some great experiences at either WDW, US, Hilton and Hawaii over 20ish years (if we bought direct, we'd plan to sell down the line, hence the 20ish). Also the ability to pay for it now and not have to worry about that cost down the road.

What I have understood when asking the below questions: Holiday times is the busiest time of the year for DVC. I should purchase only where I am absolutely okay staying at. Buying Direct fiscally doesn't make sense.

Open Thoughts/Questions:

1. Understanding that Holiday time for DVC is the busiest time of the year: Considering our high preference is to travel during Festival of Holiday times, would finding a 1BR for a week at the 7 month window at a different resort be totally impossible if we didn't want to split stay it? Basically anywhere besides SSR (though Riviera, AKL and CC/BR are probably top 3). Thinking 12/1-12/8 give or take.

2. Would you purchase a DVC contract if maybe only 4 trips would be used at WDW parks themselves? Was thinking 5-6 WDW (with only 4 being true WDW park trips, other 1-2 being Universal/Random/Break), 3 Hawaii, 1-2 Hilton Head (don't know much about this place, but seems neat).

3. We are still floating the idea of doing 150pt direct (mainly because we've been to Riviera, and while we didnt stay in a 1BR, we do love the place overall as Disney 'theming' we could care less about). It's about ~11k difference in price. We certainly wouldn't use enough discounts at stores/restaurants/events to make up the cost, but is there other things to consider that DVC members can 'experience' where it's hard to put price to value/offering?

Also, big thanks to @CaptainAmerica for his thoughts directly and don't expect him to comment here lol.
I'm going to give you a tool that will help immensely.. it's not always completely accurate but it's fairly accurate. Play around see what is there and what is not, I realize we are past the 7 month mark but you might be surprised what you find. Like Xmas week on some days has AKL and Boardwalk 1beds available

Last edited:

Schweino

Original Poster
I'm going to give you a tool that will help immensely.. it's not always completely accurate but it's fairly accurate. Play around see what is there and what is not, I realize we are past the 7 month mark but you might be surprised what you find. Like Xmas wee on some days has AKL and Boardwalk 1beds available
I've actually used this tool! Ideally, I'd be using this tool in April/Mayish for that true 7 month window timeframe to answer my question. Which is why I asked the question to see if anyone had experience, in particular, doing the same thing I was trying to do.

Joe

I'm only visiting this planet.
Premium Member
October will be a better use year for you.

If you buy resale you won’t be able to use the points at Riviera.

One bedrooms are the last to book up and easiest to get.

Club Cooloholic

I've actually used this tool! Ideally, I'd be using this tool in April/Mayish for that true 7 month window timeframe to answer my question. Which is why I asked the question to see if anyone had experience, in particular, doing the same thing I was trying to do.
I have had luck getting what I want. Sometimes I will go back and things even open up. I'm realistic though, you might be stuck with a lake view 1b at BLT as opposed to standard and it will be more points..bit it's there. I have 160 points and that has worked fine for us so far going every 2 years or so.

Schweino

Original Poster
If you buy resale you won’t be able to use the points at Riviera.
This is pretty much the major reason why we are even considering direct is because we do love the place. Just not sure if I love it enough to pay ~11k more for it, especially considering I'd like to stay at other places too. I think I may just rent out points, and then buy points, to make a Riv trip possible instead of going direct.

Club Cooloholic

This is pretty much the major reason why we are even considering direct is because we do love the place. Just not sure if I love it enough to pay ~11k more for it, especially considering I'd like to stay at other places too. I think I may just rent out points, and then buy points, to make a Riv trip possible instead of going direct.
It will also be harder to sell due to restrictions currently place

Club Cooloholic

I should also add, you really should stay at a deluxe before buying in, you may not really think it's worth the upgrade and it's not a cheap buy in with maintenence etc.
Maybe I am dumb but I found the rental sites hard to use to try to rent points. I am renting some to a cousin this March, but that's easy to do.

correcaminos

Holidays will be hard always. If you do not want SSR do not buy there. If you want RR you have direct (but can be any resort) or RR resale but then you are stuck at RR always. If you haven't stayed at RR you need to so you can see what transportation is like.

I buy DVC because we stay DVC and go a few times a year. I wouldn't do it for other trips. HHI will be gone in 20 years and it's really not the best location if you like beaches on the Island.

I think renting is wise until you know for sure what to do.

Joe

I'm only visiting this planet.
Premium Member
Maybe I am dumb but I found the rental sites hard to use to try to rent points. I am renting some to a cousin this March, but that's easy to do.
I always make a confirmed reservation first and then sell that reservation at one of the rental sites such as David's. I once made an October reservation at Boardwalk Villas during the Food and Wine Festival. It sold in two days. I just then had to change the names on the reservation.

Schweino

Original Poster
If you haven't stayed at RR you need to so you can see what transportation is like.
I actually dont care so much a out transpo. What I mainly care about is a nice and clean facility. Ive seen the rooms, just never slept in them. We love them.

Also, our main problem with renting is that I can never seem to get dates that fit best with my schedule. Owning would at least give me the 11 month window to book SSR since I do plan my trips a full year in advance lol.

Lastly, Its not that I dont want to stay at SSR, but more that I dont want to stay at SSR every trip. If at 7 months I can get a 1 bed at any other resort relatively easily as long as Im a bit flexible Id be okay with that. Except I understand BR/CC are most likely not bookable during holidays for a full week.

correcaminos

I actually dont care so much a out transpo. What I mainly care about is a nice and clean facility. Ive seen the rooms, just never slept in them. We love them.

Also, our main problem with renting is that I can never seem to get dates that fit best with my schedule. Owning would at least give me the 11 month window to book SSR since I do plan my trips a full year in advance lol.

Lastly, Its not that I dont want to stay at SSR, but more that I dont want to stay at SSR every trip. If at 7 months I can get a 1 bed at any other resort relatively easily as long as Im a bit flexible Id be okay with that. Except I understand BR/CC are most likely not bookable during holidays for a full week.
Will you be driving to the parks then? I normally don't say much about transportation except for the skyliner. It's not fun being wt the IG at Epcot and have a storm come in only to have to walk all the way to the bus stop and wait extra long for a bus to show.

I will just gently say, buy where you want to stay most. SSR is incredibly easy to book. If you want other resorts then look there.

Schweino

Original Poster
Welp we decided to fly down a day early and do a 1BR at RR the first night. But man finding flights that had reasonable arrival times coming from Omaha was a PITA without forking over a ton of cash. I had a $250 voucher from Southwest so we decided to fly into Tampa (11:10 AM arrival at 200/per) and decide to drive to RR. Not sure if we'll keep the rental car booking or just get an Uber, but not sure how hard it will be to get an accepted Uber that wants to drive that far.

Schweino

Original Poster
It's not fun being wt the IG at Epcot and have a storm come in only to have to walk all the way to the bus stop and wait extra long for a bus to show.
I've stayed at Pop our last two trips (2019, 2020) and we never had a problem with bussing back to resort. Yes, we have to wait, but after walking around the parks for 'x' hours, sitting down at the bus stop was A-okay with us lol.

correcaminos

I've stayed at Pop our last two trips (2019, 2020) and we never had a problem with bussing back to resort. Yes, we have to wait, but after walking around the parks for 'x' hours, sitting down at the bus stop was A-okay with us lol.
Lucky is all I will say. When it's pouring waiting isn't fun. But if you are cool with that then it's not an issue. Not great being was stuck waiting an hour with their elderly parents. Big downside to those who aren't always able to wait standing in pouring rain while lightning is everywhere. But that's me.

Club Cooloholic

Welp we decided to fly down a day early and do a 1BR at RR the first night. But man finding flights that had reasonable arrival times coming from Omaha was a PITA without forking over a ton of cash. I had a $250 voucher from Southwest so we decided to fly into Tampa (11:10 AM arrival at 200/per) and decide to drive to RR. Not sure if we'll keep the rental car booking or just get an Uber, but not sure how hard it will be to get an accepted Uber that wants to drive that far.
I think it's probably done more than you think. I have had Uber drivers pick us up from another state! Tampa to Orlando is probably a pretty common request.

Schweino

Original Poster
I think it's probably done more than you think. I have had Uber drivers pick us up from another state! Tampa to Orlando is probably a pretty common request.
That's crazy! I checked the estimated price for both Uber/Lyft and it was roughly ~110 for the trip. Add in $30 for tip, thats 140. I got a rental car from Enterprise for $120 and well probably need 20 or so in gas for the 80 mile drive to Lake Buena (where Enterprise drop off is located), and then ~20 uber to get from Enterprise to Riviera. So 140 Uber vs 160 rental car - Ill spend 20 more to 'control' the experience.

Club Cooloholic

That's crazy! I checked the estimated price for both Uber/Lyft and it was roughly ~110 for the trip. Add in $30 for tip, thats 140. I got a rental car from Enterprise for $120 and well probably need 20 or so in gas for the 80 mile drive to Lake Buena (where Enterprise drop off is located), and then ~20 uber to get from Enterprise to Riviera. So 140 Uber vs 160 rental car - Ill spend 20 more to 'control' the experience.
Oh, yeah, we always rent a car. Check out Celebration one night for dinner and walking around of you can find time

Schweino

Original Poster
Oh, yeah, we always rent a car. Check out Celebration one night for dinner and walking around of you can find time
I don't think we will have the time unfortunately the way our trip is planned. My inlaws have never been to Disney World so we have a lot planned for them :)

correcaminos

I don't think we will have the time unfortunately the way our trip is planned. My inlaws have never been to Disney World so we have a lot planned for them :)
Have fun and yes, rental is the way to go. At TPA car rentals are smaller in size of fleet we found but usually fast to get through.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom