SciFi Dine-In Rez

jmojul1

Original Poster
Fam of 11 (2 babies), really wanted rez at SciFi but couldn’t due to our size. Able to get 5 rezs for 2 ppl ea. Any way this could work? Plus we are one short for a baby (couldn’t make rez for 1 or 3). Should we just cancel or do you think they’d work with us?"

Club Cooloholic

Fam of 11 (2 babies), really wanted rez at SciFi but couldn’t due to our size. Able to get 5 rezs for 2 ppl ea. Any way this could work? Plus we are one short for a baby (couldn’t make rez for 1 or 3). Should we just cancel or do you think they’d work with us?"
I am going to be honest. Skip this. I assume there are several parents, maybe some grands mixed in and this is not just two parents and 9 kids lol. Anyway SciFi is great to go to, but really not ideal with small kids. You can't all sit together and talk as everyone faces one direction. This also makes it hard with smaller ones like babies to help them with their food. And it's dark so that makes it tough too. They will for sure not be able to seat you all together. I would pass on this as a group.
If you show up with they will expect to seat you as 2s and you will be spread all out, I hope you have enough adults for the kids

Last edited:

Chi84

Premium Member
Did you want to be seated in the cars? I know they have some table seating in back but I’m not sure of how many per table.

Disney goes out of its way to try to make things happen, but it may be a problem not having the number of reservations you need. If you are absolutely committed to eating there, try going to the podium well before your reservation time and see what they tell you.

Five of us had lunch there recently because our daughter-in-law had never experienced it. But I agree with @Club Cooloholic about it not being a good environment for small kids. Seating in the cars is tight and you can barely see well enough to feed yourself let alone take care of young ones.

JIMINYCR

I agree. The table space in the back is not ideal. The seating I think was for 6 at a table. Other type seating maybe held 4 seats. For a large group dine elsewhere. Sci fi is a different experience and fun to try if you are a small family. Reserve it for another trip when you can enjoy. It is a very dark setting and when we dine there I always bring a small mag light to read the menu.

jmojul1

Original Poster
I am going to be honest. Skip this. I assume there are several parents, maybe some grands mixed in and this is not just two parents and 9 kids lol. Anyway SciFi is great to go to, but really not ideal with small kids. You can't all sit together and talk as everyone faces one direction. This also makes it hard with smaller ones like babies to help them with their food. And it's dark so that makes it tough too. They will for sure not be able to seat you all together. I would pass on this as a group.
If you show up with they will expect to seat you as 2s and you will be spread all out, I hope you have enough adults for the kids
Hi - TY for the reply. I think you’re right, we should skip it. It’s us, our 4 adult daughters, 3 sons-in-law, and two babies. We always ate there with our girls when they were younger and wanted the others to experience it too but you’re right about the dim lighting and awkward seating for feeding a 14 and 15 mo old. The split reservations was a long shot. Oh well. TY again.

jmojul1

Original Poster
Did you want to be seated in the cars? I know they have some table seating in back but I’m not sure of how many per table.

Disney goes out of its way to try to make things happen, but it may be a problem not having the number of reservations you need. If you are absolutely committed to eating there, try going to the podium well before your reservation time and see what they tell you.

Five of us had lunch there recently because our daughter-in-law had never experienced it. But I agree with @Club Cooloholic about it not being a good environment for small kids. Seating in the cars is tight and you can barely see well enough to feed yourself let alone take care of young ones.
Asking at the podium is a good idea but if they can’t help us then I’m afraid of getting stuck with a charge for cancelling too late. The whole thing seems stressful at this point and that’s the last thing we want. TY for the points you made! We have dining reservations at other places on a couple other days anyway

jmojul1

Original Poster
I agree. The table space in the back is not ideal. The seating I think was for 6 at a table. Other type seating maybe held 4 seats. For a large group dine elsewhere. Sci fi is a different experience and fun to try if you are a small family. Reserve it for another trip when you can enjoy. It is a very dark setting and when we dine there I always bring a small mag light to read the menu.
Agreed! TY for responding :)

Club Cooloholic

Agreed! TY for responding :)
I will say this, if you want to try it, and see I'd they can put you all in one car and maybe a few in the back tables and they can't, they probably won't have an issue with canceling if you try it then and there in person. That fee is more for a no show, and you are showing and then deciding you don't want to, no fee charged.

Last edited:

Hcalvert

@jmojul1 When I was there in June, I saw larger parties up to eight (or 9 with a small child) being seated together at the cars, but they were the cars with the only the front and back and had individual seats. To be honest, they looked cramped with more than 8. They seated any more than 8 in a nearby car or at a regular table. No ideal, but doable. Of course, in your situation with 2-people reservations, you may be seated as "hitchhikers" or behind other parties in their car.

1658055982165.png

Chi84

Premium Member
@jmojul1 When I was there in June, I saw larger parties up to eight (or 9 with a small child) being seated together at the cars, but they were the cars with the only the front and back and had individual seats. To be honest, they looked cramped with more than 8. They seated any more than 8 in a nearby car or at a regular table. No ideal, but doable. Of course, in your situation with 2-people reservations, you may be seated as "hitchhikers" or behind other parties in their car.

You're probably right about the "hitchhikers" - parties of two being seated with others to fill the cars. That could be what they planned to do and may be the reason OP was able to get so many reservations for 2 people at the same time but no reservations for larger parties.

ppete1975

I will say this, if you want to try it, and see I'd they can put you all in one car and maybe a few in the back tables and they can't, they probably won't have an issue with canceling if you so it then and there in person. That fee is more for a no show, and you are showing and then deciding you don't want to.m, no fee charged.
Yeah that fee is mostly for jerks who set up a ton of reservations with no intention of going, or are so preoccupied they forget they set them up. So the fee makes sure they try to get to it, and makes sure most reservations are legitimate. You are showing up so I doubt youd be charged.

jmojul1

Original Poster
I’m updating as we were there last week. Sci Fi totally worked with us and got us all in two side by side cars! We had a couple of other split reservations (reservations for 11 is tough) and every restaurant worked with us with no problem :)

Chi84

Premium Member
I’m updating as we were there last week. Sci Fi totally worked with us and got us all in two side by side cars! We had a couple of other split reservations (reservations for 11 is tough) and every restaurant worked with us with no problem :)
That’s the Disney I know and love. After following these boards I joke that I go to a different WDW than others.

DisneyfanMA

I'm so happy to hear you made it. How did the adults like the place?

Do you think 3 kids aged 6, 7 and 9 can fit in a row in car? I'm going with my 3 kids and wife and hoping we can fit in 2 rows of the car.

Chi84

Premium Member
I'm so happy to hear you made it. How did the adults like the place?

Do you think 3 kids aged 6, 7 and 9 can fit in a row in car? I'm going with my 3 kids and wife and hoping we can fit in 2 rows of the car.
I found pictures on Yelp showing 3 kids around those ages and they seemed to fit just fine.

Raidermatt

Just saw this thread, glad things worked out well. From our experience Disney will, whenever possible, work with you when it comes to combining reservations and seating you together. And it is almost always possible. You might have to wait a bit longer, but they will do their best. We visit with groups ranging from 7 to 12, and many restaurants flat out won't take reservations of that size. But we have always been accommodated upon arrival.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom