Taika Waititi Courted for Star Wars Movie

Jedijax719

What can they realistically do? They stuffed up the chance at sequels.

Kenobi shows they're creatively bankrupt with new ideas. Just regurgitating things that happen in Star Wars.

The Mandalorian is the only thing that has worked.

The only option is to reinvent an entirely new Star Wars. Which there is zero hope they can do if they can't even do the existing Star Wars with new ideas.
The bold is absolutely not true at all. They were always going to make something with Kenobi. Fans and Ewan wanted it.

Screamface

The bold is absolutely not true at all. They were always going to make something with Kenobi. Fans and Ewan wanted it.

You missed the point young padawan.

Fans wanted more of Kenobi. They didn't just want ploot elements from Revenge of the Sith and A New Hope sloppy smashed together as Episode 3.5. That is what is creatively bankrupt. It's just rehashing plot elements that have happened before.

What happens in ROTS? Obi-Wan and Anakin fight. What happens in ANH, Leia needs to be rescued.

The RLM guys are wrong about Star Wars being void of new ideas, but what they say is true because the people running it can't think of anything new. They just look at what exists and copy it. Obi-Wan is also derivative of the most original new Star Wars, The Mandalorian. It also steals from video games.

It ends up just being inferior to what has come before.

erasure fan1

They didn't just want ploot elements from Revenge of the Sith and A New Hope sloppy smashed together as Episode 3.5. That is what is creatively bankrupt. It's just rehashing plot elements that have happened before.

What happens in ROTS? Obi-Wan and Anakin fight. What happens in ANH, Leia needs to be rescued.
The funny part is they ripped off their own show. Leia gets rescued, so what happens next? Whoops! She needs rescuing again.

Unfortunately Disney as a whole is fairly creatively bankrupt. Doctor strange recycled a lot from Wandavision as well.

Screamface

The funny part is they ripped off their own show. Leia gets rescued, so what happens next? Whoops! She needs rescuing again.

Unfortunately Disney as a whole is fairly creatively bankrupt. Doctor strange recycled a lot from Wandavision as well.

There's a growing issue in the industry of people becoming writers who aren't readers. So their backdrop of influences is just other films and TV shows. This is why everything is becoming so derivative.

Then in the current era, with a bad script, you can just pepper in a bunch of social good arguments to justify it over thoroughly working on your story.

People want to make stuff and writing a good script is hard. It's a lot easier to justify a badly written character on identity over the written word. Then when this becomes your focus, you don't want to write anything for the character(s) that may impinge upon the wonderful representation you are doing. "If they face too many challenges, it may not inspire identity group." It's why characters like Rey are too boring. They aren't even characters.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Hate to break it to most of you, but everything is pretty much a derivative of something else. This is true of the OT as it is with every story ever told in any medium since the beginning of time.

There are no original ideas and haven't been since quill was put to parchment.

As Mark Twain once said:

“There is no such thing as a new idea. It is impossible. We simply take a lot of old ideas and put them into a sort of mental kaleidoscope. We give them a turn and they make new and curious combinations. We keep on turning and making new combinations indefinitely; but they are the same old pieces of colored glass that have been in use through all the ages.”

So this idea that derivative is bad in storytelling is not only silly, its just wrong and doesn't understand how everything is derivative of something else.

erasure fan1

So this idea that derivative is bad in storytelling is not only silly, its just wrong and doesn't understand how everything is derivative of something else.
Taking inspiration from other stories is not necessarily a bad thing. You are right, Lucas said many times the OT took ideas from all over the place. The issue people are having is them recycling themselves. At least make an effort to create something new for your universe. Obi wan was only 6 episodes and they kidnapped Leia twice. The force awakens decided to soft reboot a new hope. Heck the whole sequel trilogy took way to many ideas from the OT. You can say what you want about the prequels. But the one thing you can't say, is they stole their ideas from 4, 5 and 6, for better or worse.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Taking inspiration from other stories is not necessarily a bad thing. You are right, Lucas said many times the OT took ideas from all over the place. The issue people are having is them recycling themselves. At least make an effort to create something new for your universe. Obi wan was only 6 episodes and they kidnapped Leia twice. The force awakens decided to soft reboot a new hope. Heck the whole sequel trilogy took way to many ideas from the OT. You can say what you want about the prequels. But the one thing you can't say, is they stole their ideas from 4, 5 and 6, for better or worse.

“good artists borrow, great artists steal.”

Pablo Picasso
Steve Jobs
Igor Stravinsky
and many other greats have said this over the years.

Heck George himself stole most of Star Wars from many sources, not just took inspiration, but directly stole the ideas. For example the Death Star trench run was taken directly from Operation Chastise from the 1954 WWII film The Dam Busters. Not to mention you can see Kurosawa all over Star Wars. Plus much much more.

Point is not to take anything away from George, but to show that even great artists like George create work that is derivative of what came before.

erasure fan1

“good artists borrow, great artists steal.”

Pablo Picasso
Steve Jobs
Igor Stravinsky
and many other greats have said this over the years.

Heck George himself stole most of Star Wars from many sources, not just took inspiration, but directly stole the ideas. For example the Death Star trench run was taken directly from Operation Chastise from the 1954 WWII film The Dam Busters. Not to mention you can see Kurosawa all over Star Wars. Plus much much more.

Point is not to take anything away from George, but to show that even great artists like George create work that is derivative of what came before.
I completely agree. I was just pointing out he didn't steal from himself. He didn't remake the originals when he did the prequels. That's what a lot of people are complaining about. You have tons of things to use, why recycle what you've already done.

DCBaker

Premium Member
An update from Kathleen Kennedy in an interview with Variety -

“Taika is still working away,” she said. “He’s writing the script himself. He doesn’t really want to bring others into that process and I don’t blame him. He has a very, very unique voice. So we want to protect that and that’s what he’s doing. But we’re going to make that one day.”

Phroobar

So this is still happening… I was under the impression it was canceled
We can only hope.

I really don't need to find out how Yak Face laughs.

iu

doctornick

I loved Ragnorak and enjoyed Love & Thunder quite a bit too. His work on The Mandalorian was good. I'd be really disappointed if this movie did not happen.

erasure fan1

I loved Ragnorak and enjoyed Love & Thunder quite a bit too. His work on The Mandalorian was good. I'd be really disappointed if this movie did not happen.
I was in favor of him making a star wars movie. I also loved Ragnarok, and thought he did a great job with Mando. Then I saw love and thunder, and it worries me a bit. Love and thunder could have been great. Unfortunately they let Taika be TOO Taika. I can't really trust Kennedy to keep him from going to far from star wars. She has zero clue as to what star wars is so she won't be able to keep him in check if he starts getting too crazy.

He did seem pretty self aware about his style and star wars in an interview. So I still have hope he can do something fun that hits the star wars feels. Unfortunately until it goes in front of cameras, it's not happening. Too many projects never happened for me to trust anything Kennedy says. I don't believe the Rey movie will actually happen.

mysto

Jojo Rabbit was fantastic.
He was just an actor in the recent "Free Guy" but made a great villain.
And of course the Mandalorian, so I'm hopeful he will do something a little different for the SW franchise. He's obviously going to try, can't fault a guy for that.

DKampy

It was competent. Just don't let him write i
Jojo Rabbit was fantastic.
He was just an actor in the recent "Free Guy" but made a great villain.
And of course the Mandalorian, so I'm hopeful he will do something a little different for the SW franchise. He's obviously going to try, can't fault a guy for that.
Correct… everybody is entitled to one bad movie… even Spielberg had 1941

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom