News Chapek FIRED, Iger New CEO

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
This is quite an interesting article and two things really strike me.

The first is that Disney is actually doing quite well financially, but there is a sense Chapek is just missing something as CEO that is getting almost overwhelming. There are certainly blunders in terms of public perception, however, overall, it's not like he's had a rocky tenure so far in terms of the hard numbers he's achieved steering Disney through some very difficult years. You'd think he'd be a hero to the financial press, yet here we are.

The second thing is how loud this narrative is getting that Chapek is the wrong fit for Disney CEO and Chapek's seeming inability to course correct to address it. This, I guess, may relate to whatever that something is that's missing, which the article reasonably suggests is EQ. You get the impression that he would be mystified that the sudden firing of Rice has created so much negative coverage, was mystified about all the other things he's done that have created negative coverage, and will be mystified by the next thing he does that creates negative coverage. He really doesn't seem to understand people.
If the BoD ever does fire Chapek, I hope the reason they give is exactly what he told Rice.

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
This is quite an interesting article and two things really strike me.

The first is that Disney is actually doing quite well financially, but there is a sense Chapek is just missing something as CEO that is getting almost overwhelming. There are certainly blunders in terms of public perception, however, overall, it's not like he's had a rocky tenure so far in terms of the hard numbers he's achieved steering Disney through some very difficult years. You'd think he'd be a hero to the financial press, yet here we are.

The second thing is how loud this narrative is getting that Chapek is the wrong fit for Disney CEO and Chapek's seeming inability to course correct to address it. This, I guess, may relate to whatever that something is that's missing, which the article reasonably suggests is EQ. You get the impression that he would be mystified that the sudden firing of Rice has created so much negative coverage, was mystified about all the other things he's done that have created negative coverage, and will be mystified by the next thing he does that creates negative coverage. He really doesn't seem to understand people.
He NEVER should have had that job…or the previous one.

Practically everyone on earth knew this…it’s just playing out

Last edited:

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
LMAO did this woman (or her editor) do a single second of research? "The stock is up"!? The stock is in the gutter.
Two years in, a strange mashup is emerging: Disney's stock is way up, and so is revenue.

Two years into Chapek's reign is Feb of '22, when the stock was at around $150, up from the lockdown crash of $100.

She then acknowledges the current turndown:

This month's unusually public firing of TV content chief Peter Rice stunned Hollywood insiders, aghast at what seemed a graceless breach of industry etiquette, and spooked Disney shareholders who knocked the stock down nearly 4%....
By 2022, Disney’s stock price had dropped more than 30% from its 2021 high.

Sir_Cliff

If the BoD ever does fire Chapek. I hope the reason they give is exactly what he told Rice.
Indeed. I'm not sure I even knew who Rice was before this whole story broke, but as someone who works for a fairly large organization the idea of just being called in to the office and fired without any prior warning or explanation and after no identifiable issues with your job performance really hits me hard!

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Two years in, a strange mashup is emerging: Disney's stock is way up, and so is revenue.

Two years into Chapek's reign is Feb of '22, when the stock was at around $150, up from the lockdown crash of $100.

She then acknowledges the current turndown:

This month's unusually public firing of TV content chief Peter Rice stunned Hollywood insiders, aghast at what seemed a graceless breach of industry etiquette, and spooked Disney shareholders who knocked the stock down nearly 4%....
By 2022, Disney’s stock price had dropped more than 30% from its 2021 high.
It’s shoddy…which is typical of this type of “we’re all gonna be RICH!” Wall Street stuff.

I have a hard time taking any of this stuff too seriously.

Stock is down 52.3% since 3/21

I don’t know what that means…but is sounds pretty bad

EPCOT-O.G.

I think it’s a result of a few things. 1, Disney is a huge company that demands attention. It’s a sexy story, especially when things appear disfunctional. 2, a lot of these outlets wouldn’t have dared publish stuff like this during Iger’s era, lest they lose access and get frozen out. 3, to that point, I wouldn’t be surprised at all if Iger himself (or his loyalists) are encouraging this sort of talk, either on deep background or by pointing reporters in a certain direction. 4, setting aside the motivations for why these articles keep being written… maybe they’re being written because it is true?

Smiley/OCD

He’s a cheap crap peddler. All he understands is units and cost. Don’t get me wrong, if your goal is to make bank off merch, you need a guy like that. If you’re on a road trip with him, you might occasionally let him pick where to stop and eat, but you don’t give him the keys to the car.
Well maybe if he offered to pay for gas while he’s driving.:.

MrPromey

You get the first part then hit a paywall to continue reading
Really weird, I followed a link from Google news to get there and there was no paywall for the article. it still comes up for me just fine.

Maybe try either clearing your cache and doing a search on news.google.com and clicking the link or try doing the same from a different browser if you're still interested in reading?

JoeCamel

Really weird, I followed a link from Google news to get there and there was no paywall for the article. it still comes up for me just fine.

Maybe try either clearing your cache and doing a search on news.google.com and clicking the link or try doing the same from a different browser if you're still interested in reading?
Oh, I can get it

EPCOT-O.G.

Stock’s at $93. What is the red line for Chapek, assuming we haven’t crossed it? News keeps getting worse and worse for him.

Also, FWIW, I don’t know who the superstar CEO is waiting in the wings. I know Josh has a lot of admirers here, but beyond performative empathy his fingerprints are all over those initiatives that people want to blame Chapek for.

James Alucobond

Also, FWIW, I don’t know who the superstar CEO is waiting in the wings. I know Josh has a lot of admirers here, but beyond performative empathy his fingerprints are all over those initiatives that people want to blame Chapek for.
A lump of rock with an ounce of charisma and the ability to go to a public speaking engagement without bumbling and sweating through his suit is better than a lump of rock. 🤷‍♂️

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Stock’s at $93. What is the red line for Chapek, assuming we haven’t crossed it? News keeps getting worse and worse for him.

That guys a tool…

Nobody working for Disney currently is capable of running Disney effectively.

It takes creative and/or entertainment chops…they’ve got nothing there

EPCOT-O.G.

Something occurred to me today. Iger’s early success (and one of his proudest achievements) was the Pixar acquisition. If you look at Chapek’s moves, it seems he’s diminished (either intentionally or by poor management) the Pixar brand. I think Lasseter’s loss and some brain drain is to blame to a degree, but for a company/entity that at one point could do no wrong, it seems they’ve lost their way terribly. It’s basically another imprint now within the company. I wonder how the BOD (and Iger on the sidelines) will view the diminishment of this brand.

Ayla

All the potential CEO's were either fired or left on their own accord.

Indy_UK

106411838-1582752245437gettyimages-545168714.jpeg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom