News Reedy Creek Improvement District and the Central Florida Tourism Oversight District

peter11435

Imagine DeSantis trying to seize any Disney property and still claiming it's not a First Amendment violation. I'd hope that he's not that big of a fool.
And again… it’s not Disney’s debt. It’s the districts debt. So if that scenario were actually attempted it would be the government seizing private property to pay public debt. I think the article was probably actually referring to the state seizing district assets and not Disney assets.

Last edited:

Disstevefan1

Basically, they outline four potential solutions, each with major drawbacks. :
  • Dissolve district and assets/debt move to the counties; result in either tax increases or loss of services; not clear this can happen because of the bonds though, as the counties don't have the same ad valorum taxing capability as Reedy Creek (limited by FL constitution) and that would be in violation of the bond contracts.
  • The state could argue that the 1967 pledge in the bond contracts is invalid - but that would have catastrophic effects on the state's bond rating
  • The state could use eminent domain to seize the assets of the district and Disney and use that to pay off the bonds - but they can only do that when the district is officially dissolved (June 2023), and in the intervening year, Disney could simply divest those assets to LBV and Bay Lake. This would reduce Disney's tax bill further when the district goes away.
  • Create an MSTU to replace the district - but that can't happen under state law because two municipalities are involved and they have self-governing rights under the FL constitution
Here is a good YouTube video about what could happen. If this is true and accurate, I would be happy.

Patcheslee

Where do they protest now?

I had been looking at this map someone posted earlier: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reedy_Creek_Improvement_District#/map/0

However, someone else posted this link yesterday: https://www.rcid.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/09/RCID_City_Owner2019.pdf

If I'm reading that right, any of the roads (and water) shaded yellow are already public, owned by RCID. I assume the water is part of the water management system.

Looks like World Drive is RCID heading north until after you cross the new fly over, then it changes.
S.R. 535 and Hotel Plaza Blvd intersection at/along the Disney sign. Eastern border of Disney or RCID property. They obtained a permit from the city to be there. What I wouldn't want is changes that could bring them closer to parks and deal with harassment.

Lilofan

One won't be hearing for TWDC top PR exec. Geoff Morrell to comment on the matter. He resigned recently after only 3 months on the job. According to Chapek who he reported to, Morrell is " pursuing other opportunities ".

Disstevefan1

The guy in that video, “Valliant Renegade” worked with the “Legal Mindset” attorney from the previous video that has pretty much been debunked. So I wouldn’t put much store by this one either.
The “Legal Mindset” attorney sure had me fooled; an attorney who lives in central florida and worked on special districts.
Could you please point me to where the “Legal Mindset” attorney's points are debunked I am sincerely interested.
I hope whoever debunked him was at least an attorney who worked on special districts like he does.

Brian

One won't be hearing for TWDC top PR exec. Geoff Morrell to comment on the matter. He resigned recently after only 3 months on the job. According to Chapek who he reported to, Morrell is " pursuing other opportunities ".

Not everyone is as talented as Zenia, I guess.

nickys

Premium Member
The “Legal Mindset” attorney sure had me fooled; an attorney who lives in central florida and worked on special districts.
Could you please point me to where the “Legal Mindset” attorney's points are debunked I am sincerely interested.
I hope whoever debunked him was at least an attorney who worked on special districts like he does.
Legal Mindset lives in Miami and a quick search showed that his most popular / famous videos and tiktok involve “don’t answer any questions if you’re arrested”.. Maybe special districts don’t garner many views. 😉

But if you go back a few pages you’ll find many posts where WDW Pro attempted to address the issues raised by posters here, including attorneys I believe, only for most of his points to be refuted.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Already covered - you can scroll back at your leisure.

Disstevefan1

Disstevefan1

Legal Mindset lives in Miami and a quick search showed that his most popular / famous videos and tiktok involve “don’t answer any questions if you’re arrested”.. Maybe special districts don’t garner many views. 😉

But if you go back a few pages you’ll find many posts where WDW Pro attempted to address the issues raised by posters here, including attorneys I believe, only for most of his points to be refuted.
So WDW Pro overrules Legal Mindset. Got it.

peter11435

He doesn’t live in central Florida and how do you actually know he’s worked on special districts.

The 15 seconds I watched included him stating that Disney pays nothing towards maintaining county or state roads outside the district. This is clearly and blatantly a lie that’s easily proven wrong through publicly available tax records. He’s either intentionally lying to support his anti Disney agenda or woefully ignorant of how special districts operate. Both options completely discredit him.

mikejs78

Premium Member
So WDW Pro overrules Legal Mindset. Got it.
WDW pro was promoting legal mindset. The issue is that legal mindset stated some easy disprovable things in that video. (For example, he claims that Reedy Creek is the only special district ever created by a special act - that is easily disprovable by a quick 30 second Google Search. Daytona racetrack district, for example, was also created by special act. ). There were a number of other outright factual errors that many people here identified as being incorrect - so if he can't get basic facts right, how are supposed to accept his conclusions?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom