Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

G00fyDad

No. Sorry you are wrong.

Disney is subject to DOT rules (state and federal) for transportation. The NTSB has nothing to do with day to day operations. Disney will enact NTSB recommendations out of an accident, like the monorail accident but the NTSB does not oversee Disney. Period.
Charlie Day Reaction GIF

DisneyCane

I've been chatting with a friend today here in Miami. He's an ER doctor.

He didn't have a single covid case for the past several weeks.

He's had 17 cases since Sunday.

It's back! (really, it never left)
It never left and it's never going to leave. Back in mid 2020 I constantly said that no matter what "mitigation" you do as soon as you stop the virus will start spreading again.

correcaminos

Hey look, I guess they are really limiting attendance!!!!
I can't post the link because my post would get deleted if I did.
View attachment 633138
Happened to a friend. No joke couldn't get in after driving 1000 miles. Almost as bad as National Lampoon. Except you could hear the joyful screams inside.
It never left and it's never going to leave. Back in mid 2020 I constantly said that no matter what "mitigation" you do as soon as you stop the virus will start spreading again.
Ah but this was used to try to just let it tip with no care. That's not good either. It can fade to a nothing and if all locked down we could have but that likely would not have happened. We have vaccines and meds to help now. And this latest strand seems rather mild.

Dizneykid

It still doesn't seem like Disney is a breeding ground for the virus. We know a handful of people coming back from there without being sick including their kids too young to be vaccinated. We plan to mask for indoor areas during our trip next month but we are prepared for the fact that literally nobody else will be. I hope it does something. Getting sick on vacation is the worst. My husband's coworker got covid from her young kids a couple months ago despite being recently boosted. There's no perfect protection against this jerk illness.

correcaminos

It still doesn't seem like Disney is a breeding ground for the virus. We know a handful of people coming back from there without being sick including their kids too young to be vaccinated. We plan to mask for indoor areas during our trip next month but we are prepared for the fact that literally nobody else will be. I hope it does something. Getting sick on vacation is the worst. My husband's coworker got covid from her young kids a couple months ago despite being recently boosted. There's no perfect protection against this jerk illness.
I've been on 3 vacations in the last year to WDW. 2 had masks indoors and the last did not. We did not come back sick any of those trips. We only masked per rules and all rides/queues we did not. I saw roughly 5% or less masked. Those with little ones seemed to do it more along with seemingly more medically fragile and guessing international guests - all I totally understand. One line literally the entire 2nd row for Soarin wore them but most did not. We always wash hands before eating and never try to be all on top of people anyway. We did the same as usual on that.

I know a few boosted who caught it from their kids. Fortunately all super mild.

Enjoy your trip!

This is a great addition to the ongoing battle and cool at the same time.

I find this really cool!

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
guessing international guests
This makes a lot of sense to me. Between the scary meme that are US medical bills to non-Americans and the real possibility of not being able to return home due to a positive covid test, it wouldn't surprise me that international visitors are being more cautious.

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
The indoor mask rule was still in effect during this time frame. No way that they could have possibly been infected in the parks.
Lack of compliance/enforcement and very large crowds even in open air.

My brother in law and his fiancée were among those who were at Magic Kingdom new year's eve and tested positive in the first week of January.

JoeCamel

There is more in crowds than covid to mask against, I suggest liberal use of hand sanitizer while you are there. Have fun?

Tom P.

Lack of compliance/enforcement and very large crowds even in open air.

My brother in law and his fiancée were among those who were at Magic Kingdom new year's eve and tested positive in the first week of January.
All of the authorities on the matter say that the chances of outdoor transmission of Covid are virtually zero. That's why, even at the height of Omicron, outdoor mask mandates were virtually nonexistent. It is an indoor virus.

As for the mask issue, I find it awfully convenient that the reason for people getting sick is that, gosh darn it, people just aren't complying enough. It couldn't possibly be that the masks, which we know are blameless holy creatures, just weren't being effective at stopping Covid.

Regardless, though, if WDW truly was a breeding ground for Covid when the mask mandate was in place, that only serves to prove that such mandates are pointless. Whether it's because the masks don't work or because people don't comply, the results are the same. The mandate didn't stop the widespread transmission of Covid.

hopemax

The indoor mask rule was still in effect during this time frame. No way that they could have possibly been infected in the parks.
My Dad got it 12/22 at Epcot. He became symptomatic on 12/25. We got it from him. We had gone to Disney Springs on 12/20 and were masked / unmasked the same; in less crowded environments than in Epcot and inside indoor locations for shorter times. Otherwise we were at home between then and 12/22. Although, we did go to the grocery store. BA.1's incubation is about 3 days.

Since DH and I didn't get it at the same time he did, the two places, specifically, we thought he got it were in the 30 minute indoor queue at Living with the Land, which we refer to as virus entrapment zone. We had KN94s, he had surgical. Or in the tightly packed, hour long outdoor queue at Spaceship Earth. He was unmasked, we were.

So it's either longer incubation time (5 days to have gotten it at Disney Springs), shorter exposure (a quick trip to the grocery store) or Epcot (fits the window).

DisneyCane

My Dad got it 12/22 at Epcot. He became symptomatic on 12/25. We got it from him. We had gone to Disney Springs on 12/20 and were masked / unmasked the same; in less crowded environments than in Epcot and inside indoor locations for shorter times. Otherwise we were at home between then and 12/22. Although, we did go to the grocery store. BA.1's incubation is about 3 days.

Since DH and I didn't get it at the same time he did, the two places, specifically, we thought he got it were in the 30 minute indoor queue at Living with the Land, which we refer to as virus entrapment zone. We had KN94s, he had surgical. Or in the tightly packed, hour long outdoor queue at Spaceship Earth. He was unmasked, we were.

So it's either longer incubation time (5 days to have gotten it at Disney Springs), shorter exposure (a quick trip to the grocery store) or Epcot (fits the window).
Your dad getting it at Epcot makes sense based on the incubation period. Not exactly the gift he had wished for from Santa!

It's usually pretty breezy in the SSE queue. I don't know if you remember that level of detail from the day you were there. If I had to place a bet I would say he was infected in the LWTL queue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom