Cultural Representatives Returning to EPCOT This Summer

mattpeto

More details to come shortly, participants who were laid off in 2020 are starting to receive offers to return.
This is great news! This is one of my favorite and underrated "immersiveness" feels at WDW!
"We are doing this in a thoughtful and responsible way with the safety of our participants and working cast top of mind. With this phased re-introduction, initial recruitment will start in Germany, Norway, Italy, France, UK, and Canada for World Showcase at EPCOT. We look forward to bringing additional countries on board and sharing applications with them once they clear travel restrictions and / or have CDC-authorized vaccine availability."
This bodes well for Akershus and Monsieur Paul, but not for Takumi-Tei and Restaurant Marrakesh initally.
Don't forget the Sub-Saharan Africa and Southeast Asia programs that staff large chunks of Animal Kingdom and Animal Kingdom Lodge.

(For my money, the Sub-Saharan Africa cast are miles-away the best cast at WDW.)
For the Disney Comeback Index, I have separate line items for cultural representation at World Showcase and AK Jambo and Kidani. Hopefully they also return soon.

castlecake2.0

Original Poster
It’s very noticeable that, whatever the reason, the 6 mostly white countries are on the list and the 4 mostly not white countries are not.
Part of it could be that these countries require more Disney Cast to operate where as the others rely a lot on third party staff. Canada, UK, Germany, Norway are all fully owned and operated by Disney so it kinda makes sense that these are some areas that get priority. There’s a lot of pieces to this too, as cast working these locations currently will need to move, plus travel restrictions and visas etc etc.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I agree. It's great to see this come back. Epcot doesn't feel the same when you've got someone from Jersey serving you in Le Cellier.
It feels perfect to me…they really know how to overcharge you in restaurants in this state 🤭
Why isn’t Mexico on this list? The Asian countries being on hold makes sense, but Mexico has low Covid numbers currently.
I bet they just don’t trust the numbers…

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Part of it could be that these countries require more Disney Cast to operate where as the others rely a lot on third party staff. Canada, UK, Germany, Norway are all fully owned and operated by Disney so it kinda makes sense that these are some areas that get priority. There’s a lot of pieces to this too, as cast working these locations currently will need to move, plus travel restrictions and visas etc etc.
All of the pavilions are “owned” by Disney…you’re talking about the sponsorship/labor partnerships.

Let’s not beat around too much on this. Risk management is willing to go with the high infrastructure/vaccination rates…for now…and not the others.

Japan being the anomaly due to geography

castlecake2.0

Original Poster
All of the pavilions are “owned” by Disney…you’re talking about the sponsorship/labor partnerships.

Let’s not beat around too much on this. Risk management is willing to go with the high infrastructure/vaccination rates…for now…and not the others.

Japan being the anomaly due to geography
Like I said I’m sure there’s many reasons, but it seems to make sense they’re focusing mostly on the ones where they provide the labour for the entire operation. China only usually had about 9 Disney cast for the whole pavilion, Japan had 4, the rest were all OPs

nickys

Premium Member
I suspect visas and vaccinations will be the biggest barrier to recruiting from the Asian and African countries.

mf1972

glad to see they’ll be coming back. it took away part of the experience while walking around the world showcase. it’s a small world after all.

dreday3

"...We look forward to bringing additional countries on board and sharing applications with them once they clear travel restrictions and / or have CDC-authorized vaccine availability."

Any World Showcase Countries that don't have a CDC authorized vaccine available? Does China?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
"...We look forward to bringing additional countries on board and sharing applications with them once they clear travel restrictions and / or have CDC-authorized vaccine availability."

Any World Showcase Countries that don't have a CDC authorized vaccine available? Does China?
Many countries have in-house developed covid vaccines and therapies

CDC only has authorized 3.

I don’t know…but I doubt that China uses our medications under their us branding

Pretty ironic considering how much they make and ship back

ToTBellHop

Many countries have in-house developed covid vaccines and therapies

CDC only has authorized 3.

I don’t know…but I doubt that China uses our medications under their us branding

Pretty ironic considering how much they make and ship back
Most Chinese people are mistrustful of western medicine, in general, and certainly smart enough to avoid a Pfizer product with a different label. They’ve struggled to get older people to even accept Chinese vaccines, which is a real problem due to comorbidities. Sinovac isn’t as good as our vaccines but they desperately need those 55+ to take it before the unthinkable happens (and it seems time is short).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom